2012 Vintage Mass Build Chat Thread

Hi David,

As Andy has advised, use a sharp bend cold, ie a vise jaws or anvil, I tend to clamp the wire in a vice and tap with a small hammer until it matches the profile on the plan. I tend to offer up often until it matches.

One thing to remember, mark up the centre of the bend from the drawing with a permanent marker pen, and that should be the centre of the bend ie adjust in the vice jaws to ensure it's true to the drawing and take it one step at a time.

As the old adage says measure twice and cut once, the same holds true with bending wire or pipe (copper, brass, or iron. Ask me how I know, I'm and old gas fitter.

Cheers,

Chris.

Advert

Hi,

I am doing a blog on building my 'Windy Ain't It' for the Vintage Mass Build. Unfortunately, I am a bit of a klutz over some aspects of using this site (and others). I have labelled my thread WMB (that is Winter Mass Build) 'Windy Ain't It'. So, if anyone is interested and wants to comment, that is what to look for.

Alan.

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in with the news I've finally finished my Mini Tyro, the poor thing has sat around the office for two months waiting for just the controls to be setup. I've finally found some time to finish her off and she is ready to maiden.

Now I just have to wait for some nice weather and free time to arrive in unison to fly her!

r.

Posted by kc on 08/10/2011 16:13:26:
The Kwik Fli 3 has been mentioned a few times and now that the dimensioned drawings aare available to download ( see previous section ) it can be built without buying a plan from USA. It's a classic aerobatic design which has an excellent pedigree..
For me it's a little too large at 60 inch span for a .60 and the 2/3 scaled down version - Flea Fli- is a little too small at 40 inch for .19 to .25. So as the dimensions are shown its easy to draw it again at 3/4 scale for 48 inch span which would suit, say, a .32 glow or electric perhaps 300 to 400 watt.

A classic shape with simple bubble canopy ......anybody else interested in a 48 inch version?

Where's the previous section, or download site?

Posted by Alan Dorrell on 19/01/2012 10:45:03:
Hi,

I am doing a blog on building my 'Windy Ain't It' for the Vintage Mass Build. Unfortunately, I am a bit of a klutz over some aspects of using this site (and others). I have labelled my thread WMB (that is Winter Mass Build) 'Windy Ain't It'. So, if anyone is interested and wants to comment, that is what to look for.

Alan.

Alan - if you want to retitle it just PM me with the title you want and I change it for you.

BEB

PS I'm following it anyway - and good it is too!

Posted by Steve W-O on 26/01/2012 04:50:05:
Posted by kc on 08/10/2011 16:13:26:
The Kwik Fli 3 has been mentioned a few times and now that the dimensioned drawings aare available to download ( see previous section ) it can be built without buying a plan from USA. It's a classic aerobatic design which has an excellent pedigree..
For me it's a little too large at 60 inch span for a .60 and the 2/3 scaled down version - Flea Fli- is a little too small at 40 inch for .19 to .25. So as the dimensions are shown its easy to draw it again at 3/4 scale for 48 inch span which would suit, say, a .32 glow or electric perhaps 300 to 400 watt.

A classic shape with simple bubble canopy ......anybody else interested in a 48 inch version?

Where's the previous section, or download site?

Hi Steve,

The 48" version is more like it for me too, the PDF files that Martyn posted the link to, may be able to be printed to any size at some of the copy shops. Next time I'm in there I'll ask.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen much on the Vintage Build threads recently. Is everybody building like mad ? I am, but then I am rather slow. However, I will say that shortly I will be setting up my electric power train on the Windy. When I have finished the last bits of trim I will post more photos on that site. Nevertheless, I am surprised we haven't seen build blogs on some of the other proposed. Come on you Astrohog and other builders.

Alan.

I'm sure there's a lot ticking over in the background, Alan. My Black Magic is covered and that isn't particularly intersting from mthe build blog point of view. I'm just going through the trials and tribulations of cutting and fitting the windscreen - I really don't like that job - and, apart from final embellishments, I'm hoping for a maiden flight tomorrow.........thumbs up

Pete

Well the Coquette is ticking along slowly but surely. All major components are now built and just in need of a bit of sanding and shaping ready for covering - which doesn't make for a particularly interesting post on the build blog but as soon as I have some proper progress to report I'll update the blog.

Jim

Posted by Alan Dorrell on 23/02/2012 11:42:30:

Haven't seen much on the Vintage Build threads recently. Is everybody building like mad ? I am, but then I am rather slow. However, I will say that shortly I will be setting up my electric power train on the Windy. When I have finished the last bits of trim I will post more photos on that site. Nevertheless, I am surprised we haven't seen build blogs on some of the other proposed. Come on you Astrohog and other builders.

Alan.

Nope - I've been away working almost every week since the turn of the year and my workbench is in exactly the same state that it was at the beginning of January, Haven't even opened the kit box since last update and it's March next week.........

I have been busy with family matters, other aeromodelling projects and work but should be able to get a Super 60 ready in time. I already have the wing ribs marked out and have extensive stocks of vintage Solartex in the loft.

Mind you it won't be as smart as the ones that have featured as blogs so far!