Peter Miller's new design

Advert

I think the wing loading will not be too bad. Complete airframe less engine and radio is just over 2 lbs.

The CG was c alculated as being 1 1/2" inches back from the Leading edge. I am letting it go back to 2" and I think I will achieve this without any extra lead.

Maiden flight will be the first calm, sunny day from SUnday onawards.

Got the radio and engine installed and all the stickers on. Weight will be about 3 lbs 14 ounces giving a wing loading of 25 oz per sq. ft. CG has come out right on the spot at 2" from the leading edge.

I am feeling hopeful.

Today I test flew my Fokker DVIII. after two flights it seems to have suffered complete radio failure. Went in from a great height. Have the post mortem yet to do.

At least I know it flew well and I did get the flying shots to prove it.

IT FLIES!!! This afternoon I flew the Stits. What a little cracker! I need to move the CG back but the first take off was smooth but I needed full up elevator. In flight I needed full up trim but it was quite stable and easy to fly. The landing was great, smooth and ended with the engine still running.

Second flight with the CG a little firther back was similar and I handed over to mate Stuart Pickett who flies while I take pictures. He soon had the measure of the model and made some low passes.

stits flight1.jpg

stits flight2.jpg

stits flight3.jpg

That last shot was taken while the model was inverted.

Yes STuart was soon rolling it and doing loops and inverted. He also tried flying very slowly and she didn't even try to drop a wing.

Warning, It is very fast and gets very small very quickly and orientation is a bit of a problem.

The down side? She ran out of fuel way out over a field of oil seed rape. It took about an houir to get through 250 yards of the tangle.

stits flight4.jpg

They should plant that stuff round prisins, no more escapes.

So you can see what the finished model looks like

stits static3.jpg

stits static2.jpg

stits static1.jpg

I believe Ken Willard? or similar contributer to the USA, RCM made one, which did not fly well, other than he or similar luminory wrote about it, and transporting the model on a Delta Airways aircraft, whilst sitting in the jockey seat (if that what it is called).

However they did produce two plans of the Stits Skybaby.

I can imagine that the Stits are difficult to fly without aids. The short coupling being one issue, the second is the very low aspect wings.

In the case of the Baby, I guess that by keeping all the masses such as Lipo very low, the roll rate can be tamed.

I do not know how you feel about gyro's, but the Stits could be a candidate for such systems.

I fly a OD (bitza) park flyer with a 3.2:1 ratio, which is very stable using the principle of a low CG. I guess a little different when a low winger though.

I did note whilst looking at the RCM&E web site that there is a plan of a tri motor Bellanca. I did think, perhaps, your own version would have also have benefitted from electric power. Before I could crystalise an offer on your model, it had gone, plus you live at the other end of the country to me.

Edited By Erfolg on 27/06/2012 10:43:29

This Stits is not hard to fly, flies as if on rails. The problem is that it is small and orientation can be a problem in poor light at a distance.

Certainly does not need gyros at all.

I will be moving the G back to reduce the up trim needed. Ailerons are positive but not too sensitive. Elevator may get more sensitive as the CG moves back but it is being flown on high rates at the moment.

It does need a lot of power. IT has a .25 engine and it starts comng down at half throttle but this may improve with a more rearward CG. CG at the moment is 2" back from LE on a 12" chord wing.

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/06/2012 11:25:14

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/06/2012 11:27:22

Always good to read.

I guess that tip losses increase dramatically (as a proportion of all drag) as the AoA increases,as you go slower.

It will be interesting to see the plan.

I just wonder when you will go back to the Golden Age air racers, maybe a Brown Racer, Folkerts, Goon, as you have covered many of the midget racers already?

• 1 month later...

Well, after three flying sessions with the Stits I have to say that it will not appear as aplan.

Take offs called for extreme care, two stalls on lift off out of 6 take offs. THis meant that one had to take off on low rates and still with care.

Once in the air it was OK but today I got disoriented. The model was at a great height and got into a vertical dive. Insufficient elevatro control to recover and I didn't get to the rate switch in time.

One one flight it was flown through loops, rolls and inverted. Landings were OK.

If anyone want the plans and instructions I will let you have copies at cost.

• 2 years later...