Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

John, it is not clear to me if it was not Perez, who broke early and hard, with a view to back up Massa, to make the next section a drag race, both having lost momentum. Still, it was Massa that was caught out. I guess all is fair in F1.

Does any one know what the forthcoming changes to the regs are? I am hoping it is a relaxation of the fuel usage aspects, particularly, it was the several early laps at low pace, that allowed a race to develop, although, it was apparent that a economy run was still part of the challenge. Takes you right back to the 60s economy runs.

It does seem there is a new Sheriff in town though, Nico, may have to dump my No1 driver, always had doubts about him, well, that is unless he wins.

Well, as hinted at already, a fairly low-scoring round on badger - the top badger score was only 180 and several of our league members scored high up the badger list.

First the table;

Modelflying Forumites - Passcode: 651923

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 1047
2 Richfr F1 Richard 1014
3 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 1006
4 Typhoontone typhoontone 944
5 iQonics GP Racing iqon 921
6 JohnPs Plonkers JohnP 913
7 Essex Racing Essex Racing 888
8 CrackYak Racing Karl grey 855
9 Mannschaft Erfolg erfolg 846
10 Roos racers rk295 835
11 Norfolk Flyers nss 831
12 Robs F1 Legends Rob Lewis 819
13 I could not think of a team name Concorde Speedbird 749
14 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 726
15 pits specials john stones 683
16 Darmy1983 Duncan Armstrong 574
17 Lost the Track Dave 533
18 rActive Pat Harbord 382

OK, just give me a half-hour or so to sort out who did what!

So, a few place changes today...

Our best scoring teams were Ian and Tony, both on 150 points, and 12th= (even if badger says 12th and 13th!) overall on the day. Ian holds his third place in the league, Tony moves up 2 places to 4th. Equal 3rd best scorers today are Pete B and Erfolg with 135 points and 53rd equal overal in badger on the day. Pete moves up 1 place to the top, Erfolg is our biggest mover of the day, up 3 places to 9th.

Essex was 5th on 126, gaining one place to 7th, I was 6th with 109, but lost a place to Tony, dropping to 6th. John Stones was 7th with 104 points. No places gained though. Robin was 8th on 98 points, moving up 1 to 10th. 9th was Simon with 89 points and no position change.

At the top of the table Richard wasn't going to hold top spot with our 10th-best score of 87 - he drops to 2nd. Iqon also drops a place, to 5th, by scoring 82, the same score as Karl who drops a place to 8th. Somebody else scoring 82 was Pat who remains in 18th.

80 points was Norfolk's score, dropping him 2 places to 11th. Rob also drops 2 places, to 12th, by scoring 76, the same score as CSB who remains in 13th. Dave scored 70 and Duncan 67 leaving them in 17th and 16th places respectively.

As usual the full gory details are on display in the spreadsheet on google docs.

As for Massa and Perez, well it seems Perex was the one penalised for the crash.

Next up is Austria in 2 weeks time. Both qualifying and the race are at 1pm UK-time. Now, don't forget your predictions!

• 2 weeks later...

Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, have agreed to hear new evidence from Force India as the team attempt to have Sergio Perez's five-place grid penalty for the Austrian Grand Prix overturned.

I should think so ......they never even spoke to him before giving him the penalty......surprise

For justice to be seen to be done, it is not unreasonable to be able to explain your side of the story.

I guess it all comes down to the question, is it permissible to brake hard and early, to keep so one back, or is it just not in the spirit of racing, or its OK? Massa will not be the first to see early hard braking as dangerous. The perpetrators, invariably take the view, tough, its your job to avoid me.

Perhaps a public explanation would be fair to all.

And so, with P1 and P2 as well as Perez's hearing out of the way, it's time for the customary reminder.

Don't forget your predictions!

You can wait until just before quali starts at 1pm (UK time) tomorrow, but why not do them now - you can always update them tomorrow if you want!

I'm off to do mine now...

Posted by John Privett on 21/06/2014 22:12:36:

OK, hands up who predicted Massa for pole? Thought not!

Hamilton's lock-up was a bit odd. I wonder if there's another Mercedes gremlin lurking in the car...

Yes , his name is Hamilton....I vote Massa for 3rd....wink

Quick post before I grab something to eat... As the BBC coverage must be coming to the end by now (and anybody watching it probably won't be reading this!) here is our Badger league after today's race;

Modelflying Forumites - Passcode: 651923

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 1182
2 Richfr F1 Richard 1149
3 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 1141
4 iQonics GP Racing iqon 1081
5 Typhoontone typhoontone 1064
6 CrackYak Racing Karl grey 1050
7 JohnPs Plonkers JohnP 1003
8 Essex Racing Essex Racing 999
9 Norfolk Flyers nss 989
10 Roos racers rk295 982
11 Mannschaft Erfolg erfolg 966
12 Robs F1 Legends Rob Lewis 941
13 I could not think of a team name Concorde Speedbird 867
14 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 854
15 pits specials john stones 777
16 Darmy1983 Duncan Armstrong 729
17 Lost the Track Dave 665
18 rActive Pat Harbord 435

I know my result today was poor, I'll be back later with an account of who else scored badly - and who did rather better as well!

So, it turns out, no position changes in our top 3, nor in our bottom 7, but a few changes inbetween.

Our top scorer today was Karl Grey with 195 points, jumping two places to take 6th in the league. Second today was iqon with 160 rising one place to 4th. Third today was Kev, whose 158 points take him up two places to 9th.

Duncan was 4th with 155, Robin was 5th with 147, and equal 6th on 135 points today were Pete, Richard and Ian - but no places changes for any of these folks...

9th today with 132 was Dave, Simon was 10th with 128 and Rob was 11th with 122 - again no place changes here. Erfolg was 12th today with 120, and in a part of the table with few points between positions, drops 2 places to 11th. Equal 12th today is Typhoontone, he only loses one place though, dropping to 5th.

CSS scored 118, our 14th best today with no place change. Essex Racing dop one place with our 15th best score of 111.

Next up in the list are "the Johns" - John Stones scored a 16th best 94 and remains in 15th, whilst I scored only 90 - our second worst - and drop a place to 7th. 18th today was Pat with 53 points, remaining in 18 place.

Again, all the gory details are in my spreadsheet in google docs.

I don't know about anybody else, but my predictions were dreadful today. I only got the (lack of) safety car right and missed the rest completely.

Two weeks until the British GP at Silverstone! Is anybody here going? I've only been there once, and after going to Brands Hatch for every F1 race held there in the 1980's I wasn't impressed by what Silverstone offered from the spectator point-of-view. Maybe it's different now, or perhaps I should have re-mortgaged the flat to pay for a grandstand ticket, but I certainly didn't see very much from the track-side...

Well didn't do as well as I could have done had I followed my gut feelings but if I looked at the spreadsheet properly then I haven't lost out because after Canada I was 41 points behind the leader and 8 behind second place; after Austria it's status quo.

Must do better at Silverstone!

Edited By Ian Jones on 22/06/2014 22:24:36

Thanks for the summary John, interesting reading as ever.

Of course, I am now wondering why I was frantically submitting my predictions on my mobile while trying to order lunch for the kids in the few minutes before quali started, wasn't worth the effort in the end

Looking forward to Silverstone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hands up who thought I'd forgotten to remind you? smile o

Of course not, so I'll remind you now; Don't forget your predictions!

British GP tomorrow, and another Mercedes 1-2 is on the cards, or is it? Rosberg fastest in P1, Hamilton fastest in P2, but then the car ground to a halt... More Mercedes gremlins? dont know

1pm start for both the race and qualifying, so get over to Badger and get those predictions in before Saturday lunch-time.

I am most surprised that there are no comments on the final session.

It seems from comments made by Coulthard that Renault are not allowed to do anything to the engine to deal with the lack of power. It is my opinion that it is the lack of permitted engine development that is now the major issue which is increasing the predictability of which cars are the fastest.

Does any one else have reservations on Lewis's judgement? I do believe he had not been so intent in slowing Rico up, he probably would have remained on pole, just by having a go.

Anyway tomorrow is another day!

It was certainly a bizarre last lap. I don't think anybody expected the huge improvement in final sector times, least of all Lewis. As they started the final lap I think it was quite clear that Lewis just wanted to keep Nico behind him so that his pole position was safe. Half-way into the lap it was still apparently clear that nobody was going to improve on their previous times... or so we all thought. Yep - big mistake for Lewis, but tomorrow is another day. I figure he'll be on Nico's tail after the first 3 or 4 laps, and probably remain there unless he can get the pit stops to work in his favour, which he hasn't managed so far.

As for engine development, I thought the whole point was that to save costs engine development would be frozen once the designs were finalized and only minor tinkering would be allowed mid-season. It does leave the Mercedes engine in a class of its own for now though.

Edited By John Privett on 05/07/2014 15:49:46