Total insanity.

Peter Miller

Advert

There's three of them who bid over £50 (which I consider to be well above the actual value of the goods on sale.)

And they've all got decent feedback numbers, so they're not clueless ebay numpties. Well, clueless numpties perhaps, but not ebay newbies anyway!

Was there ever a solid gold Leo 40 made?

Thats Madness Gone Wrong!
I Have 2 Classics in their box brand new untouced with receipts still(although 15 years old!) They are an MDS 38 Q Pro,and an Irvine 25 MK3 TBR ABC and if i could get that for the pair of them id sell tommorow!! Surely they would be worth the money more? when you consider the Irvine was Made In England,unlike modern ones now made in china.

I have bought two in the last year, both in boxes, and paid less than £20 including postage each time.

People seem to be taken in by words, without reading the whole line and questioning something that is not stated clearly.

I would consider anything that was made after 40's as just plain old, but I have seen engines made in the 70s given fancy words, and sometimes people bid for them as if they are special (maybe because certain models are special!)..

But here, I don't see how somebody could bid so much without asking questions first.

Shill bidding or plain scam comes to mind

They've seen the D'Agostini Spitfire bit and the engine portion of the title and assumed both are included, despite the fact that the photo was of the engine alone.
it just reflects the levels of literacy and initiative in the country today.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 22/07/2011 16:06:24

I bought the 46 sized LEO for $46 and its runs very nicely.

I wonder if the 'winner' knew what he was buying and I suspect will be very dissapointed when the engine turns up at his door.

Anyone for a Leo 46 for a Spitfire or even an RC Jet Fighter, I'll sell it at the bargin price of £250!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/07/2011 16:05:34:
They've seen the D'Agostini Spitfire bit and the engine portion of the title and assumed both are included, despite the fact that the photo was of the engine alone.
it just reflects the levels of literacy and initiative in the country today.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 22/07/2011 16:06:24

I agree with you, but knowing that many people don't speak English at home, or just don't speak propa English, it should be made very clear.

The title could be said to contravene ebays keyword spamming policy, as the engine was not made exclusively for that plane, so "as used in" could have been included in the desription.

So who would you blame, the seller for not stating it clearly, or the buyer for not reading it proper;y or checking?

My guess is that ebay will be on the buyers side, because an honest and decent seller would check with the buyer that they really knew what they had bought before sending it, no seller could be dumb enough to genuinely believe it is worth so much, not even a non-modeler.

Not as fishy as a "transaction" I once noticed on ebay that was obviously a "setup" just to let two mates boost their feedback scores. The item was a Eurostar ticket (which I'm fairly sure is on the ebay "banned items" list) but the feedback from the buyer, saying he'd received the ticket, was submitted within about 3 minutes of the auction closing!