The Mode Survey - what do you fly?

Advert

I learnt to fly mode 1 at the Wereham Model club in Dorset.

I flew mode 1 until I learnt Helicopters about 4 years ago, when I switched to mode 3 (I think).  I started tyrying to fly Heli's with the swash plate on 2 seperate stickes (mode 1), but soon switch to mode 3 so that my swash plate is on my left stick.  Soon after I converted my aeroplanes to the same, so I fly elevator/ailerons (left) and throttle/rudder (right).

So nowI fly mode 3.

mode 2  
n.yorkshire  
s.e. london  
self taught with a few pointers from friends

I learnt to fly at croydon airport and epsom race course, flying mode 1, as everybody (more or less) flew that mode.  I changed to mode 2 about 5 years ago, as most of the RTF models are that mode.  I have always been able to fly both modes so that I could help out newcomers.  Now though I fly more or less exclusively on mode 2.  So I flew mode 1 for about 30  years.
        There was always a N. S divide,  south prefering mode 1 and N mode 2,  but I think that has now changed because of the RTF preferance of modern modelers.

Good luck all and smooth landings.    Bob (York N.Yorkshire)

I bought a 27mgh Accoms 2 channel set and tried to teach myself on a Mini phase glider  on the slope. No success.
I was taught  Mode 2 as this was the more popular one in use with the Dark Peak Club in Derbyshire. A big thank you to John Whiteside for his patience.  I have flown Mode 1 but it's like patting your head & rubbing your chest, or is it the other way round?
I still fly Mode 2, slope & electric now on the Isle of Man.
T.C.