Ebay sellers...

Advert

Paul, often sellers selling lots of a single item leave the listing in place when they have no stock, but they change the price to a level where nobody is going to buy. When they get more stock they put the price back to what it should be. I believe the listing fees are lower that way compared to placing a fresh listing every time you get new stock.

In this case the numbers seem a bit odd. It says "2 available" and "3 sold". But clicking on the "3 sold" link takes you to a page listing one sale - for £299. So if the "3 sold" is really only 1, what's the chances that "2 available" is actually none?

Anyway, my guess is that he's placed a listing for these at £299, and when he doesn't have any left to sell he puts the price up to £1299. When he gets new stock the price will come back down to £299.

Posted by John Privett on 26/11/2014 21:40:50:

Paul, often sellers selling lots of a single item leave the listing in place when they have no stock, but they change the price to a level where nobody is going to buy. When they get more stock they put the price back to what it should be. I believe the listing fees are lower that way compared to placing a fresh listing every time you get new stock.

In this case the numbers seem a bit odd. It says "2 available" and "3 sold". But clicking on the "3 sold" link takes you to a page listing one sale - for £299. So if the "3 sold" is really only 1, what's the chances that "2 available" is actually none?

Anyway, my guess is that he's placed a listing for these at £299, and when he doesn't have any left to sell he puts the price up to £1299. When he gets new stock the price will come back down to £299.

I know, but it's still wrong. Even a tx isn't included if it's for £300. What happens if someone actually did Buty It Now and paid £1300 for it, would the vendor refund the £1K?

Talking of people paying over the odds for something, I'm sure I've mentioned in the past somebody on ebay selling an Xbox box. Yes, that's right, an Xbox box - ie. the (empty) box that an Xbox is sold in. And some mug paid a silly amount of money for it thinking they were buying an Xbox.

Well, it's happened again. The description is perfectly clear;

"Box only !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY GOOD CONDITION IDEAL IF

YOU HAVE ONE WITHOUT THE BOX

AS IT WILL INCREASE YOUR RESALE VALUE CONSIDERABLY!!!

OR IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT ONE AS

A PRESENT WITHOUT A BOX!

BOX ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And somebody has gone and paid £175 (plus £8.29 postage) for it! sad

In fact 7 different people were involved in the bidding, which started at £100. So it's not just the sellers that are crazy sometimes (though having a starting price of £100 for a cardboard box might not be viewed as the action of a sane person!)

Posted by John Privett on 28/11/2014 22:09:38:

I think the world is going mad. smile o

There's another one a day later that went for £255. Still just an empty box! Description on this one says;

"Xbox one empty box

Gets you higher price when you sell you xbox one"

I think there might be a market for reading glasses amongst the Ebox buying population......

Posted by John Privett on 27/11/2014 19:28:01:

I'm inclined to say that if somebody, by their own decision, pays £1300 for something they could have got for £300 then they're probably not safe to be let out on their own... Nobody is forced to buy anything on ebay - or anywhere else!

No I can see how it happens to some people. Obsessive behaviour, autism and other syndromes with autistic traits do effect what some people see as a good deal or bargain. These types of people could be considered vulnerable when it comes to something like Ebay. sad

I know that, although only 10, my lad would happily pay £60 for a £30 quad, if he wanted that quad and unless we watch out for it he will.

• 2 weeks later...