Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Hi Nic, got a DLE 35R up front. All the power it needs.

Hi Bert, the Stampe might not mind what radion it has but I do. After spending two rears building, not to mention my scale warbirds, I wasnt going to put a 2 bit radio in amything that I fly. I was looking for versatility, flexability, reliability and programmable servos. I get all that in my 14SG. As for flying the Stampe, agree with all those things you say, except I dont throw it around but fly it as true to,scale as possible.

Advert

The new youtube embed doesn't look or worklike it used to, if this works it'll show how the full size gets chucked around and how I try to pattern my flights for scale. Of course my lack of practice usually results in a less polished patternnerd
PS Jon, clumsy thumbs require high friction ratchets for vertical snaps without changing the throttle, if you can fly without much, you're a lucky fellow. Cheers!

Posted by Nick Santovito on 26/10/2017 16:55:04:
The new youtube embed doesn't look or worklike it used to, if this works it'll show how the full size gets chucked around and how I try to pattern my flights for scale. Of course my lack of practice usually results in a less polished patternnerd
PS Jon, clumsy thumbs require high friction ratchets for vertical snaps without changing the throttle, if you can fly without much, you're a lucky fellow. Cheers!

Magic. yes Proper scale flying. wink no ratchet for me either, took it off for helis, stayed off.

Thanks for that Cymax. I couldn't quite make it out, though my partner thought it was a C- registration. Quite a pleasant scheme; we have been debating colour schemes for our nearly-ready-to-fly rebuilt Stampe. (Actually I expect first flight early next year!)

Bonny aeroplanes and gentle aerobats; true Colonel Aretsti style & era machines. Though some folk, like Neil Williams, Nick Bloom and the late much lamented Brian Lecomber could really make them sing !

Thanks Nick. It seems to be a very useful resource for all things Stampe. I’ve learnt a lot as well, it’s been great fun.

Last year I managed to loose my Svenson kit Stampe (Rothmans Colours) in a terminal crash at a show. We were flying out by some high cliffs on the coast and it was caught by turbulence...shame.

Ouch! That's a real shame.

Were the cliffs white? I've always wanted to see Dover.

Must be some terrific turbulence there.

Seems like I remember reading an article by one of the pilots of the Bristol Boxkite commenting on the control difficulties in the scenes over the cliffs. (In "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines"

Posted by cymaz on 01/11/2017 06:10:27:

Nick, it was in Cornwall...(for the location, Google Earth, North Cliffs, Camborne). The wind comes in from the Atlantic and then causes turbulence as it hits the cliffs. There are some fantastic slope soaring sites down here.

... and Cornish cliffs are not white.

Dover is in Kent in the extreme south-east of the country while Cornwall is in the extreme south-west. The sub-soil in south-east Kent is chalk, hence the white cliffs.

Lovely area.

All of those gorgeous farms in that area.

I assume they've closed the RAF field NE of the local club in Portreath, since all of the runways have Xs on them.

Portreath Beach looks like a great place for relaxing from the daily grind.

re. size. What the UK lacks in area, they more than make up for it in all of the coves, harbors and beaches.

• 1 month later...

I've just started a build of a SLEC Stampe and realised I have a problem having built the "Crutch" and attached the sides. It looks like former F12 is the wrong size. I noticed some mention of this problem very early in the Stampe thread. Does anyone know what has to be done to create a correct F12 former?

Guy's I posted in another thread, I've got I Stampe myself that I'm restoring but am looking at sprung U/C solutions. I'm pretty sure there is not a commercial set available for 1/4 scale Tigermoths/Stampes, but wonder if any of you guys that were making up your own offered your services to others here?

I don't have the time or the set-up right now and can't think of spending the time I do have on this restore, only to revert back to the stock fixed U/C config, the Stampe deserves better than that

Any thank you to the group for all the posts here over the years, I've got quite the library of reference images for my restore now. I've already started stripping of the covering.

prop (Stuart).
img_4235.jpg

Sorry Cymaz. I haven't got any photos yet. When the supplied F12 former is in place it spreads the sides too far apart so the remaining formers (F13 to F16) are not the correct size. The plan view of the aircraft is correct and F13 to F16 are sized accordingly but the supplied F12 is about a cm too wide. There is a section view on the SLEC plan at F12 which agrees with the wrongly supplied part so the sectional view must also be wrong.

Posted by propogandhi on 10/12/2017 23:29:40:

Guy's I posted in another thread, I've got I Stampe myself that I'm restoring but am looking at sprung U/C solutions. I'm pretty sure there is not a commercial set available for 1/4 scale Tigermoths/Stampes, but wonder if any of you guys that were making up your own offered your services to others here?

I don't have the time or the set-up right now and can't think of spending the time I do have on this restore, only to revert back to the stock fixed U/C config, the Stampe deserves better than that

Any thank you to the group for all the posts here over the years, I've got quite the library of reference images for my restore now. I've already started stripping of the covering.

prop (Stuart).
img_4235.jpg

The sprung u/c i made works fine but i couldnt build another without having the fuselage it was intended to work with. I modified the area ahead of the wing with a new plate and some other bits. The metalwork was then made to fit it.

Dont be afraid to give it a try though as i can post photos of mine and show you how i did it. Its time consuming but not especially difficult.

Hi Cymaz

I have a Stampe kit from SLEC sitting waiting to be started can't touch it till Christmas because Santa has not officially handed it over! However I am patient honest angel.

Thanks for the great build blog it will be really helpful. I did start another bipe build but I realise I need more experience to do it justice. The Stampe kit however looks a little less daunting with the aid of this blog.

All I need to do now is wait till the 25th honest I can make it, I won't look at it not even the plans or the hardware pack. Really I won't lol

Cheers

Scott