New Poll - what first got you started in aeromodelling?

Hi Guys, Aeons ago, when the world was young, I was at the old Abbotsinch airfield near Glasgow. There was an enormous high wing monoplane (A super 60 I think, but maybe it was before they were invented) It was crammed full of valves, elastic bands, with a muckle great petrol engine up front. Slowly, it took off, circled a couple of times, before gracefully descending to obliterate itself on a hanger roof.

I was still both gobsmacked and inspired

ernie

Advert

Actually none of the suggestions provided.My middle son was doing a bit of dealing of various things on E bay and acquird some cheap Maplin type electric models.They were rejects and i bought a couple but they were underpowered and were unable to do a cicuit.I then visited Modelzone and tried some of there models but again not very good quality.I then made the first correct step and purchased RCM and E magazine and through the more genuine model shops advertising in the mag started to get the correct advise on models anf my hobby started to improve.A chance meeting at my business introduced me to Aldershot model club and I was away with the help of the instructors.

I got interested through a mate of mine, although quite why I don't know. We seemed to spend all of our time flicking the prop on an ED Baby to no avail. Still, the bug bit somehow and I developed an life long interest in mainstream aviation.

After many years and with the usual minor distractions of girls, cars, marriage, kids etc I returned to the hobby. I was instantly hooked by all of the changes in materials, glues, transmitters and building techniques. There is no hope for me now!

As a small child, when staying over with my grandparents, I slept in my Uncle Ivor's room surrounded by models suspended from the picture rail! He was away in foreign parts doing his National Service.

I built my first model, a free flight rubber powered Keil Kraft Ajax in 1959, helped by my Uncle Geoff who built beautiful models but who was to die of cancer the following year; he was only in his thirties. It wasn't particularly successful and was followed by a glider. This model was not a success either but my first powered model, a Veron Cardinal powered by a Mills 75 ,was a great success and I was hooked though I didn't realise it at the time of course.

Then the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll years intervened but in 1988 I saw a man flying a model in a field in Devon and I've never stopped since.

Edited By David Davis on 21/11/2012 18:32:39

I joined the Air Training Corps at 13 and got into aviation through that, although no one in my squadron did rc so I had to find out about my local club for myself

BVRMC (Blyth Valley Radio Model Club) I went along on my push bike every summer night and all day Saturday & Sunday. Straight away getting to know the regular mid week daytime flyers I was offered few flights of various old models an ED Radio Queen for example, and that was it I was hooked. So for my next birthday I asked for money and I bought a full second hand set up.

I struggled the first few years to get my planes to the field regular as I relied on lifts as my parents didn't have transport, but to be honest it didn't really bother me if I had my model their as I would still go on my bike and the crack was and still is great. Nearly 20 years on and I still love it.

Now I have about 5 ic planes, 3 electric planes, a few gliders an electric glider and an ic Helicopter all geared up and a few models with bits took out of them for newer projects.

For me next season can't come quick enough as me and the wife had a baby in January so this season has been a write off so I'm already getting things ready for the new season.

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 21/11/2012 20:19:58

Edited By brfc7 on 21/11/2012 20:20:39

Posted by Mark Agate on 21/11/2012 10:34:57:

What about an option for "Saw a bloke flying at the local field"? In my case it was a friend's 10th birthday party - we were taken to Epsom Downs to play football, but I refused to play because I just wanted to watch the model flying.

How long ago was that, Mark? I've "only" been flying there for the past 21 years, but I know people have flown there for a great deal longer than that.

MY answer to the poll question is much like that of Ken, Tony & others - it's just something I always seem to have had an interest in. Nothing particularly got me started, other than being just about old enough to actually built something that stood some chance of flying! I took a few years out in the middle for university, starting work, getting arried, etc. etc. but then returned!

Actually there was a trigger for my return to aeromodelling. My brother-in-law bought me a Tamiya plastic kit as either a Christmas or a birthday present. It wasn't even a plane, it was the Williams F1 car. I started assembling it and decided I'd make a really good job of finishing it properly - unlike the Airfix kits of many years ago! During the building time the 'bug' bit again, and almost before I knew it I'd dug out my old radio gear and plane and was heading off to the Downs to fly it! As for the Williams F1 car kit, well that is 95% finished. It's sitting in its original box on a shelf behind me where it's been for the past 21 years. I might even finally finish it one day...

I was 9 when my big bro got me involved. Used to love watching him flying combat. Mum and Dad bought me an AM15 for Christmas. Saved Pocket money (with a top-up from M+D) bought a 1/2A Keil Kraft control line team racer and with bro's help I was away. All my pocket money was spent on either new models or fuel (got a local pharmacist to make mine. Much cheaper than the LMS bought stuff. Used to go with him (brother was 5 years older than me - sadly no longer here) and fly in his school playing fields with all his friends.

Loved flying with the Big Boys.

Ian

For the last 17 years I've worked on helicopters and never really had any 'interest' in aircraft. About 18 months ago I moved into a desk job and soon felt the need to do something more practical. I saw a model flying display and thought 'I could build one of those'. I built a TN Sky 40 trainer last winter. Joined a local club in about April. Passed my A in July and am nearing completion of a Clean Sweep smiley. I've got a list of 'must build' models as long as my arm and am enjoying flying too.

Dave.

An Airfix Spitfire at 9 years old, followed by a Gladiator, Hurricane, Wellington before (at last) a K-K Cub, then a few chuckies and several small K-K scale models before progressing to a Chatterbox with a D-C Merlin.

After that, a 72" span A2 glider from an Aeromodeller plan (can't remember the name, unfortunately) which became firewood on its 2nd flight, then... girls, beer and rock 'n' roll took over. Forty-something years later I found my way back!

Well, it was a while back now, and the right choice is not in the survey, since I got started from a book which had flying space models. I still have it somewhere too. The one I built and flew was styled like a rocket, but the fins were big enough to be canard wings, with a smaller wing at the front. It flew quite well from a catapult launch.

John

As with Max, although, I voted a freind.

My interest started with a toy, a catapult glider made by Walther of Germany. Toys just do not have the quality of workmanship or durability of these toys.

I used to fly it in the fields of my aunties farm in Westphalia. The model would catapulted into the heavens, using a short hand held catapult. The model would zoom up, loop, undertake various aerobatics, before settling into a glide. For a 6 years old child enthralling, what would it do next time, how far, for how long.

Then in the UK Woolworths played their part.with Airfix kits at 12p in todays coinage or apparently £2.40 inflated to todays values.

This combined with my mates building plastic kits drifted into all sorts of small modes.

I was heavily influenced by my older brother Ron (Now 81). When I was about 4 or 5 years old as I understood it Ron made jet planes at Hawkers in Kingston. ( Also the Sea Fury). Ron built a large rubber powered plane we / he flew at the local cricket ground (Now Streatham Rugby Club) and later when I was nine helped me build a rubber powered Fairy Firefly. I also went through the 'Airfix' and Keil Kraft Rubber powered planes era but at the age of 12 got my first diesel motor a Super Merlin and KK Pirate and 'things really took-off from there'. I had to borrow the money from Ron for the Merlin at about £3.75. This upset Ron's future wife as they were saving up to get married. I had to pay Ron back at about six old pence per week and of course lost the motor about 3 years later in the Southern Dragon!

MJE

No voting option really covers my situation ...

A lifelong pal and I had always been interested in aircraft since schooldays and we were chatting over a pint one day when he mentioned that he'd seen an advert for a cheap foam electric RC trainer. We were both then in our mid-fifties (11 years ago!) and we agreed "if we don't do it now, we never will" - so we did!

John,

The Southern Dragon was a 42 inch span polyhedral wing free flight model produced in the 1940's by 'The Southern Junior Model Company in Brighton. In 1961 a school colleague (Richard Macey) asked me if I would like to buy the SD kit which I did for 7 shillings and six pence. The kit was unusual in as much as he tissue paste supplied was contained in a glass tube with a cork stopper and the wheels which I still have were made of pressed metal. If you look on the Ben Buckle website a plan of the plane is shown. Ben Buckle suggests the plane would suit up to 2 cc motors which I would disagree with. My nephew had my plan and I must find out if he still has it. I think it would make a super electric RC plane and not only that the construction is designed as I have mentioned before so that you avoid any distortion.

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 22/11/2012 21:03:42