What mode do you fly?

Advert

Posted by James40 on 19/07/2011 11:08:15:
Eeeuuch, mode one is just plain dirty, why would you want a throttle on the control stick, it's not natural.

Suppose you work your rudder with your feet as well?

I've heard that mode 1 was derived from early radio sets that had an up/down (elevator) stick on the left and a left/right (aileron/rudder) stick on the right, and that was it for controls - I guess that engines just ran until it ran out of fuel? Not sure if this is accurate though.

To me, mode 2 is far more natural as it is more analogous to a real aircraft's controls, whether that be fixed wing or helicopter, but I can see why mode 1 could seem logical to some for fixed wing aerobatics/3D.

What I haven't got my head around is people flying helis on mode 1! I can't see any way that that's intuitive, and learning to fly a model heli is challenging enough as it is...

If I remember correctly from last time iawnski is a mode 4 flier - I wouldn't swear to that but I seem to remember him saying he was. In fact I think we had 3 mode 4 fliers last time making up 1.4% of the response - compared to only 0.5% for mode 3.

I won't remind you what modes 1 and 2 where - in case it influances the result!

BEB

I fly Mode 1 for fixed wing as that was the mode I started with many years ago, I subsequently went on to fly Mode 2 as well being an Instructor for both, interestingly enough I fly helicopters on Mode 2 as I tried one on Mode 1 and found it difficult.

RAFMAN

I fly Mode 2 while most of our club are Mode 1.
Obviously I think Mode 2 is best for the similarity with full size and because I can actually do it.

However I have noticed that "they" (mode 1) get on better with manoevres like slow rolls. With rudder and elevator on one stick they have good control of the tail end, all in one place. Either that or they are just better than me, that's certainly likely

I think if there was a "best way" then everyone would migrate to it.

Bit tricky really,
I fly mode 1 but have also learnt to fly mode 2 , saying that when flying mode 2 my tongue is always hanging out as I have to think about my inputs. I am always wary about what my instintictive reactions would be in the case of an 'incident'!
I do agree with Chris regarding aerobatics on mode 1.

As long as you are safe and enjoy it who cares what mode you fly I say !

Good poll but it is only going one way as expected.

Rich

I started off on mode 1 for rudder/elevator gliders because mode 1 was more common then. My 27Mhz Digifleet Tx had a single axis stick on the left which I used for elevator and the r/h stick just for rudder. When I came back to flying with power models about 8 years ago I got a mode 2 Futaba and even though I hadn't flown for years I kept pulling up elevator on the left stick and closing the throttle! It took me while to get out of the old habit and convert to mode 2, which now seems natural.

New club competition:

give someone a model in mid air - but don't tell them which mode its on! - see how long it takes them to figure it and if the model survives!

First year I was at the RCM&E Greenacres fly in I'd just landed and taxied in when the guy next to me said "Ah - I've got something in my eye, can't see, take it quick".

I was about to oblige when I sudden thought on and asked; "What mode are you on?"

"Mode 1" came the reply

"You're on your own mate!"

I left it someone else - the poor chap probably thought I was a right so-and-so! But I don't think I'd have had a dog's chance of even flying a level circuit with it!

BEB

I fly mode 1 mainly because i learnt when we only had reed sets ie switches and they were configured (mainly) as mode 1 is today
Mode 2 I think came about because all the imported sets arrived as mode 2 and very few people, specially new comers knew the modes could be changed so learnt as it was

Just my 2p worth!!

Does the system block multiple voting?

I don't want to do it, but every time I vote I get an error and can't tell whether my vote was registered. (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error - The website cannot display the page)

Oh well - mode 4 certainly has some votes, so maybe I am being counted.

Mode 4 rules - up to 2% already and climbing!

Edited By Steve Houghton on 19/07/2011 17:33:44

I am a mode 4 flyer. I can fly mode 2 but prefer the mode 4.

The reason is easy. When I learnt to fly, propotional had not been brought out( Im old!!) When it eventually arrive, I purchace one, but at the time I was only flying using 3 channels, rudder,elevator, and throttle. The TX was set up with throttle on left stick. I must point out I am self taught. So for a long time I flew a 3 channel model with throttle on left, and rudder and elevator on right.

I then went to a 4 channel model and without anyone to tell me the aileron went on the spare control. Well I didnt know, did I.

So there is the reason for flying on mode 4. My only worry is that I ran a flying club for 20 yrs and tought dozens of people to fly on this mode. Where are they now. Poss came to their senses and changed mode, who knows?

Garry

Flying mode 2 means that I can use my mobile phone at the same time, or eat a sandwich. Or enjoy a glass or two of wine..........

The Midlands seems to be the heartland of the mode 1 user though. I gather mode 2 seems to be dominant elsewhere.

Alternatively we may be discovering that the majority of modellers bright enough to take part in a poll happen to fly on mode 2. Draw you own conclusion!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 19/07/2011 17:58:09

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/07/2011 13:35:51:
If I remember correctly from last time iawnski is a mode 4 flier - I wouldn't swear to that but I seem to remember him saying he was. In fact I think we had 3 mode 4 fliers last time making up 1.4% of the response - compared to only 0.5% for mode 3.

I won't remind you what modes 1 and 2 where - in case it influances the result!

BEB

Yup he is - and its weird ! I can just about manage mode 2 if asked to ( I'm mode 1 ) but that mode 4 gets me in tizzle after a few seconds !

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 19/07/2011 18:30:06

I haven't voted yet Because i mainly use mode 1 but on occasion use mode 2 .

I have even taken over control of flying someone else's model after they have asked if i would like to take over . Some rtf models come as mode 2 . Although i learned to use mode 2 only because some Heli lads where learning to fly fixed wing on my site and i would often take their model up for them .

so as i can use both modes can i vote twice