Cyanoacrylate safety

John Cole

I keep a plastic bowl of water to hand when using CA.  Yesterday I used it, and I thought I would tell you what it's for:

The top came off my large bottle of CA, and I got quite a bit on my fingers.  I immediately put the fingers in the water.  If you do that the CA "goes off" instantly, eliminating the risk of your fingers sticking to each other or something else (like the rag you thought you could wipe it off with!).

Myron: I think you probably could it you really wanted to, but it wouldn't taste the same.

Seriously though, hardened CA is quite brittle and after 24 hours most of it has just disappeared from my fingers.  As I'm sure you know, CA was developed for emergency wound-closure on the batlefield (which is why modellers' packs are marked "Not Sterile" - to dissuade you from using it to "heal" scalpel-cuts -but it works for me), but although it glues flesh nicely, the oil coming out of your skin makes the CA detach from it.

I picked up a bunch of tools I'd been using indoors to take them out to my shed and the bottle of thin cyano which was amonst them leaked...a few seconds later I had spanners, screwdrivers, scalpel, fingers etc. in a big blob - Edward Scissorhands eat your heart out!

10 minutes in hot soapy water and the tools had been separated from their new home and I had some serious finger picking to do over the next day or so...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Surprised Myron hasn't told you this one - but guitarists sometimes use CA for toughening up the finger tips on the fretting hand if you haven't played for little while. Not tried it myself - never not played for long enough obviously!

The other day my daughter got me making some waving streamers for a christmas party. I decided to CA the ribbon to the sticks - ended up with my fingers covered! Fortunately the same daughter spends a lot of time on her appearence - so I "sequestered" some of her nail vanish remover. She then complained because "You've used loads". Never happy unless they are complaining women, and it starts at an early age  It made me think of another possible use - one that might get me a little peace and quiet, at least for a while! (Only joking dear...honest)

BEB

• 10 months later...
Following an 'arrival' with my MS Blade dancer I setabout gluing the front end back on.
Coating one mating face with CA kicker then putting the other face almost touching I squirted CA into the gap then pushed the faces tightly together. At this point I noticed my hand getting very hot. OH BOTHER I said . I then realized that the excess CA had dripped onto my hand and found that it gets very hot when setting with kicker, result, two painfull blisters between ring and index finger of left hand.
Luckily I can do the Vulcan salute to prevent them sticking together .
Take care.
PS The repair worked.

a couple of month's ago i decided to open up the end of my finger with a brushless motor c/w a 3" prop........turning about 20.000 RPM...didn't feel anything....but when i went to the local A and E...they used superglue to put it back together......the sort they used i was told is absorbed by the body.....think it was Zap....not the cheap stuff......three cheer's for the NHS.....

ken anderson   ne...1.

I got some in my eye not so long ago which i think i put on a post somewhere on here! Not a pleasant feeling at all as i quite like my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was putting the top back on a Zap bottle and it has that refreshing "Click" sound when it is on properly. The problem is, that "Click" splashed some residual Cyano into my eye!
I immediately ran to the sink and flushed my eye for several minutes whilst trying to contain the panic that i would go blind!!!! (Always have been a little hypercondriact)

A phone call to NHS direct advised to go to A+E so i did.
They then flushed it some more and examined it. 
Everything appeared normal apart from one tiny bit of Cyano on my eyeball and they let me go. They said the Cyano would come off naturally with time due to the fluids my eye would produce, which it did.
No side effects since and eye sight as before.
Not nice at all though!!

Protection is definitely wise!!!  

i have a couple of elderly relative's who at their time of life req the help of the NHS.......i would def shout 3 cheer's for the men and women who work in it and help us to get through our MOT's......worth their weight in gold.........we are all quick to site example's of when they get it wrong etc......but compared to private and the rest - i will allway's sing the praises of it/and the staff .......sorry for going off thread mod's.....

ken anderson   ne....1.