Ben Buckle Elf

Hi Comper . Heres my Elf just after its first flight. Ive now found some blue wing bands that look a bit better. Re the tail fin area , My plan is not the BB plan as that was somehow lost after fuz was started so downloaded a plan from Outer Zone . Same plan form but some  slightly different build techniques . It suggested a smaller fin for 4ch  RC . I wish I had gone for the 3ch sized fin , Slightly taller and wider  . BB one might already be bigger ?

Screenshot 2023-07-26 101401.png

Other mods include wing struts fixed using poppers as used on the Panic and carbon bottom wing dowels. Good luck and enjoy the build . Next flight , when ground dries out a bit I must try for some flying pics,

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been working on the cowl, I want it to come off in one piece so plenty of room to get to the engine. I’m still working on the shape so it’s going to take a few more days. As you can see on the pictures I’ve got a ply plate on the back and the rest is done with sheet balsa and triangular strip. 

20231231_115655.jpeg

20231231_115752.jpeg

20240103_191000.jpeg

• Like 2

Too blunt in my opinion - it does not have that 'de Haviland '  or Gypsy engine look that Engine Doctors model has.

Comper, have you seen Peter Miller's 'keyhole slot' method of fixing cowls?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 21/12/2023 at 10:27, Engine Doctor said:

I have the 60 inch 4 ch version power is an OS 40 fs . Great in the air but a pig on the ground , loves to ground loop . If I ever built another I would increase fin/ rudder area .

Great looking model.

Have you tried a bit of toe-in on the undercarriage ?

I always thought that the ground looping tendencies of vintage models stems from the very forward wheel position??

Lovely finish and colour scheme on the model although if t'were mine I would re think the bolted on struts.  So slow and fiddly, the  assembly / dis-assembly will discourage frequent and regular outings.

Nice model and a good looking design.

I don't mind the nuts and bolts I've got a 1/4 scale SE5 so the Elf is a picnic. I'll report back on the ground looping. It won't be as scary as it was for the free flight aeromodellers in 1938 they were the brave ones