How much do we spend?

Erfolg

I am in the middle to the back end of a build and preparing for the next build. With the new build I tend to write a list of big things I need, and a rough programme of when to purchase.

I have come to the conclusion, that it is far more convenient and cheaper to buy mail-order. Although I do buy as much from the local model shop as possible. This is "Stelorac", in South Manchester (has excellent range of rare plastic kits), but no longer stocks many things such as servos, as mail-order is more competitive.

Now my planned purchases are not as efficient and timely as I have suggested. After placing an order yesterday, I suddenly found I was short of a vital equipment. I reluctantly decided to order the missing bits, thinking, am i spending to much?

I now was thinking of how much do I spend annually?

How much, do I actually spend? It struck me that I spend circa £30 a month, approx £400 a year. Not a lot, is it! No wonder my wife has said, it does not make sense coming all the way here to spend so little, as my nearest large shop is about 15 miles away.

This <£400 a year allows me to build approx 4 planes annually.

I tend to either design (not quite a Fag packet, I use Linning paper) and build, or from free plans (I have so many free plans, it would take a number of life times to build all I really like). Up to this year, I bought kits, but never got round to building them.

The first this year, buiding a Nitro Models, Dornier 335., from BRC (@£55, I think). Am about to start my second, Galaxy me 163b Komet 

Do the rest of you spend so little, or am the mean end of Bell Curve?

Could it be being an electric flier, my costs are much lower?

What do you spend 

Edited By Erfolg on 04/10/2010 18:20:38

Advert

I don't know about year on year running costs, but I'm surprised (nay astonished) at the start-up costs! 

Model, engine, radio seem obvious but then there was loads of tools to make, and without doubt repair, the first model.  Trying to plan ahead and get tools for subsequent build up models. Glues of various descriptions

Field equipment including glo plug connector, power panel, battery, starter, fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel line and of course fuel.  Various spares, glo plugs, rubber bands to hold the wing on (trainer), hex keys, screwdrivers, spanners.  A big box to keep it all in and take to the field, although haven't got mine yet. 

There must be other stuff I've missed that will need to be purchased at some point, but just don't tell the missus!   Especially about the rather lovely Dremel!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I just didn't think there would be so many little bits of odds 'n ends. Shows how little I really knew, even after months of internet research, when I finally bit the bullet and started out about two months ago.

To paraphrase Bruce Forsythe, .....  Keeeeep Spending!

Richard

I do recognise that start up costs can be high, particularly IC power.

Electrics are much cheaper. I know one modeller who arrives at the field, with model, transmitter, and folding chair.

I have kept my costs lower by for example, second hand dremel jigsaw (£20), a Aldi Dremel almost clone (£10), building jig self made, wing building board wood yard off cuts, Aldi Hot Glue Gun (£5).

Once Started though, costs seem low, if you enjoy making models.

Maybe ARTF modelling is more expensive?

£400 - £500 pound a year?

I bet if you toted up everything you spend it would be more than that.

Club fees
fuel
Fuel for car to get to club
RCME subscription
another model

I just got a new artf with servos rx motor esc and batteries I spent about £400 just on that.

also if you mail order everything it is easy to blank out the extra postage cost.

unless you build small models that can be expensive to. try to estimate the cost of the new TN spitfire for example.

cnc wood kit £250
5 servoe £50
covering and paint £150
engine with petrol convertion as per TN,s £???
small bits like screws push rods, control horns decals glue connectors
props £4 a go
spinner £10 for ali one
wheels
retracts £110?

it all adds up but we tend to blank out the cost.

As above anything that turns at my house the wife gets told it was all less than a tenner lol (but she knows otherwise and says nothing)

I think I spend far too much, but I want to have everything here and not have to order when I need it, so I end up with a huge selection of balsa, carbon, electric motors, electrical connections, covering, servos, receivers etc etc etc.

But, I do think i save over the years, I have a very good range of electronic components, and dont need to order for most repairs, so because of bulk buying, have saved in the long run.

I have bought 4 Multiplex planes this year, these have enabled me to maximise my flying time, and will hopefully last a long time.

So far RC has not topped the expense list (things like DSLRs, two MGFs, an Onyx Firecat have been a bigger black hole. But the MGs have gone, the cameras are now in use with the new baby, so have earned status.

I don't live at the pub, i have just finished cooking supper and sorting out the kids school things, so i reckon the management doesn't have a lot to complain about

But I think the government has the final say. They make it obvious that it is better to spend it and enjoy it while you can, if you keep it, they will take it from you, or use it as a reason to give you less pension than others who did enjoy it !!!!

I started with a Raptor 30 heli in 2000 and that cost £1000 from scratch to flying but now I fly planes some of which cost less than repairing a heli crash.  
I guess that as soon as you take up a hobby, any hobby, you become a target for purveyors of all things shiny that promise better faster different.
I was looking at my order history on one of this sites' shopping partners and there's some scary numbers in there I can tell you  

One friend plays golf.........................€1000 just to join to push a wee ball around
another plays with cars....................€ 20,000 just to drive around
motorbikes.........................................all bling, chrome and poseurs
my wife................................................she sneakes in with shoes..yes shoes €?
my wee extra wot...............................€ 50 or thats wot I said, plus that old laser that      
                                                              some guy was giving away

ernie

Yep

As I suspected

Modelling is a cheap hobby, although as with most hobbies, there is a wide variation. Some spend thousands, fancy computer radios, expensive IC engines etc. Others, that could be me, fly budget radios, cheap motors, sticking plaster models and so forth.

If you are strick this hobby can be done on a shoe string. ebay is full of second hand items. you could limit your self to two models and with some initial expence for a tx and a bit of fuel now and again it can be very cheep.

but there is always something shiny  to buy. I know  some guys who spend thousends and others who combe the flying site at the end of the day to see what they can find (a stray wheel or some forgoten wing bands) and who will not let anything worth a penny go to waist.

Edited By Phil B on 04/10/2010 20:13:23

I think the thing about this hobby is once you're up and running - got a tranny, a dozen servos, 2-3 engines etc. you could do it very cheaply. Building a medium size model a year - £50, club subs £60, fuel £80, maintainance and tools £50, petrol/postage ec. £50.

But you could equally spend thousands every year.

I know floks at both ends of the spectrum!

Me? Well I guess I'm kind of in the middle I probably spend about £800-£1,000 per year I guess. (Checks over shoulder to be sure SWMBO isn't reading this!). It can vary a lot. Some years I probably spend less, but then this year I brought a new tranny - so probably spent more!

As others have said its peanuts compared with what I know some folks spend on golf, cameras, cars, booze etc. etc. And as I'm fond of reminding the wifey - its a relatively innocent pastime - I could be doing much worse things and she always knows where I am - either the workshop or the field

BEB

So - 2010 - what did I spend so far?
Bettini Extra - old stuff but in original packaging - 170 €
Engine for it + Accessories 300€
Servos, Oracover, paint 250€
New LiFe Batteries for my Sebby 230€
New power controller 85A  70€
Found that Seagull Edge 540EP at the Nats56£ 
Had to get her a decent engine- A30 12L  80€
which was a friedship price including prop and spinner
1167€ or 1006£ with todays rates
Another 110€ should be added for the club plus insurance. The cost for the car I do not count - if I wouldn't go to the airfield I would go somewhere else.
So I find myself in a similar range as all the others.
The year has not finished yet - but I try to be a good boy and ruin my toys before purchasing new ones...
The wind at Milton Keynes will help me doing so.

"A man making plans,Lord is smiling..."I'm in special situation,so my local shop is 500 km away (and the fuel can not get by mail) ,been planned everithing ,but on the end beloved wife and grandson  up smiling... Ok joke aside; I spend 200 pounds a year (without travel expenses) ....so ,enough from transition country. Cheers Jo

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 04/10/2010 20:33:17:
I think the thing about this hobby is once you're up and running - got a tranny, a dozen servos, 2-3 engines etc. you could do it very cheaply. Building a medium size model a year - £50, club subs £60, fuel £80, maintainance and tools £50, petrol/postage ec. £50.

But you could equally spend thousands every year.

Very true! I'm very much at the bottom end of that calculation at the moment

I (obviously) did the start up costs a while ago. I have a no of kits, unfinished projects and rebuilds, plus balsa and plans, in the shed. In truth far more than I have time for. So, absolutely no additional expenditure at all until some of those have seen air under their wings

Not bought an artf for 3 years

compulsive addictive artf

Sounds like an expensive addiction./ ailment.....   $1500-2000 nzd per year. but shes just looked at the computer ,clipped me around the ears and stormed out so I guess it will be $1.50 per year now and alot of long cold nights