Disaster by dog

Hi all.
I suppose this would come under the heading of a cautionary tale.
It is often said that dogs and models don't mix ,well this evening i called in on a mate to drop off some props he needed to get his 182 set up ,he has two dogs that are constant companions and as good as gold.
We were busy doing the watt meter readings and prop changes when all of a sudden the room filled with smoke that came in through the door it was so dense that we could hardly see our way to investigate ,we got down the hallway and into the next room to find a what was a 4A 3 Cell lipo on fire in the middle of the room,swift action was taken to remove it and launch it out doors were it continued to burn for another five minutes .
it took quite some time to clear the smoke from the house ,and the subsequent inspection reveled a large burnt patch right in the middle of two grands worth of carpet .
It transpired that one of the dogs had quietly picked up the lipo taken it in to on other room under the misapprehension that it was a bone,and given it a right good bite we think the dog promptly retreated as the initial gas escaped ,and so was not hurt at all,i left my mate pondering on what would be the best explanation to greet his wife who was due return within the hour.

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 24/05/2011 01:09:26

Advert

I once picked up a very rare copy of "The Book of Westland Aircraft" from a second hand shop at a bargain price. Not only was the book rare but it was signed by D.A. Russell himself which added to the value considerably.

It was put in the book case but it must have had a special smell as one of our dogs decided it was good to eat and chewed it good and proper. They never chewed anything else.

After that it wasn't worth anything

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/05/2011 07:32:56:
Thats nasty Tom - where did the dog get the LiPo from in the first place?
Glad it ended up with just a damaged carpet - should be claimable on the house insurance too, if he has accidental damage cover.

The guy has quite a big house with a down stairs spare room converted as a model room,he had just swapped a 3 cell for a 4 cell and put the the 3 cell close by .the dogs tend to wander in out and have never caused a problem,but on this occasion one of them must have picked up the lipo while our heads were turned ,and casually walked out with it in his mouth.
a good example of how anyone,aware of precautions ,can be tempted into false sense of security, resulting in serious consequences .

Tom.

Well at least the dog won't be suffering from Manic Depression any time soon

In all seriousness though, that could have been nasty. I'm not sure what happens if you mix li-po with saliva and I'm not sure I want to find out!

I had one dog, big alsatian something cross, lovely natured and I could do anything with it, but in the car it insisted on being in the front passengers seat. So my wife had to spend the journey with it on her lap.
It would not travel in the back of our Citroen CX behind a dog guard and the only time we left her for a few minutes she pushed her head through the gap and destroyed the rear end of both inner door panel tops by chewing. Never ever chewed things in the house.

Except Bonios and dog food of course

Edited By Richard Bond on 24/05/2011 17:58:32

cautionary tale, could have been much worse,

as a doggy tale, remember me mentioning rescuing the dog in the rat thread? well, the very week after, i wished i hadnt, i had assembled my KK Lysander, AND KK Minimoa, all ready for tissuing, went to school looking forward to an evening of covering, got home, mum said she had some bad news about the dog, i was full of dread, my dog had died

NO chance, he had chewed the models to MATCHWOOD i could have killed the thing, but brother had sensibly taken him out of my way for a few hours, all was soon forgiven, and new kits bought,