New Poll - what first got you started in aeromodelling?

Advert

My Dad was a free flighter and control liner lad, and he always talked about aircraft when i was young, there was always a magazine or book laying about to read. he showed my brother and myself how to build some basic stuff then we were left to have a go on our own. No square loops here with wires attached, but a wingover or inverted flight give me joy and i am just a happy, average rc flyer too.

My uncle built and flew many IC models and got me a Keil Craft rubber powered model when I was about 12. It look me months to build it on my own (no die or laser cut parts) but never did fly very well. Thinking about it now it was probably very tail heavy.

I built a second model a couple of years later and I think it lasted about 12 months with lots and lots of repairs but it did fly at least

Due to various reasons (Girls, exams, Uni, getting married, having my own kids) I only got back into the hobby last year starting with micro helicopters and then I joined the local club and started to have a go with fixed wing. I am now 36

Dad was heavily into it, so I never stood a chance. I grew up on a staple diet of Airfix kits and war films. We found my school 'news' books the other day from when I was 6 years old. On a Monday the teacher made us write/draw about what we'd done over the weekend - week after week mine are just covered in aeroplanes smile

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 21/11/2012 10:34:28

None of the above answers really fitted.

I was always interested in engineering and lived by a lake so used to construct model boats of various sizes. During the hols, I worked for my uncle in a grocers delivering orders and stocking shelves. I acquired some polystyrene apple seperator sheets and tried to make it fly by balancing a fishing weight from 4 pieces of string tied to each corner then lobbed it off the top of an old quarry. It became competitive between me and a friend (who couldn't see the point) who could make it fly longest/furthest.

I persuaded my uncle to pay me early and take me to the model shop where I bought my first kit - a KK Soarer Baby. I was 13...

Never looked back.

Happy days

--

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 21/11/2012 10:54:43

Thanks for choosing my suggestion!

Like the majority, it's family for me! Dad and Grandad both introduced me together, then I really got going 2 years ago. Airfix helped out but watching Dad do amazing things with his Wot 4 got me in. Concorde also helped, and the sound of four strokes!

Talking about family, my Grandad is currently building a Poppet biplane- that is an Ashby design...

CS

At the age of about nine my local church ran a Friday-evening boy's club, where we did many activities, including sports like boxing, and various hobbies. One of the adult helpers brought in a Keil Kraft Spitfire kit and a handful of us who showed interest were invited to build it under his guidance. I'd never previously had the confidence to try but, when I saw our finished effort, I was hooked and went on to spend all my pocket money on KK flying models. After a long period in the wilderness, I took up R/C building and flying around ten years ago.

Posted by Ken Lighten on 21/11/2012 10:23:12:

None of the above really - have just always wanted to do it, goes with an interest in aviation and aircraft from the age of about 4 years old!! - don't know where it came from as no one in my family or friends way back then had any interest or links

Pretty much the same for me, it's always been there. I've always been fascinated by aeroplanes.

Everytime this sort of question gets asked I recall a being even younger when the interest started. I used to say that it was when I saw a neighbour flying control line when I was about 14, then I remembered my Dad bought me a glider when I was about 8. Now thinking about aeromodelling in it's simplest form I used to nail a wing and tail to strip of wood and tie a peice of string to the end of one wing and spin it around me - my first control liner aged 5 at the most.

Started taking an interest in aircraft from my pram - I'm told - and grew up fascinated by aeroplanes and flying. My serious aeromodelling with any measure of sustained success was started when I was introduced to RC flying in my late teens by a friend who is an occasional contributor to this forum but I'd done quite a bit of building free-flight and the odd control line especially after moving next door to a boy around my age whose dad did some free-flight duration comp flying - although my efforts with KK rubber powered Hurricanes, Merlin engined Snipes etc. etc. didn't bring much flying success.

My uncle built and flew rc aircraft for the local air cadets so was eager to teach me the basics from around 7 years old, cant complain though some of my best memories of life so far have involved rc aircraft, from the moment you fly solo to the moment you hand launch you're own designed airplane and it flies! the journey keeps getting better, wonder what technology will be like in 30 years time when i come up for retirement surprise

Scott

I first saw model flying when I was a wee nipper living in berlin in the 80s-we'd occasionally see models (including scale helis) flying from the runway at RAF Gatow, and gliders from the Teufelsberg. Eventually when I had my own income, I got some balsa, a 40LA motor and a Sanwa Vanquard radio and built me a model.