Spektrum or similar transmitter

Hoochykins

Advert

2 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

You are putting the cart before the horse.
Join a club.

Speak to other members, especially the instructor(s).

Ask for recommendations.

Make a reasoned decision.

Purchase transmitter.

I speak from experience, decided to return my first Tx purchase as I realised that compatibility with instructor's equipment was a big advantage.

I second that , join a club. Normally there will be somebody that has tx/rx for sale. You know where it comes from.

Bas

You do. But you don't know it's history, or how it's been treated.  Nor the individual selling it.

In time, as you become clubmates, it is much less risky than buying from a total stranger....

@Hoochykinseven if you don't go down the club route, there'll probably be some local slope soarers with their various transmitters, who will be happy to talk. Not while they are flying  or rigging their models though...

So to confirm 4 in 1 (LBT) is the version I should be going for? Based in the UK and want to use all receivers I can.

I do understand joining a club and speaking to people is the age old solution but as advised in my first post I haven't been to a club yet (weather being terrible and other commitments including catching Covid have delayed me) and I am going to be handing the FlySky kit over to my friend which means I can upgrade to a model that will stay with me for a while to come, this is why I wanted your recommendations on Spektrum equipment and equivalent products.

15 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Be very careful buying any 2nd hand transmitter. Some people are dishonest. Offload a faulty (intermittent) to the next sucker. Unless you trust totally the seller, don’t go there. Listen to Shaun Walsh, post above, getting into, or returning to this hobby ain’t easy, a mentor, teacher, coach whatever can’t be expected to learn the programming of a strange brand. No coach= loads of broken airframes. 

Unless I knew the owner and was happy that he'd looked after the tranny, I'd never advise anyone to buy a second hand piece of radio gear. It's just too much of a gamble that you'll wind up with a careless individual's cast off, and wind up with a lot of expensive trouble.

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If you're going to get one before joining a club then that is an excellent choice.

So yes, I'd recommend that, but I'd get it from a UK shop ... e.g. https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/radiomaster-tx16s-mkii/

So the 4 in 1 (LBT) version is what I should be getting? From what I have read it's the one to get for Europe.

I was only showing the basket of the manufacturers site, I will source from where is cheapest but I do want the Gen 2 version.

Rather than the Radiomaster TX16 I bought the Radiomaster Zorro. 99% the same functionality as the TX16 in a very much smaller and more ergonomic box.
I also have a Spektrum NX8 but the receivers have got so pricey I am mostly playing with the Zorro.

KB

35 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I just can't get my head around the 'game controller' format.... 🙂

It's a matter of personal taste. I just feel the controls fall to hand nicely on the zorro, but I realise it's not for everyone. It has the same number of channels and the same trims as a big radio.

It's a great little package and the 4-in-1 module will let you bind to almost any receiver no matter what the brand or protocol.
I'm still getting used to mine and I find EdgeTX a bit of a steep learning curve but You-Tube is your friend for learning anything these days.

Edited by Keith Billinge
Stupid Brain!
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If you're attracted by the size, Radiomaster do smaller radios in a traditional format......

I use a radiomaster pocket for slope soaring, very happy with it.

I didn’t get on with the TX16 due to its size, my small hands couldn’t reach the switches and I found it too heavy. The boxer worked better for me, only found this out by fondling other club members TXs which I’m pleased I did before buying on paper specs alone.

Edited by PDB

I've been thinking of buying a Radio Master TX 16S for some time but the price of central heating oil has prevented me from actually buying one! Several have mentioned that the 16S is very large, 287 mm x 129 mm x 184 mm according to the specs. That's 11.3" x 5" x 7.2" for those more used to Imperial measurements. I assumed that 129mm (5")was the depth of the box then it occurred to me that it must include the length of the sticks as well! My Spektrum DX9 measures 180 x 102 x 170 including the length of the sticks (7" x  4" x 6.7"). The Radio Master also weighs 150 grammes or 5ozs heavier. 

Is the Radio Master Pocket transmitter compatible with Spektrum receivers?

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

I've been thinking of buying a Radio Master TX 16S for some time but the price of central heating oil has prevented me from actually buying one! Several have mentioned that the 16S is very large, 287 mm x 129 mm x 184 mm according to the specs. That's 11.3" x 5" x 7.2" for those more used to Imperial measurements. I assumed that 129mm (5")was the depth of the box then it occurred to me that it must include the length of the sticks as well! My Spektrum DX9 measures 180 x 102 x 170 including the length of the sticks (7" x  4" x 6.7"). The Radio Master also weighs 150 grammes or 5ozs heavier. 

My Radiomaster Tx16s feels no bigger than a normal size Tx but it does feel solid but no more than my old Hitec Aurora. I find it sits nice in my hands with shaped rubber hand holds.

The RM pocket transmitter does not work with DSM2 or DSMx receivers as it only has the CC2500 protocols.

The RM Boxer is available with a 4 in 1 module so will work with Spectrum receivers but I've never held one so I can't comment on what they feel like.

I've got small hands and don't find my TX16 to be overly large in use - the screen does take up a lot of space!

You may also consider the smaller FrSky 'mini' Taranis transmitters. Whilst the set is only compatible with FrSky receivers, you can plug an iRange lite external mpm unit in the hack, allowing compatibility with loads of receivers, including DSM2 and DSMX. 

Not sure if the smaller Radiomaster sets are the same...

5 hours ago, David Davis said:

Not sure where you got those dimensions but my TX16s is much smaller than that at 180 x 180 x 100ish deep including sticks. It is is chunkier than my old DX6i but much nicer feel and build quality.

IMG_20240424_151325_HDR.jpg

Edited by Outrunner
added photo