My Forum Gripes...

FunnyFlyer

I prefer the forum to be inclusive, not exclusive. If that means tolerating poor spelling, punctuation and malapropisms, so what. I would hate it if people did not contribute due to worrying that picky people might take the micky if they get something wrong. The forum is about RC and modelling, and not an english lesson. Lead by example by all means, but leave the less articulate alone.

Advert

Posted by Alan Randall on 31/07/2012 14:45:52:

I prefer the forum to be inclusive, not exclusive. If that means tolerating poor spelling, punctuation and malapropisms, so what. I would hate it if people did not contribute due to worrying that picky people might take the micky if they get something wrong. The forum is about RC and modelling, and not an english lesson. Lead by example by all means, but leave the less articulate alone.

Agreed - and part of being inclusive is making sure your message is being understood.

jeez all im asking for is the odd full stop and a few capital letters to make shore that some posts are easier to understand than others surely that isnt to much to ask i bet youd soon moan if you red this sort of stuff in the monthly mag

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 31/07/2012 14:54:24:
...........bet youd soon moan if you red this sort of stuff in the monthly mag

*read  cheeky

What a pointless thing to say, the contributers here dont get paid to write, and nor do the readers pay to read, differnent matter all together.

BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 15:04:20

Posted by Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 13:39:40:

If were adding our own gripes then for me its people that point out spelling and punctuation mistakes.

Sorry if it offends, just my thoughts. Its a RC flying forum about RC flying not an English exam. Posts will reduce if people are critical trust me I know.

Please feel free to mark the mistakes with a red pen and post the results to somone that gives a damn

BANG on BB, i had enough of forum police on other forums, i can understand every post on here, i could not care less about how its structured, some on here could easily be offended, feel picked on, and not post again, i would rather have every word spelt wrong, have no structure at all, if i learn something from it,

Now, i could do with a smiley with a face pulling its tongue out, thumbs in ears, waving hands back and forth--i am sure you get the pictureno

My personal view is that this is an informal forum.

As long as I can "generally" read a post I am not that bothered about the amount of punctuation or spelling mistakes made.

Now, there are no excuses for such mistakes made by professional writers in magazines, newspapers and websites.

I'm with Barnseyboy on this one. Although there are many occasions when I smile or cringe whilst reading the posts. At least these members are trying to communicate other than by "Txt" or shouting at each other, as I seem to find is the modern way. Bet FF is a retired teacher, or civil servant.

Kevinb A lifetime of communicating with the British public dept

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/07/2012 21:46:22

Well, being a newbie to this forum I have been very cautious about posting on here. I am new to RC aircraft but not new to model making neither am I new to forums and am well respected in in my field.

This thread is something I feel quite strongly about......I am 53 and left school at the age of 16 with a very poor education and have spent my life as a manual worker and have struggled to improve myself by reading etc.

That's enough about me, my point is this......

Guys does it really matter about the odd bit of punctuation here and there??.......surely as a very sad recent event on here has shown.......life is far too short.......it doesn't matter whether you're a professor or a labourer we all have a common interest in modelling so please let's not lose the plot and let's stick together and continue to help one another.

This is just my humble opinion and not meant to offend any one.

Cheers

Dale

The imprtnt thng is tht we cn rd psts esly and wrk ot thr mnngs wtht strgglng. Yu knw, it dsnt evn sm to mttr mch if yu lve the vwls ot of the mddle of wrds...

What I would say is that reasonable punctuation aids readability and I certainly appreciate people making the effort, but the content is by far the more important aspect. It does embarrass me a little that several non-native English speaking contributors use much better grammar and punctuation than some of us but I understand that at various times over the years, our educationalists have decided that these matters should be secondary to children expressing themselves freely.

The bottom line is that if you've something useful to say, post it any way you want - most of us want to read your pearls of wisdom more than worry about your spelling - but just read it back to yourself to make sure it makes sense before the edit time expires!

quote:

"Counted a 97 word single paragraph post with no capital letters, full stops or apostrophes yesterday"

I was flying one of my models instead.

People are generally lazier on forums becuase they come here to chill out and relax.

Who cares about the typo's and grammar issues, life is too short !

Maybe some of the folks on here are dyslexic too.

We live in a "txt msg" society and we should be free to communicate and express ourselves how we as ADULTS choose, warts and all. Most of us on here are not school children. So spare the lecture.