Some projects that have hit the back burner of late.

toto

So ........ as I concentrate on my flying .... a couple of projects have taken a back seat as there is no realistic opportunity to use them.

But ..... they have not been forgotten. 

first up ...... the Twin Otter

P1120708.thumb.JPG.e7aa22934884fb4c97f15784d9ded311.JPG

built ... initial testing and some settings in the TX ...... will require a full update to test settings and exchange between my NX8 and NX6 for buddying. Not likely to happen until I have attained solo ..... and flew the hell out of my current trainer ...... the PA 18 supercub .... ( great model ).

Next up ....... My Tiger 3 from Phoenix models .....

P1120709.thumb.JPG.d056dc22e8c394cdb8456fdae971f125.JPG

I had issues with this getting the control rods to align without severe stress ( in terms of routing between servo and control surface ) 

So butchered it ( rightly or wrongly ) in order to improve the lineage.

P1120710.thumb.JPG.3e6cb16a7d1014447cd27f6cfbba2c8c.JPG

and  .....

P1120711.thumb.JPG.d6180df2ad68ee195a67e8a0b7af1bf6.JPG

so I need to revisit this and install the rods etc and get it working smoothly with the stress before recovering it.

I have oracover stuff of the correct colours to do that.

lately, I have not had the time or inclination to do either ..... but now the lighter nights are coming in I am getting my enthusiasm back to do both.

So these projects shall be revived in their respective build  ( ahem ) assembly posts.

Spring  summer is here.

toto 

Advert

I wouldn’t worry. We all get stuck with stuff that is so important when bought, and are now sliding away. Decent post solo hacks. Experience says, that is a destructive area when airframes get lot of destruction.

sooner or later, you want to improve, you need it close, to see. One mistake, one airframe.

eventually the loss rate lessens, and you happily fly low. Don’t worry. 

It's also been about space as well. Just not enough to have several projects on the go at any one time. Maybe a good thing in my case or there would be more models than I am actually ready to fly. Sort of keeps a semi sensible lid on things.

Must admit though, I am more than happy to stand by my supercub at the moment whilst I learn. A great model.

Toto

I'd just leave them. When you go solo, you'll need to practice practice practice on the Super Cub until everything is second nature........... you shouldn't need anything else for months.  I'd say the Super Cub will take you through this years flying.  And you may take more care of it if there is nothing else ready to go....

• Like 1

Fair ..... and probably sensible suggestion. 

My Otter is in the way at the moment though so maybe just a case of dismantling the wings and placing on an available rack space. Keep the supercub on the stand instead. Can't speak highly enough of the supercub ..... especially for beginners ....... in my opinion.

Never gave space enough real though when I was in accumulating mode. Still ..... plenty replacement models when one inevitably bites the dust. :classic_laugh:

They'll all keep.

Toto

Dismantling sounds sensible.

Once you've gone solo, you WILL damage the Super Cub - we will help you resist the temptation to move on to another model rather than repair it......

When learning, I couldn't afford replacement models, so had to learn how to fix things.  Skills acquired like this last a lifetime.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 2

Repairs ..... hmmmmm ..... 

Resist I shall try ..... :classic_laugh:

Still awaiting the release of a horizontal stabilisor for an other wise perfect FMS Beaver ...... that's nearly a year now ..... not impressed with the FMS spares availability at all. .... so far a waste of nearly £ 500.00 

I still live and hope.

Toto

I'd have lost patience and built a replacement myself 🙂

If you don't have the skills, or confidence, a clubmate is pretty much guaranteed to offer to help -  one of the benefits of joining a club. You don't need it yet but the skills learnt will be useful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Beaver is a lovely big model and flys off 6s's. 

Nice weight so does not get pushed around in the wind so much. I still maintain the horizontal stabilisor was flawed as it gave up a few feet in the air prior to landing. Not much point chasing FMS or the dealer on it though as the spares just aren't available in the UK.

I have replacement dubro wheels for it as the stock items are brick hard and the undercarriage is as soft as cheese and always bends no matter how good the landing. The inflatables will help with that but I'm not wasting time fitting them until I am sure that she will be able to fly again.

FMS need a good stiff kicking in my opinion...... maybe a Scottish attitude problem though. :classic_laugh:

Toto

Edited by toto

38 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I'd have lost patience and built a replacement myself 🙂

Me too, many of the aeroplanes are limited runs and spares run out. I've repaired foamies for people who were going to bin them due to lack  of spares.

12 hours ago, toto said:

Repairs ..... hmmmmm ..... 

Resist I shall try ..... :classic_laugh:

Still awaiting the release of a horizontal stabilisor for an other wise perfect FMS Beaver ...... that's nearly a year now ..... not impressed with the FMS spares availability at all. .... so far a waste of nearly £ 500.00 

I still live and hope.

Toto

Make one or repair the original using some carbon spars to strengthen . No point in it jus sitting waiting for an unobtainable part . If the original one failed then its likely a design fault and the reason you cant get a replacement. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

Posted (edited)

Which is fine if you are confident enough to do the fix.

I made a bit of a dogs dinner of trying before and whilst still having the original parts, suspect it's beyond repair. .... at least by me anyway.

Cheers

Toto

Edited by toto

I have managed to source a horizontal stabilisor from Hobbyland and they have taken my order based on UK shipping with no issue. lets see if this one makes it through and how long it takes. hopefully not just pouring good money after bad. I just want to have the model airworthy again.

fingers crossed.

toto

Hi grumpy,

apologies missed your post there.

I may try my mentor and see what he thinks. just a little bit reluctant to hit him with any more really. His time on flying is already a big commitment I feel.

toto

Posted (edited)

I decided to go out into the shed and have another look at the Beaver damage.

P1120712.thumb.JPG.38a7232624ba22b565198dfcfc3af7f2.JPG

Took the damaged half of the horiontal stabilisor off ....

P1120713.thumb.JPG.2a386b0c7c2901926f066010d794624a.JPG

leaving the undamaged half on ....

P1120714.thumb.JPG.d13eb4630538a831f79704d483d7c293.JPG

here is where it broke off. Couldn't have been in a more awkward place.

P1120715.thumb.JPG.b3ac3c1ac9c6c87954504b676244eddb.JPG

right beside the plastic slotty inny bit.

P1120716.thumb.JPG.b83e327c2a74f5268055d06ae7aac9f6.JPG

and here it is again....

P1120717.thumb.JPG.4ca466bcc9f6220e2ea72324563ec3b5.JPG

I took the hairy hinges out that I had previously tried to fit in order to start again.....

P1120718.thumb.JPG.af92b8bf9f2a894650b71b87d90ac19d.JPG

and again ....

P1120719.thumb.JPG.af9f5ce167ce2c531bf7af999dabc97a.JPG

its a mess .....

P1120720.thumb.JPG.6a56fd15913f8482dabb19f69ced989b.JPG

i need to bridge that split with something to strengthen the join .....

P1120721.thumb.JPG.63997eb372f6bc3e26deb93f6ee6e796.JPG

and once thats done ..... refit some new hinges in the fresh area along both edges avoiding the previous hinge slots. P1120722.thumb.JPG.de06fea78dc45228704a4200b898ec15.JPG

the red tape marks the spot for the new hinges to be slotted into the wing.

Thats where I am for now ....... nothing to lose by trying the repair. If its not good then I will await the new part to come

toto 

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

If you are going to use carbon rod I would sharpen the end with some sandpaper to a nice point which will make it slide easily into the foam. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it goes in straight! Having made the hole with the carbon rod, withdraw it and push some epoxy down the hole as well on the carbon rod. Gorilla glue could be an alternative. I wouldn’t use cyano in this instance as it may go off before you have it fully in place! I am assuming the model is made of EPO. 

Philips favoured method is also mine too, carbon strips let into the surface of the foam. The problem is the plastic moulding ‘thingy’ will have to have a slot cut, with a junior hacksaw I suggest, to facilitate the the strip running from the root across the break to reinforce it.  Use a sharp scalpel blade to make the rest of the cut in the foam which will enable you to push the strip into the foam. Once in place run thin cyano along the top of the carbon which will wick into the (EPO) foam. You don’t need foam safe cyano on EPO and it does work best on this type of repair in my experience. An accelerator spray will set it solid to form a very strong joint. Two strips could be even stronger. Good luck.

OK...

I don't have carbon rod / strip at hand. I did have a bit kindly donated by a club member some time ago but I've stored it " somewhere safe ". 

So .... I think I'm going to go with this idea.......

Bore a couple of holes through the plastic end joiner up through the middle of the wing and insert cocktail sticks impregnated with 2 part epoxy. 

Put a thin layer of micropore to cover the external ( previously made ) joints and apply a layer of thin foam friendly cyno. Also apply some micropore along the join between the foam and the plastic where it joins and again, apply some Cyno.

What do you think ...... Worth a bash ?

Toto

Holes + cocktail sticks is the way to go. Have you got any Gorilla Glue brown, the expanding type? If so use that instead of epoxy as it will foam into the voids in the foam. Smear some over the cocktail sticks before you insert them and apply it to the split line then stick masking tape over the joint as this will help prevent too much expanding out from the joint. Personally I wouldn’t use any form of cyano in repairing this type of break.