Snowed in !!!!

Andy Freeman

Advert

I'm back in work tomorrow so hopefully it'll carry on snowing all night, we've had 4 inches so far today and its started snowing again. The airport I work at has been shut today, only heard 1 plane go over all day!  The main road outside is like a car park too, nobody can seem to drive over the canal bridge! Ha HA, bring on a snow day!

still no snow here in kent yet........but the friday before christmad we were snowed in and did'nt see the postie for 4 days it seems all of TWBC could'nt get in either as not one of the footpaths in even the town were cleared......it makes you wonder what they do with the council tax each year but you can lay money they'll be knocking on the door with the bill in may!!!!
steve

Andy the weasel, is snowed in at work. woke up this morning. the snow is about 2ft deep,  more forcast for the morn. was ment to finnish my shift the night. could be hear for a few more days. still there is plenty of food left in the cave.  and there is the R.A.F BOULMER SEA KING just down the road, to airlift us out if need be...

regards weasel stuck  in the middle of the chatton  moors........

Locally we keep getting slight thaw then freeze, more snow, then repeat again. Makes for difficult conditions underfoot. perhaps four inch deep. Elsewhere up to a couple of feet of snow.
A lot of Highland region is closed including our main (read only) North South routes. The Ski centres had/were having a bumper time, as were some drivers in a different sense. Today I am not so sure that the TOWRISTS with planks on thier shoes were able to get to the slopes.

You shouldn't be complaining about a little snow. I have friends in Southern Norway, Lillesand to be precise. They have 60 cms,( 24" to you wrinklies) and more snow is still falling.  Do you hear them complaining. Not on your life.

Edited By Handyman on 05/01/2010 23:49:43

Six inches plus here in North-East Hampshire at present and still coming down steadily, which is a good deal more than for many years. Ftb and Andy Watson are describing perfect avalanche conditions for hilly areas, so let's be very careful out there!

Pete

In SW Scotland we've got about 3 inches of lying snow, but the main problem is ice with night-time temperatures down to -10°C and often still below freezing all day.

Strange how these conditions only become national news when they hit the south.

I lived in west Sheffield (within the city boundary) for 25 years and got snowed in most years for varying lengths of time.   Two years running the snow was so heavy it brought the guttering down!  We lived on a bus route and for the first few years we were there the road (a steep hill) was ploughed and gritted and the bus route was kept open.  Then about eight years ago that was stopped and road quickly became impassible after snow.

Also worth remembering is that when the thaw eventually comes, the south will thaw quickly, while the north and high areas will still have lying snow for much longer - yet watch and see how quickly it will disappear from the news! 

I got a phone call at 7pm last night that Brize was activating the station disaster plan and can I come into work.

I pitched up with 7 others, made several phone calls to find out what was happening but no one knew so I sent the 7 guys that bothered to turn up home.  

Woke up this morning to around a foot of snow, flicked on the tv to see whats happening and nearly choked on my morning coffee when I heard on the BBC news that the military is being called out to help stranded motorists, we can't even get our own work place sorted, never mind the poor stranded folks in cars.

I'm supposed to be flying tomorrow morning but I can't see that happening !

This is what happens when civilians replace military jobs, union rules come into play and all of a sudden it's too dangerous to drive snow clearing machines in the snow

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 06/01/2010 11:13:41:
In SW Scotland we've got about 3 inches of lying snow, but the main problem is ice with night-time temperatures down to -10°C and often still below freezing all day.

Strange how these conditions only become national news when they hit the south.

I lived in west Sheffield (within the city boundary) for 25 years and got snowed in most years for varying lengths of time.   Two years running the snow was so heavy it brought the guttering down!  We lived on a bus route and for the first few years we were there the road (a steep hill) was ploughed and gritted and the bus route was kept open.  Then about eight years ago that was stopped and road quickly became impassible after snow.

Also worth remembering is that when the thaw eventually comes, the south will thaw quickly, while the north and high areas will still have lying snow for much longer - yet watch and see how quickly it will disappear from the news! 

How true.....Our head office in in Guildford. First few flakes and everyone is at action stations and plans are pulled out of the woodwork. They care not when us up here are thigh deep and even 4wd is not a guarantee of getting up the hill.