Warbirds Replicas Hawker Tempest V -Mass Build 2024(part two) .

Advert

9 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

The yellow one is a Tempest, the colours are that of a target tug, not a glorious finale for such a great aeroplane. 

But at least it kept them going for a bit longer rather than being dumped on the scrap heap. Rudolf was much the same and I’m going to paint my belly yellow (lower down has already developed that colour naturally 🤮 🥴) to try and eke out a few more years too.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Haha 2

There are quite a few chaps who I'm pretty sure want the Tempest who haven't ticked the "Like box" on the last page . 

Understandable as they get swamped with different threads and postings. 

At the moment ive got 17 likes and confirmed and say three in PMs , but from my notes and correspondence Ive got over 35 .

Not to worry , I'm fairly confident that the 35 number is pretty accurate . 

I am sure they will all confirm in due course Richard but you could always PM them individually, as some people are not forum junkies (like me) and only visit the site infrequently. I doubt anyone would think you are hasseling them but just trying to get a firmer ideas of numbers (which could influence the price). 😊

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I reckon getting rid of 35 will be no problem Richard especially when we all see your finished example. I’m more concerned about B&Q running out of sample pots of paint.

That actually happened at the local B and Q, I went in one day for a colour match and they only had pots for stone paint and would not use them even though the size and price was identical. I had to go back 3 days later when the correct pots came in. 

Edited by Eric Robson

B and Q will never run out of sample pots if you take something in to be scanned. Those are then bespoke colours which you can save to your profile. I'm getting towards the bottom of my sample pot of Sky Type S, which has provided for several models in the past few years.

7 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

B and Q will never run out of sample pots if you take something in to be scanned. Those are then bespoke colours which you can save to your profile. I'm getting towards the bottom of my sample pot of Sky Type S, which has provided for several models in the past few years.

I did take a sample to be scanned Brian,  the store has,  I think 3 different pots bar coded for the type of paint requested. I wanted matt emulsion, they did not have that pot in stock.

On 03/04/2024 at 08:33, RICHARD WILLS said:

There are quite a few chaps who I'm pretty sure want the Tempest who haven't ticked the "Like box" on the last page . 

Understandable as they get swamped with different threads and postings. 

At the moment ive got 17 likes and confirmed and say three in PMs , but from my notes and correspondence Ive got over 35 .

Not to worry , I'm fairly confident that the 35 number is pretty accurate . 

I wonder if the talk of the next model in the series has folks thinking about skipping the Tempest, just a thought? 

• Like 1

Didn’t you read the small print?

You may only purchase the next kit if you can prove that you have built either the FW190 or the Tempest. Failure to do so renders your order invalid. Please note that any monies hereto forewarned in lieu of dispatch of the next model will be forfeit and you will not be entitled to receipt of a refund because that’s the price you pay for being a smart arse and for trying to jump the progression. If you feel that these terms are unjust and an infringement of your rights as a human being, tough coz them’s the rules and if you don’t like them you are quite welcome to take it up with ‘the boys’, best of luck there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I liked that Ron , very funny 😁

I think its just that some of the guys dont read all of the threads . Lets face it , we do twitter on a bit . 

About ten haven't responded . 

In this case I'm going to make 40 and stock about 20 or so motors and maybe 30 decal sets initially ( It all adds up to quite a bill , as you can imagine ) .

If Some have changed their mind , it doesnt matter as I'm confident with this one that others will take the spare kits . 

13 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Didn’t you read the small print?

You may only purchase the next kit if you can prove that you have built either the FW190 or the Tempest. Failure to do so renders your order invalid. Please note that any monies hereto forewarned in lieu of dispatch of the next model will be forfeit and you will not be entitled to receipt of a refund because that’s the price you pay for being a smart arse and for trying to jump the progression. If you feel that these terms are unjust and an infringement of your rights as a human being, tough coz them’s the rules and if you don’t like them you are quite welcome to take it up with ‘the boys’, best of luck there.

Don't worry about the boys, there too busy playing with their dollies to care😝

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Learner said:
20 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Don't worry about the boys

Obviously you haven't met the boys...especially the green one.

Survival kit. LOTS  of sugar based confectionery for the green one.

Ankle protection for the little grey one.

It helps if you can borrow a ice hockey goalkeepers kit.

You might just make it....

Might!

12 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Obviously you haven't met the boys...especially the green one.

Survival kit. LOTS  of sugar based confectionery for the green one.

Ankle protection for the little grey one.

It helps if you can borrow a ice hockey goalkeepers kit.

You might just make it....

Might!

I blame their trainer, their spoilt and lack discipline. 

• Like 1

I have finished covering the Tempest and would recommend not trying to cover the whole fuselage side in one piece . 

There are a lot more curves on the Tempest compared to the 190 , so its fine to take the covering in bite-size chunks . 

I never worry about the brown paper joints. In fact I'm proud to say that you would all be pretty horrified at my brown paper finish on this model !

The point I am making is that this model is a quick build and will earn its keep . Its no Hanger Queen . 

However, I hope to show you that despite a woeful lack of care and preparation before painting , we can still pull off a bit of a looker . 

I can see Paul cringing and Graham R wringing his paws . 

Have a good look at the hastily and scantily applied white . I'm particularly impressed with the all time low Ive achieved . 

The thing is , we are going to .............

camouflage it . Consequently , from 5 feet away , you wont see it . Good isnt it ?

IMG_6820.jpg

• Like 5

BTW , that Pool table was the wifes Christmas present . Next year , she's getting a Jet Ski ...

I like doing the full invasion striped British paint job , especially after the very fluid style of the mottled German camo , as it makes a nice change . 

Obviously I have brushed (you can see that !) some white valspar emulsion on . Let it dry then mark on where the stripes will go . They will be on the plan to help you .

Its dead easy as they are two inched wide so 5x2" equals a nice simple section 10" long . 

Main thing is to keep them straight . So mark the centre line of the whole wing then do parallel lines from that . I pencil mark them first . 

For the fuselage you need a line running along the length parallel to the top of the fuselage sides . Then with a piece of square card you can draw vertical lines every two inches . 

IMG_6821.jpg

• Like 2

I've used two simple methods on the stripes so that you can choose what suits you . 

The first method was to just go over my pencil lines with a black sharpie pen , then simply paint up to the line . Straight forward really . 

If you are feeling confident in your masking tape (green Frog tape is very good ) , you can try a different approach by masking off the white areas and then brushing black quickly over the lot . 

Either method works . The first method might suit those of a more nervous disposition . 

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

They dont need to be that brilliant , but please get them straight , otherwise you will hate it . I was a little more careful on the top surface !

The fuselage is masked on the sides first , then across the top and bottom so that the stripes look straight from above . 

You can see that with a full set of stripes , there isnt that much of the plane left to paint !

The black canopy is only for temporary amusement . 

This kind of camo is quite straight forward and a useful lesson for the future . The basic premise is that the light paint should be applied first . 

So its on with the white . 

If we didnt have decals ( we do ) we would also put white circles where the roundels would be . Yellow rings are also an issue , so we might provide a white base for them too. 

The big mistake some people do is paint the plane green and grey , then try to paint pale coloured squadron codes on top . 

Ten coats and three weeks later and they are still cursing . 

IMG_6827.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

Edited by RICHARD WILLS
  • Like 2