Transforming a 'Dead' 3s Lipo into a viable 2s Lipo - Don't Discard it! - Step by step fix it video

I was testing an FPV tx the other day and like a fool forgot to disconnect the lipo until a while later. Put a meter on it and it read zero! Quite a recent 3s 800mA. I was not pleased. Checking cells I discovered that in fact it was only one cell that had gone to zero, two others were showing 3v + . I tried unsuccessfully to kick the zero cell into life by charging as NiCad, at NiMh, but it stubbornly stayed at zero. Reluctant to bin it I salvaged the 2 good cells and turned it into a 2s 800mA. Here's how

13 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

There's no real need to change the balance connector.  You just plug it into the 3S socket and the charger will 'know' it's a 2S LiPo as all the balance connectors on a charger are wired together.

Plugged into my charger and because one cell would not allow current to flow through it the power lead showed zero, charger said low battery, and didn't want to know? 

Yep, several of my 2S batteries started out as 3S.   I mostly use a blunt plastic tool rather than a Stanley knife.

As Geoff says, theres no need to change the balance plug, just remove or insulate the 4th wire if its a 3S to 2S fix.

Edited by Phil Green

4 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

Yep, several of my 2S batteries started out as 3S.   I mostly use a blunt plastic tool rather than a Stanley knife.

As Geoff says, theres no need to change the balance plug, just remove or insulate the 4th wire if its a 3S to 2S fix.

I was thinking after using the blade a plastic spatula would be safer!  I just went very carefully  😉

28 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

How does the charger 'know' you're plugged into the 3S or the 2S balance connector?  Mine certainly doesn't and it displays individual cell voltages.

Good question. Mine has 5 slots for balancing leads. It certainly senses the voltage on the power lead to see if it's with acceptable parameters for the settings you have chosen.   I doubt I can plug a 3s into the slot with one dead cell and tell it that it's a 2s. More importantly there was zero volts across the power lead,  so it just said 'low voltage' and wouldn't work.   My charger doesn't display individual voltages either? 

18 minutes ago, Jason Channing said:

Inside the pack the cells are still wired in series whether or not you disconnect the balance lead. Probably the daftest thing Ive read in a long time and the most dangerous.

Of course they're wired in series in the pack. I took the end one off the series, so it was two good ones in series. And the balance lead and power lead attachment points needed changing to suit a 2s not a 3s.  I am a qualified electrical engineer too as it happens 😉

It's not daft and on other groups people are telling me they already do the same thing if there's one dead cell in a pack.

Please tell me what's dangerous about it? 

Edited by Bonzo Moon
  • Like 1

I'm afraid being a qualified electrical engineer doesn't necessarily mean everything is safe.... a club mate is a qualified electrical engineer and he often connects Lipos together via their power leads to 'give a jump start' to one exhibiting a poorly cell....

• Like 1

You never said you opened the pack up and resoldered the pack and bypassing the dead cell, you made it sound like you only removed the balance lead.Sounds like a pain to save a few pounds.

Second thoughts Ill go with  my original post, Having reread the posts, as the posts suggests just removing the balance lead, 

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I'm afraid being a qualified electrical engineer doesn't necessarily mean everything is safe.... a club mate is a qualified electrical engineer and he often connects Lipos together via their power leads to 'give a jump start' to one exhibiting a poorly cell....

That's the guy we need there when you have a heart attack then.😇🤣

7 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

You never said you opened the pack up and resoldered the pack and bypassing the dead cell, you made it sound like you only removed the balance lead.Sounds like a pain in the arse to save a few pounds.

You never said you opened the pack up and resoldered the pack and bypassing the dead cell, you made it sound like you only removed the balance lead.Sounds like a pain to save a few pounds.

Did  you actually watch the video?   😉 You can see I rebuilt and rewired the pack after removing the dead cell? 

Pain in the ass for some, but I enjoy messing with stuff and OK, it saves a couple of quid too.

As I said, people are posting telling me they already do the same thing. 

My video was intended to be educational, but each to their own! 

As a matter of interest did you try and charge the one ‘dead’ cell. I’ve done that on a number of occasions, true it’s mainly been if I’ve had 1 cell that’s badly out of balance but I’ve also done it on an otherwise ‘dead’ cell. Even having done that the ‘repaired’ battery is consigned to desk duty.

16 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

As a matter of interest did you try and charge the one ‘dead’ cell. I’ve done that on a number of occasions, true it’s mainly been if I’ve had 1 cell that’s badly out of balance but I’ve also done it on an otherwise ‘dead’ cell. Even having done that the ‘repaired’ battery is consigned to desk duty.

I saw online that once a lipo has gone as far as zero they cannot be revived. 3.65v is less than 10% but I've done it from the low 3v mark. 

Worth doing for a little bit of work to have a useable 2s 800mA I reckon.  I don't like chucking stuff away! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bonzo Moon said:

Good question. Mine has 5 slots for balancing leads. It certainly senses the voltage on the power lead to see if it's with acceptable parameters for the settings you have chosen.   I doubt I can plug a 3s into the slot with one dead cell and tell it that it's a 2s. More importantly there was zero volts across the power lead,  so it just said 'low voltage' and wouldn't work.   My charger doesn't display individual voltages either? 

Sorry no, me & Geoff were both talking about the resulting 2S battery having a 3S balance plug, the faulty cell is gone at that point 🙂

You treat the repaired 2S battery as any 2S, except the balance plug (which is now a 4-way with only3 wires connected) goes into the 3S balance port.  The balance ports are simply commoned so the charger sees a 2S 👍

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1