Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I finally have some progress with my Stampe. I just had no time to finish and a friend had some time on his hands and persuaded me to let him do a little work. Wow he has done an amazing job for me and with some winter fettling it will be defying gravity next year. It will have been 3 years since I started..

img_3240.jpg

smile d

Edited By Martin U on 21/10/2017 15:54:42

Nice and neat!

You'll have no trouble seeing that one in the air.

Mine is down for safety precautions.

The Dx7s I was using just had it's 3rd signal failure.

Over the last two years, It's lost signal and destroyed a Balsa USA Taube, 56" span Tripacer and an Eflite Stearman arf converted to nitro.

So I've purchased a new Futaba 6k with a telemetry rx that sends back the airborne voltage to the tx.

We've been flying it in the 1/4 scale cub to make sure it's working good and are getting ready to put it in the precedent Stampe.

You will enjoy the Futaba Nick. I use the 8j and we recommend the 6k to all of our new members when they want to get their gear. They seem pretty bullet proof but we do see failures with spektrum.

Cymaz, my pilot was really obese so i had to fit him in the front cockpit for c/g reasons

Also there is a deeper cockpit in the front so he fits better. On the next one i build i will change the rear cockpit to allow a full length pilot in there too.

Thanks Cymaz, that was a hasty placement for the photo. Plus I was planning fitting out the cockpit..

For the maiden the pilot will be correctly placed as I’m not sure I can handle it on my own 😏

I’ve been Spektrum since I came back to the hobby and have been pleased overall. However horizon withdrawal from the uk has me seriously considering a move. That is a big decision as ( don’t tell the wife) I must have 18+ RX + telemetry.

if changing radio for me its between futaba and hitec. Both systems work well and are easy to use. Hitec offers you more features for your money i would say, futaba are a bit behind with things like servo slow and other things that most other radios have at this point. But, the futaba rx's are a 1 button bind where the hitec system is more complicated if i recall. Hitex rx's also demand 6v from my experience with them. I cant say how the hitec will last vs the futaba but my futaba FF9 is probably 9 or 10 years old, my 8j at least 5 and my dads old challenger set probably almost 30 years old. None of them have ever given trouble.

One of the best parts of my 8j is that the antenna is built into the tx itself and there is nothing on the outside which can get knocked off. A friend with a dx9 is always breaking off the plastic cover for the antenna and its a constant source of annoyance.

Hi John, not aure Inagree with your comments about Futaba. I use a 14SG with a dual power supply on my 1/4 Stampe and 3 other warbirds. I use the s-bus facility and s-bus servos on all my models. All servos have an IP address are are totally programmable, including speed of servo. I also have battery telemetry from reciever to my tx. I use a 6v system on all my models that the futaba reciever/servo manage extremly well. Maybe I am just a lucky guy but I have never had a radio problem in all my 40 years of building rc models.

Posted by Pegasus on 25/10/2017 10:40:13:

Hi John, not aure Inagree with your comments about Futaba. I use a 14SG with a dual power supply on my 1/4 Stampe and 3 other warbirds. I use the s-bus facility and s-bus servos on all my models. All servos have an IP address are are totally programmable, including speed of servo. I also have battery telemetry from reciever to my tx. I use a 6v system on all my models that the futaba reciever/servo manage extremly well. Maybe I am just a lucky guy but I have never had a radio problem in all my 40 years of building rc models.

The 14sg is a high end (expensive) radio so i would expect it to have all the bells and whistles. At the 6-10 channel mainstream level futaba are well behind their competitors in terms of features. Its annoying, i would like a servo slow on my 8 channel as there are no sliders for the flaps and with no slow the 3 position switch means the model jumps a bit as soon as you flick the flaps down. The hitec 9ch on the other hand has sliders and a servo slow and even my old FF9 has the sliders. Spektrum too have sliders and slow on their 9ch. I would have upgraded to the 10j but it only has 2 more channels and telemetry, neither of which were of any interest. If it had servo slow etc i would have bought it but no joy

Hi Jon, It sid cost me an arm and a leg, as did the servos, but over a period of time it wasnt to bad. I have quite a collection of radios from the years. Decided to invest in the 14sg when I started on the warbirds and my stampe. All the warbirds have flaps and electric retracs. Some have a choke on RC and needle mixture.. Liked the idea of the s-bus. a great reduction in the ampunt of cables in the models. I am hoping the 14sg will last me a number of years before an upgrade is needed. Will Try and put some piccys up.

Posted by Pegasus on 25/10/2017 12:50:24:

Hi Jon, It sid cost me an arm and a leg, as did the servos, but over a period of time it wasnt to bad. I have quite a collection of radios from the years. Decided to invest in the 14sg when I started on the warbirds and my stampe. All the warbirds have flaps and electric retracs. Some have a choke on RC and needle mixture.. Liked the idea of the s-bus. a great reduction in the ampunt of cables in the models. I am hoping the 14sg will last me a number of years before an upgrade is needed. Will Try and put some piccys up.

Yea i was looking at the specs and prices of the servos and other sbus parts. brought a tear to my eye!

Personally i am not a fan of sbus as a concept. There is the cost, but for me its the reliability factor as one cable/component failure can wipe out half the model. If i loose one flap or one aileron due to a cable coming unplugged its a bit less critical. I can see its helpful for models with loads of servos on one surface though, and without doubt it will reduce the spaghetti mess in the fuselage which is a good thing. I guess for my use case i dont get anything from using it.

As for the 14, i was looking at it myself but have decided to stay put for now. I might get a 2.4 module for my FF9 and extend its life a bit further. I only have 3 models on 35mhz now so that tx is slowly becoming redundant.

Martin, might have to look into that with you. All the servo slows i have tried so far have caused radio trouble and been chucked in the bin

Posted by Pegasus on 25/10/2017 13:01:46:

Hi Jon, if you go to Albums there is some pictures of my Stampe, also some photos of the real thing at Duxford. Here are the Album names. Stampe Maiden Stampe Details Stampe

She looks really good. What provides the urge at the front end?

Thanks for the input.

I picked the Futaba because a friend I made back in'85 that carried on til he passed in '06, used nothing but Futaba and I can't remember one failure. He landed in the pits occasionally, but that wasn't the radio and we were pretty used to it. laugh

Oddly, we also have a dx6i that's a couple of years older than the 7 and has had 0 problems, except that it's on the 3rd antenna. (Man I love this Futaba with the hidden antenna!) but it's relegated to the park fliers since it's so old that the throttle ratchet has worn nearly smooth.

The Stampe wont care what radio set up you us, its a Stampe,it wont fly pressision aerobaticts,it will give you lots of pleasure chucking it around,They are quite hardy and good to fly in strong winds, you need to do short steep landing approaches,in light winds they can be drifted around in very low circuits,