What's your favourite aviation based movie?

I don't know if this has been done before - but I searched thread titles on films and movies and couldn't find anything. So,...

Following on from FTB's comments about 633 Squadron in another thread, what's your favourite aviation based movie? I don't mean a documentary or video about a show, I mean a movie - you know actors and all that .

It doesn't have to be "about planes" as such, but obviously planes/helicopters etc. have to feature heavily!

For me its probably "Reach for the Sky" (story of Douglas Bader) - lots of real Spitfire/Hurricane footage and even footage of an old Avro 504 and a Bulldog.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 31/12/2009 20:29:37

Advert

The Blue Max is great the new Red Baron movie is terribly.

633 squadron is a classic and so is Top Gun

>>

I also saw recently the bbc series wings that was very good Piece of Cake was not so good. >>

>>

12 O’clock High is a very good film but not for the flying scenes

Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels is one of mine...

One of the earliest talkies (Hughes re-filmed it at enormous cost when sound arrived) - the dialogue is atrocious but the flying sequences were flown by authentic veterans in the real aircraft. Shame about WW1 being flown over the American desert!

I've even seen scenes from the film used in  serous documentaries purporting to be original footage from WW1

I've never seen it on TV and when I bought a copy I had to get a region 1 DVD as I couldn't find it on region 2.  Does anyone remember if it's ever been shown over here since its original release?

I like Reach for the sky too, as well as BOB.  Although not truly a film about aviation in its truest sense, I also like Apollo 13 a lot.  Another good movie which does have some element of aviation in it is Behind Enemy Lines.... the intital shooting down sequence early in the film is a good demo of "proper film" interspaced with just enough CGI to remain convincing - still shakes the rafters when played on the big screen and the DD amp cranked up high
Drifting off topic for the very first time this year, I must say that I find the so called "blockbusters" which are almost entirely CGI completely boring....stuff like "Independance Day" and all that rubbish - an aviation version was "Pearl harbour"  - full of OTT self proclaimimg great american hero corniness....and not a decent bit of aeroplane filming anywhere.

Yes CGI over done ruins a film. but Timbo "behind enemy lines" I hate this film. It claims to be based on true events. It was true a pilot was shot down but the real story was he hid in a barn until a rescue team traced his beacon then picked him up. The hole film is just a big lie.

I particularly like the like the scene as he runs past the exploding land mines. The first one would have ripped him apart.>>

'The Great Waldo Pepper' -overlooked film, very hard to find on DVD.

But, if you are interested in 1920's aviation, a must see. Funny, dramatic, tragic, dark and spectacular with some good acting. Apparently all the aerial shots and stunts were filmed for real, with no stand-in actors, no CGI here.

There are some scenes that have stayed in my mind for over 30 years, the crashing through the barn, the undercarrige trick, the kid sent off to get fuel, the fire, the fall. etc. Ten/10

See it if you get the chance.

Would it be off topic to think of the worst aviation film ever?

The worst I  think would be the one with Steven Segal (best when playing KC Ryback) wich involves that invisable plane that gets stolen..,. Terible.

And although I agree that Appollo 13 is a great film (one of my all time faverites) I do not think that it is sttictly an avaition fim.