Pick a Plane 2011

Advert

I would suggest the following model aeroplanes for Tony to consider for designing that w`ould enable ARTF flyers to progress into plan build models with very good flight characteristics as ffollows:

1. Druine turbulent - good looking, not too complicated and very stable mild aerobatic 1st scale model- say 65 -75 inch span.

2. DHC Chipmunk - superb low wing model with excellent slow handling and landing features. Never known this model not to please.

3. Tuccano - without retracts flies fast and looks great in the air, though not a beginners model . Ideal wing span 60- 65 inches.

Yes, Please! The FW189 has been on my list for a year, my father was navigator/tailgunner on one stationed in the arctic circle. I would love to honor him with a good scale model of this very rare bird (only one remains that I am aware of, recovered from a Siberian forest where it was shot down, it was purchased by Paul Allen to be restored for his heritage of flight museum in Seattle). Peter+

EDFs -

1.   Vulcan,
2.   Meteor
3.   Vampire
4.   Folland Gnat

all Balsa/Ply for 90mm please, too many 70mm and foam jobs these days.

if not EDF, then then how about a nice twin warbird for 2 x 52 FS or electric

1. Bristol Beaufighter or Bristol Blenhiem
2. Avro Anson
3. P-38

Wasn't going to post here, as I thought it will almost certainly turn out to be yet another WW2 craft.

I have chose 3 of my favourite, the Bronco has been modelled before, not extensively, but I have not see either the Nomad or Buffalo modelled.

I chose these three because

They have all been used in military and civilian livery (I have no interest in "warbirds")

Much of the constrction is flat sections

They are all twin engined, with electric power this isn't the problem some people saw with IC.

They are all special in their own way, and have flying characteristics not usually found.

They are all still in use (well, that is if the Philippine airforce didn't crash another Bronco or Nomad yesterday )

They are all very distinctive to look at, and would be eyecatchers as models.

OV-10 Bronco

DH-5 Buffalo

GAF Nomad

All of them have interesting histories and very varied fields of service

Edited By Steve W-O on 21/11/2010 09:17:52

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 17/11/2010 12:45:40:

That leaves plenty more enticing subjects though if previous voting has been anything to go by so just leave a post below stating your top three choices.

Pretty much anything goes although adoption of the winner will be subject to Tony's confirmation of the practical viabilities - in reality we don't anticipate a problem but then we don't know what the winner will be.Please vote once only, thanks.

A separate chat thread exists alongside this so folks can chat about the voting and subject matter etc. Please leave comments and thoughts there......

I'm following all this with interest and it's not surprising that there's almost as many different marques being suggested as there are forumites! I'm just relieved I don't have to do the counting...........

However, as usual, it seems not everyone can understand the simple guidelines David posted at the start of the voting (above). Apart from the determination some have to discuss their choices in the voting thread, I've noticed that already one voter is up to nine different choices.......are the instructions too complicated or do people just choose to ignore them?

A (perplexed) Pete

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 21/11/2010 18:31:36:
Sorry Dan, ( and others )  but we can stick to "serious" suggestions only in the actual voting thread - if we have to sift out all the fanciful stuff it makes the job of counting accurately that much more difficult. By all means let your imagination run riot in the "chat" thread. Thanks.

It really was a serious suggestion,reasons are in chat section.

Posted by r6Dan on 21/11/2010 18:34:25:
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 21/11/2010 18:31:36:
Sorry Dan, ( and others )  but we can stick to "serious" suggestions only in the actual voting thread - if we have to sift out all the fanciful stuff it makes the job of counting accurately that much more difficult. By all means let your imagination run riot in the "chat" thread. Thanks.

It really was a serious suggestion,reasons are in chat section.

Sorry, I cant see Tony accepting the challenge of building the USS Enterprise as serious - your reasons are immaterial - its simply not a viable model aeroplane.