How many ultra micros do you have

I was chatting to a distributor last month and we got talking about the number of Ultra Micro models that have come on to the market in the last couple of years. Quite a few of course.

I wondered why only to be told that for every 10 UMs sold, they sell perhaps 1-2 trad balsa ARTF models. That surprised me, could it really be true that so many ultra micros are being bought or was that an exageration?

For ultra micro I mean the 16" 'ish span RTF models that commonly fly indoors although some are better in small outdoor spaces.  

So a new poll just to see how many you've got really.....

Edited By David Ashby on 19/03/2012 14:55:49

None.

Not a fan of a super expensive small piece of foam, that is most cases is just flown by thrust alone. If they were 5 times cheaper (probably the cost of producing them, now that HH have some competition and can't still be including the R&D in the cost), maybe i'd have one.

OK - I've gone for 3 - out and out toys excepted...

E-fliteUMX Extra 3003D (seriously good fun indoors and out).

Vapor - more capable than you'd imagine with a rearward C of G

Kyosho Edge 540 - A bit limited on 3 channels so I keep threatening to use the gear in something else- but I haven't decided what to build for it yet. Maybe a KK Fokker D VIII?

I love "regular" size RC but having moved to London UM models not only let me have a nice selection in a small flat but I can easily fly them on the common in a safe manner. So as much as I do love some balsa with glow power up front these models really are impressive. And maybe £100 for a UMX Beast is pricey but you take it out the box, charge it and fly. If that helps keep aeromodellers in the hobby then I am all for it.

I recently got a Wot-4 Foam-E and it had its inaugral flight yesterday. It isn't a UM but for £99.95 + battery/Rx/Tx it is awesome!

UMs are a Beast, mCPX heli and Minium Edge 540.

I have a couple of Parkzone ones (SU-26 and T-28) and couple of older Kyosho ones. Great fun indoors or out (can fly in really small space).

As for Christian's comment he obviously hasn't flown any of these, the T-28 is absolutely delightful and they are well engineered flying models (and don't have an excess of thrust). My T-28 was less than £70 (UK price), for that you get the airframe, 4 channel micro control, ESC, motor, flight pack and charger. A few years ago you would have paid twice that for a micro reciever and servos.

An Ember and a Micro Mustang. The Ember is a bit battered now after a few indoor seasons and it needs a new prop. The Mustang is ok, but it's never flown indoors just in a field in (very) calm weather. Must say I'm a bit tempted by the Trojan micro, heard and read very good reports of it.

I started with a minium certabrai (cessna) which I flew everywhere.. until a servo seized, so I got another one... still fly it, must be 5yrs old..
Then got a 4ch piper as soon as it came out, and it was pants.. no proportion.. no d/r etc
Then a 3ch Edge 540.. then the second on the piper died, so I put the gear in a guillows cub..
In September I got a UMX Sbach (?72 at show) which is in another league.. It's 'proper' in everyway but its size, and boy does it shift..!
Can't wait to get a Carbon Cub with flaps.. and a beast, and the glider....
Never flown inside, had huge fun with them, love them..
Doesn't replace bigger planes, just something else aswell as...

Luv Chrisie.. xx