All our yesterdays - our old pics

Pete B

Anyone else go to the IOM gliding week in the 1970's ?

iom_full group.jpg

This was taken either 1974 or '75. I'm on the far right with my lad. I think the 6th adult standing from the right is Dave Cavendish ten years before his son Mark one of our current cycling greats.

Advert

Posted by PatMc on 07/03/2013 15:02:33:

Anyone else go to the IOM gliding week in the 1970's ?

iom_full group.jpg

This was taken either 1974 or '75. I'm on the far right with my lad. I think the 6th adult standing from the right is Dave Cavendish ten years before his son Mark one of our current cycling greats.

Look at that TX in the foreground, Futaba!

Pictures below are on my Junior 60 when first built in 1962/3, note hatch in lower fuselage area to accommodate the Ripmax 'Mactuator'. I also fitted an Elmic 'Sidewinder' at the front of the plane to wind up the rubber drive to the 'Mactuator'. Note also the old valve transmitter which I still have. It used a 4.5 volt LT battery and a 90 volt HT battery. The other radio kit I never used, it belonged to a friend Rodney Johnson who used it in a 'Sparkie'. An old ED plastic propeller is shown plus the metal wheels which i still have from an original Southern Dragon.

MJE

junior 60 1962-3r.jpg

southern dragon 005.jpg

southern dragon 004.jpg

southern dragon 003.jpg

southern dragon 007.jpg

I think all these pictures are older than me. I look at all these models, and think 'that looks fun'. I don't know why, even with radio equipment that is not as 'sophisticated' as today's stuff, and models which these days could probably be built lighter, I just think they look more fun. Maybe it is that all of the powered ones have engines, or because ARTF's weren't around, each model is unique. Interesting.

But what am I to say, I wasn't around.

Goodbye.

CS

old models.jpeg

The Missus found this just the other day, I was so happy, I remember taking this around 1982. These were my two favourite models.

Plane was a Pilot T2 Forster Kit with the OS FS40 (my father gave me the motor as a gift) I didn't realise until later years how expensive it (the motor) was, the kit I purchased at a local hobby shop, just over $80, I had to sell 1000's of newspapers to raise the money for that kit. I had enourmous pleasure building the kit and the smell of that Japanese Balsa, woo wee, beautiful !. Then the dope...., I love doping even today, I think it snaps me right back to the days of building this model and covering it. Just thinking about it and composing this message makes me choke up a little from the fond memories I have of the process of building and flying that plane and others around that time......

I had that plane for 10+ years, schleped it all over Australia (only punctured the tissue once) whilst I moved around with work (GA Pilot) unfortunately I had to sell it for rent money, as I was broke and my food vouchers ran out when the Aviation company I worked for went bust .

I purchased what must have been the last Pilot kit of this model about 15 years ago and still have it sitting in my shed waiting to be be built, I top the box up with moth balls and sachets every few months, it looks brand new, but, alas the Japanese balsa smell has been replaced by the (almost pleasant and toxic) aroma of naphthalene, why do modellers usually like the smell of toxic chemicals ?,

I also have a OS FS40 MIB, for this kit. One day, in the not too distant future, I will commit the model to the bench for building and I'll have to do a build blog...

Sorry for rambling on, The model truck was a tamiya Hilux, thoroughly enjoyed building that as well.

Thanks all.

The old single channel transmitter.

This morning I found this wiring diagram for my old second hand transmitter I bought from a chap Alan Litchfield who was a radio ham /expert and worked for Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd. Alan sketched out the wiring diagram and I am amazed how simple it now appears. In 1962 / 3, I bought a Magregor Terrytone reciever for my Junior 60. You had to solder up the components yourself to a printed circuit board and then tune the reciever to the transmitter. This latter task Alan carried out on the day he sold me the transmitter.

MJE

001 transmitter.jpg

southern dragon 005.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/03/2013 12:54:10

I remember thinking how complicated things seemed. With terminology of super heterodyne, Terrytone, galloping ghost. and so many other terms, with little if any explanation. Then there were rubber escapements, electric etc.

I do remember seeing a Grundig variophone? and thinking, this seems a lot better. Plug in modules. But ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the price.

No wonder i did not start radio until the 70's with a Waltron Clubman set. I then went onto build an additional Waltron Rx and servos and Linwood servos.

How practical and reliable are todays Radio sets and by comparison very, very, cheap..

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone would have a picture of the Blue Max Radio set (late 1960s) that I started with. Sold by Mick Wilshire from memory and maybe World Engines? It was a baulky TX and the servo centreing left a lot to be desired, but I managed OK until I got a Skyleader set. It was black and had a big blue Iron Cross on the front of it. The receiver had fly-leads and plugs were sealed with silicone rubber. First time I ever saw the stuff and it fascinated me. Just a nostalgia thing. I flew my Super 60 with it.

Just googled "world engines blue max" - this page links to 4 nice (but small) images and I'm sure there are plenty more lurking out there...

Pete Christy who often posts on this forum may well have some info - he did some radio designing for Mick Wilshere - who in turn could probably be contacted via Motors and Rotors.

You might also try contacting Ali Mashinchi senior who is an avid collector of old radios and might have one in his collection...

Another one - a bit bigger. If you bought a digital set new back then you must have been rather wealthy or very serious about the hobby! I know my first 6 channel (4 servo) Sanwa outfit cost me a month's wages in the mid 70s when prices had dropped considerably!

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/04/2013 00:57:39

Hi Martin. No, I wasn't wealthy at all. I worked as a apprentice mechanic on a pathetic wage and gave up smoking to buy British Postal Orders each week. I lived in New Zealand back then. Also did overtime to earn extra money. I think determination was the key. The servos were white and were called S4Bs from memory. I see in Kellys post above a Webra mentioned. I had a 1.5 diesel Webra and still have fond memories of that too. It was a fantastic motor but not for R/C of course. I had a few free flight planes back then too. I lived on a farm so had plenty of flying space. Thanks for the links.

Geof,

The free flight display is no different to the free flight fun-fly most people look forward to at the Nationals in Grantham. It gets the biggest laughs every evening. The last time I was there in 2006 despite taking precautions, I was hit in the face by a free flight electric ME 109. It knocked out one of the lens from my glasses,it was quite a shock but I survived!

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 02/04/2013 21:39:32

• 9 months later...

Me at Loughborough at what was then called the 'University Golf Course' firing up the Mills 75 with its scale 4 blade wooden prop on the front of a 48" span DH4 control line in the summer of 1969.The Mk1 finger!

It flew very slowly (just look at the line sag!) on lightweight nylon thread lines.

Slack lines!

But it looped well.

Originally built for FF about 5 years earlier but never flown. It was converted to CL as I didn't want to risk loosing my one & only engine!

I still has the Mills in it.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 14/01/2014 00:31:28