Throttle cut will not work

Sam Longley

I thought that I had managed to down load the kindle reader on to my Ipad, from Amazon, so I ordered the book.

However, it failed to load, so I have tried to cancel it.

Whether or not I have lost my fiver I have no idea.

Stupid system not having it in book form, so one can actually read it.

Edited by Sam Longley

32 minutes ago, Sam Longley said:

I thought that I had managed to down load the kindle reader on to my Ipad, from Amazon, so I ordered the book.

However, it failed to load, so I have tried to cancel it.

Whether or not I have lost my fiver I have no idea.

Stupid system not having it in book form, so one can actually read it.

It seems Kindle downloads from Amazon no longer work on the older devices.

46 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

Just Google Futaba instruction manual 

Of course I have the manual.

Have you ever tried reading it?

Like the transmitter. OK for someone who already knows how to use it, but no use to someone who wants to know how.

Actually I put it on to motor & got lost in the menu. It should be possible to work properly in the throttle cut menue. My other planes do. Something in the menu system is over riding it.

Now I cannot get out of the motor function & function 3 is stuck on motor & i cannot get it to read throttle again. The instructions tell one how to turn motor function on but not how to turn it off again.- How frustrating is that?

I am currently unable to go to the club due to being on crutches due to a broken femour following an accident 20 weeks ago. At least I have had plenty of time to build an avanti F3 & i have now sent for plans for a Kaos 60.So by the time I get back on the fiels I will have a couple of new planes to crash

When I asked members for help no one knew how. The club chief  instructor does know how, (he sets up most people's futabas because they are so awkward), but he would not tell me, because he did not sell me the transmitter.( I would have to pay £25-00 for a flying lesson) I bought it from another model shop because they were £80-00 cheaper. He now has the hump because my wife went to buy the OS 55 for my Xmas prezzie  & he wanted £245. She bought it from Leeds model shop for £149-00 delivered. So I cannot ask him for help.

I think that my final answer will be to delete this model menu completely & copy another model to the same place then just alter all the expos end points etc to suit the new plane. But it just bugs me not knowing why I do not know the answer & no one can tell me what it is in the menu that causes it.

But thanks for your time anyway.

It does not sound like it but I do appreciate it

Sam L

Edited by Sam Longley
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sam Longley said:

The club chief  instructor does know how, (he sets up most people's futabas because they are so awkward), but he would not tell me, because he did not sell me the transmitter.( I would have to pay £25-00 for a flying lesson) I bought it from another model shop because they were £80-00 cheaper. He now has the hump because my wife went to buy the OS 55 for my Xmas prezzie  & he wanted £245. She bought it from Leeds model shop for £149-00 delivered. So I cannot ask him for help.

He seriously needs an attitude adjustment!

Sorry about your woes - it should be simple. I'm afraid I can't help as I've not touched a Futaba set for years.

Hope you sort it.

• Like 4

On 23/02/2024 at 19:37, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Sorry to hear about all your woes.

£25 for a flying lesson 😨.

Try 'function' = change motor to Throttle,,,

Sorry but I can't agree with Futaba being difficult to program, only if you are used to old radios with no functions.

But it does not , does it. One can now select what is "motor" in the function menu & it just transfers one to a screen asking if one wants to reverse it or not ( forget exact wording) It does not take one back to throttle

Anyway I have spent the afternoon copying a working program for an old trainer plane to this one then having to reset all the servos, endpoints ( What is the point of both limit & end point - I have not sussed that one yet) etc & now the plane is ready to fly

Edited by Sam Longley

On 23/02/2024 at 19:37, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Sorry to hear about all your woes.

£25 for a flying lesson 😨.

Try 'function' = change motor to Throttle,,,

Sorry but I can't agree with Futaba being difficult to program, only if you are used to old radios with no functions.

£25-00 is his standard fee for lessons, if one supplies their own plane & fuel.  I eventiually passed my "A" test on my 40Th lesson. so that cost me £1000  to get my A test- (Plus 2 models because I crashed one practicing on my own!!) I also paid him to supply & build the 2 Wot trainers & set them up.

As for programming, lots of club members have issues with it. They get it programmed & then forget how to do it. Some of the better fliers use Spectrum so there is not always anyone to ask- even if they know.

Edited by Sam Longley

On 24/02/2024 at 06:51, GrumpyGnome said:

He seriously needs an attitude adjustment!

In some ways one can understand it. One can hardly buy stuff off the internet etc then expect a model shop owner to sort the problems when they never sorld the kit in the first place.

BUT I do have top up lessons from time to time on the buddy lead, as do many of the members when they get brain fade, or new planes that need setting up.

So he charges for 1 hour lessons. Which is fair

1 hour ago, Sam Longley said:

( What is the point of both limit & end point - I have not sussed that one yet) etc & now the plane is ready to fly

Sam,

The reason for having separate limit and end points is that if you have an elevon function where the aileron input and the elevator input both control the same surface, you wouldn't want it to over-drive it when both are applied in the same direction together.

4 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Sam,

The reason for having separate limit and end points is that if you have an elevon function where the aileron input and the elevator input both control the same surface, you wouldn't want it to over-drive it when both are applied in the same direction together.

So you would have to control them separately.ie. one for end point on aileron  & one for limit as elevator.

Is that correct? Or am I talking rubbish?

That means some form of additional control deep down in the menu.

Now that has me wondering. Is that control - Whatever it may be-  overiding the throttle cut by affecting the limit somehow

Do you fly at a commercial facility run by the model shop owner?  The idea of charging for lessons in a club environment would be alien to many of us - and are these charges for flying time or for an unspecified number of flights in a one hour “slot”?  We are lucky enough to have a local shop owner as a very enthusiastic member and he goes out of his way to assist both customers and other members with his time and generous discounts. 

40 hours of instruction to A standard seems rather excessive if it was pure flying time.

My experience is that cramming in too much flying over a very short timescale or extended flight times can be counter productive - a 10 minute flight is the practical limit for most people (an observant instructor will usually notice a drop off in performance and lessening capacity to absorb guidance around this point) and a rest/chat/watching others flying between flights is usually best. 

Were you assessed by an independent examiner?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Do you fly at a commercial facility run by the model shop owner?  The idea of charging for lessons in a club environment would be alien to many of us - and are these charges for flying time or for an unspecified number of flights in a one hour “slot”?  

40 hours of instruction to A standard seems rather excessive.

My experience is that cramming in too much flying over a very short timescale or extended flight times can be counter productive - a 10 minute flight is the practical limit for most people (an observant instructor will usually notice a drop off in performance and lessening capacity to absorb guidance around this point) and a rest/chat/watching others flying between flights is usually best. 

Were you assessed by an independent examiner?

It is a good flying club, with really helpful, friendly members. The instructor is a BMFA chief examiner & 2-3 days a week instructing is his income. Lessons are 1 hour broken into 3 -20minute sessions. There is a break in between whilst others fly.

That works very well.

He also does helicopter lessons on same basis at £35-00 per hour.

He decides when one is fit to take the test & will not do so untill he says so

Edited by Sam Longley

I did charge a guy who was learning how to fly but as he didn't have a suitable trainer I charged him £1 for every flight with my trainer aircraft which I thought was fair as I'd paid over £300 to get it up and running.  He was quite happy with that especially since it was all properly setup and we didn't waste ages getting the motor started etc!  Choke, back flick or two and engine running. 

I couldn't think of any situation where I'd charge to teach someone, other than it was a business venture I'd set up.

Use my model, at worse you'd provide the fuel.

Taking money whilst using a scheme set up, and paid for by the BMFA membership seems questionable at the very least, maybe I'm misunderstanding what's been said ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Longley said:

In some ways one can understand it. One can hardly buy stuff off the internet etc then expect a model shop owner to sort the problems when they never sorld the kit in the first place.

BUT I do have top up lessons from time to time on the buddy lead, as do many of the members when they get brain fade, or new planes that need setting up.

So he charges for 1 hour lessons. Which is fair

I don't agree, but don't want to hijack your thread any further...... 🙂

28 minutes ago, Sam Longley said:

The instructor is a BMFA chief examiner & 2-3 days a week instructing is his income. Lessons are 1 hour broken into 3 -20minute sessions. There is a break in between whilst others fly.

For me that opens a huge can of worms.

If he is operating commercially, then is the unmanned aircraft a "model aircraft"? Is he operating in the open subcategory A3 or does he have a commercial authorisation (or does he think that the BMFA's Article 16 covers him)? Does he have commercial insurance in place?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, steve too said:

For me that opens a huge can of worms.

If he is operating commercially, then is the unmanned aircraft a "model aircraft"? Is he operating in the open subcategory A3 or does he have a commercial authorisation (or does he think that the BMFA's Article 16 covers him)? Does he have commercial insurance in place?

I would rather not go down that route.

He is useful to the club bringing in new members & is very popular.

He is an asset that we would not wish to be without &  I cannot fault his method of instruction, albeit sometimes taking a long time.

That may be due to the trainee

But someone who has had lesson & passes a test with him will be competent.

What is better? Someone who cannot fly properly & is a danger to themself & others, or someone who is really competent to fly on their own?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been setting up a new model and the things I have found by comparing one model that works and one where it doesn't.

Firstly, I always set the %age to 0 otherwise it seems to work backwards where the throttle closes only when it's still active.

Secondly, if the servo rate is set much above 100% the throttle cut function diminishes to  no effect, I found this happens at around 115%. If this is a problem, then the only fix is mechanical by changing the linkage.

Once these are corrected, the only thing left is to set the switch to operate in the preferred direction.

• Like 1