Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

John

I do think the criticism of RB is unfair, only one of their drivers could get the performance out of the same car. Other teams with the then Renault engine could not achieve the same results.

The Mercedes situation at present is very different, they have a performance advantage that others cannot get near, so it seems. They have also refused other engine package builders any lee way to develop their units.

Another problem appears to be developing, the German market is being turned off F1. The present attitude of Wolf to Rosberg may have to change, if the German market starts to loose interest in Mercedes.

A relaxation of the fuel efficiency element could possibly help other engine package producers

It would not surprise me if Honda or Renault decide to pull out if they are not permitted to develop their packages, always being losers is bad news.

I can see that the present situation suites both Mercedes and Lewis, although the rest of the world think it is apparently boring and predictable and this is only the second race of the season. This is far worse than RB Vettel domination, in that Wolf has said that is good for Mercedes marketing for Lewis to win, in that it creates the impression that marketing is solely dictating how the team operates.

The original idea of the current engine regulations - as I understand it - was that development would not be permitted during the season to keep costs more manageable and thus allow more manufacturers to participate.

This has already been relaxed to allow a number of 'tokens' permitting development to be used by the manufacturers whenever they want during the year. And the newcomers, Honda, have a number of tokens to use during the season as well as all the development they did before the season.

Yes, I'm sure everybody would like to see a more level playing field, but I don't believe artificial means should be used to achieve this. That smacks of "positive discrimination" where the minority candidate gets hired despite not being the person most able to do the job. Has Usain Bolt ever been told that he's not allowed to wear running shoes in future races to allow the others to catch up?

We'll see tomorrow what happens, but it did appear that Ferrari aren't looking too shabby at the moment.

Posted by Erfolg on 28/03/2015 21:33:51:

I do think the criticism of RB is unfair, only one of their drivers could get the performance out of the same car. Other teams with the then Renault engine could not achieve the same results.

The Mercedes situation at present is very different, they have a performance advantage that others cannot get near, so it seems. They have also refused other engine package builders any lee way to develop their units.

It is worth noting that there are 4 teams with Mercedes engines, so your first point is just wrong. And having both Rosberg and Hamilton being quick is brilliant for the show, unlike just having Vettel run away.

Why is building the most powerful engine an unfair way to win? Formula 1 is an engineering exercise, it is about building the fastest car that obeys a certain set of regulations. Everyone knew these new engines were coming in 2014 and everyone had the chance to design their own engine, and Mercedes have built the best engine and the best car. It is no different to building a very good chassis or having efficient aerodynamics. They deserve the success they are getting, as much as Red Bull did.

So when Red Bull come out after race 1 and start complaining and saying Mercedes should be pulled back so they have a chance, they are missing the whole point of Formula 1. They also start slating off Renault, the company that supplied them with the power for every single Red Bull win. Frankly if they don't want to try and catch up Mercedes (like Ferrari are doing) and just want to limit Mercedes' power because Renault haven't built as good an engine, then they should leave F1. If not, then they should stop blaming Renault for their demise and knuckle down and work harder to catch up.

Mercedes are obviously going to try and keep their advantage! What would you have said if Red Bull had been barred from doing any aerodynamic research so everyone could catch up, especially in 2011 and 2013 when they had a much faster car.

Oh, and I am a Mclaren supporter by the way, and look how they are doing.

CS

Posted by John Privett on 28/03/2015 22:04:49:

We'll see tomorrow what happens, but it did appear that Ferrari aren't looking too shabby at the moment.

Not too shabby indeed! Not quite the result I was expecting - that early safety car immediately made one of my predictions wrong, and was probably a major reason for my other predictions being wrong.

Were we just discussing how boring and predictable this season was becoming? I don't think this race was either!

I'll post the league table later on when badger update it.

Concord

The problem that the teams with customer engines will have, is that their engines will not be the same as the Team Mercedes engines. That is in the first instance due to how the maintenance of engines is managed, each engine being identified with its own records. After that if managed as in the Cosworth days, there were materiel differences. etc.

It has been suggested that greater latitude is necessary when a major change takes place, in the interest of allowing teams/manufacturers to make up differences. I understood that the changes allowed are limited and relate to increasing reliability. The other teams wanted to be able to improve not just reliability but performance. Only Mercedes amongst the engine producers were happy with the status quo.

My predictions are thankfully in tatters,thank goodness, due to Ferrari.

I feel for Button, although he seems to much a nice guy, lacking the self interest of both Hamilton and Vettel.

I am ill at ease, where policies within teams are becoming increasingly transparent, in that Red Bull, have wanted an Australian to do well, also seem to want to change the structure of F1, so they are able to maximise their commercial marketing interests. The same seems true with Mercedes, with Lewis and Rosberg, where that UK and USA marketing are acknowledged. Yet looking at Wolff it does appear he is another Bernie with vast financial interests, from Williams, and parts of Mercedes. I guess it always has been so, when Sterlings interests were subordinated in favour of Fangio, and once the reputation of Mercedes (Silver Arrows) was reestablished in various markets, Mercedes quite, at the first opportunity, as further expenditure would achieve no more.

Anyway, this has been a good outcome for motor sport, although not good for my points tally.

Nobody told me we were getting pints for our predictions! wink 2

Anyway, the scores have been posted on badger and our league now looks like this;

Modelflying Forumites - Passcode: 428035

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 371
2 Revers Racing Pete B 319
3 FalconFormulaOne Tony H 266
4 RichF1 richfr 265
5 Not just up but down as well johnpflyrc 251
6 Roos Racers rk295 245
7 Manschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 243
8 pits specials pits specials 217
9 iqon racing here to win iqon 190
10 rActive GP Pat Harbord 175
11 Wheels and Wings Martyn Kinder 169
12 GoneWesthall SteveT 158
13 Norfolk Flyers nssrcmf 154
14 Essex Racing Essex Racing 137
15 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 111
16 Lost The Track David Gilder 109

I'll be back in a while (probably after lunch!) with a more detailed breakdown.

Well done Vettel and Ferrari- we have a battle now! Raikkonen impressed me a lot as well. Mclaren better but still have a ton of work to do.

Ferrari challenging Mercedes is good for the sport, F1 was the main winner today. I still think Mercedes have the edge in general but it is difficult to judge with so few races completed. I can't wait for Shanghai!

CS

Come on, CS - it's about time you put your money where your mouth is and get a team entered!teeth 2 A long way to go yet and a couple of decent rounds will see you back in the mixthumbs up

Yet another Eric Morecambe/ Andre Previn day for me - got the podium right - but not necessarily in the correct order....crook

Pete

A few big jumps - and falls - as you'd expect early in the season but no change in the top two. More of that shortly.

Top scorer today was Tony H with an impressive 164. That's well into the badger top 100 today, at 84th, best on badger scored 183. Tony moves up 4 places to 3rd in our league.

Joint second today with 140 points are Simon, Pete and Rich. They remain in 1st, 2nd and 4th places respectively, and Simon is now in overall 6th place on badger.

Fifth place today goes to iqon with 138 points, and our biggest climb up the league table, moving up 5 places to 9th. Joint sixth goes to Roos Racers and Erfolg with 123 points. Both slip a place to 6th and 7th in the league.

Eighth today were the Pits Specials with 120 points and no place change. I was ninth today with 119 and drop 2 places to 5th.

Martyn was tenth with 107, but that was enough to lift him 2 places to 11th as others around him scored lower. Essex Racing scored 97 for 11th place on the day and a 2 place climb up the table to 14th. SteveT scored 89 today, our 12th best score of the day and also remaining 12th in the league.

Pat was 13th with 84 and slips a place to 10th. Dropping 2 places in the league to 13th was Kev - 78 points being 14th on the day.

Ian remains one off the foot of the table with a score of 64, and David will be kicking himself (again!) for not getting his predictions entered - a score of 28 drops him 6 places to the foot of the table.

The spreadsheet with all our scores is in google docs for those who want to see the gory details!

So that completes Malaysia. Next round in two weeks is in China, qualifying at 7am UK time, race at 6am.