Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

If you mean this Martin then the answer is no, I had enough trouble with the rest of the rigging. Many broken HD wires show that the wings flex quite a lot but having fitted small springs to each they now do not break and so far neither have the wings. I think that the struts probably help a lot here.

Which kit is it, the original Precedent or the later SLEC one, and what are you using to power it since 1.3kg is a hell of a lot and mine has none, built fairly standardly from the Precedent kit? It is only 6.2kg despite Solartex and epoxy coated throughout. CG is 1" in front of the upper wing TE.

Advert

3 servos come to about 6oz and with the placing 4 times behind c of g compared to distance in front for ballast means at least a pound of lead to balance the servo weight alone, not withstanding any additional tail weight that may need compensating from the build process.

saito 180 is a few hundred grams lighter than a Laser 180 that I have in mine (which balanced slight nose heavy with no ballast) so that also would contribute to the weight needed up front.

I used pull pull on the rudder and elevator, with the servos near the bottom wing hold down block. Didn't use real diagonals between the interplane struts because I set up my struts to fold against the bottom of the top wing. but I did tie some elastic thread between them. Lasted about one season.

For all strut and wire attachments, I used Dubro steel clevises and .03" brass sheet fittings. that way I only have to unsnap 3 strut clevises on each side and 2 flying wire clevises on each side after bolting on the wings.

here is my build thread at the page with most of the fitting pics. (along with the compartment holding the 5000 mah A123 pack)

Build thread

• 4 weeks later...

The OD on my Oleos are15mm. I found its more important to get the compression rate and spring size correct. I used trail and error using various size springs and combinations.

Ive used Flexo Springs in Bristol on a few occasions, just had what I wanted. It was £6 p & p a while back

Edited By cymaz on 04/07/2020 17:01:05

I used 169mm HKing alloys struts 60-120class. A little long but at least they were in stock (took a loong time to come). A little long but easy to cut a bit off the tops. I dismantled them and put a short length of hardwood into the oleos to shorten the travel a little but firm up the compression. Probably be better with slightly stiffer springs tbh but can’t be bothered to search for an alternative. Kudos to Cymas for his work in finding the best springs.

I chopped out the axles with part of the legs supplied in the kit and used those as the angle was already set. The bottom of the oleos was drilled larger and at an angle to accommodate them. Unfortunately the axle stubs were then too short and although I cobbled a solution which worked for a while I have since made up new parts that are much better.

Edited By Nick Somerville on 04/07/2020 17:50:07

Hello everyone hope you are all staying safe and well, just thought i would share this link to e-bay of a precedent stampe for sale if anyone i interested fitted with a YS 140 4st.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precedent-Stampe-Biplane-SV4B-with-YS-140-4-Stroke/114280799430?hash=item1a9baa9cc6:g:ZXAAAOSwimRe66nI

hope i have done it right.

regards Colin

Thanks to everyone who's been helping with sharing info on engine installs for the Stampe that I'm refurbing. After a close flirtation with the idea of an OS GF40 (thanks to Alan Gorham for all the info there) I've decided to go with a Laser 180 - ordered today from Jon.

Jon - would you mind please posting me a link to your photos of engine baffling etc. and also to the revised u/c you've installed.

Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 06/07/2020 22:07:26:

Are they the same Oleos that Nick used - 169mm HobbyKing jobbies?

errr...they are silver..

I have a spare set somewhere, i will dig them out and try and find some more useful information