Aviation Funnies

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

Aviation related ish and a true story....

The big counter-insurgency warfare exercise at Sandhurst - 90 Officer Cadets and their Platoon and Company Staff (all NCO's from the Brigade of Guards) en-route to Cyprus for 10 days of sleep deprivation and sangar building, scheduled for a Hercules flight out of Brize Norton (well before it went all posh!) at silly-o-clock in the morning, weather is biblically bad, rain that needed a knife and fork to walk through.... convoy of Landies and 4 tonners arrive at Brize Main Gate and screech to a halt

Exhibit A - A Royal Air Force Oik on guard duty, clad in heavy waterproof greatcoat and cheesecutter hat, the rain forming a little waterfall from his peak hands thrust deep in his pockets

Exhibit B - A Captain from the 4/7th Royal Dragoon Guards (Company Commander of Alamein Company

Exhibit C - a Company Sergeant Major of the Scot Guards (He who reminded me, that as an office cadet, he calls me Sir because he has to, I call him Sir because I ******* Mean it)

Exhibits B & C approach Exhibit A, Halt in front of him, Exhibit A eyes them with suspicion

Exhibit C Takes a deep breath and screams "Don't you salute Captains in the RAF?"

Exhibit A - Simply says "We don't have Captains in the RAF"

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/10/2014 18:44:43:
The real Stealth Fighter !

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/10/2014 18:45:24

I think I've posted this one somewhere on here before (though not in this thread) as I uploaded it to my album precisely one year ago. (Well, one year and 28 minutes ago actually...)

This is a Stealth Airliner, pictured (or not) at Newcastle Airport... wink 2

cimg5155.jpg

• 2 months later...

Again apologies if you have heard this one but WW1 pilots were told on take off that if their engine was to fail 'Don't Turn back'. If you bank to the left you will burn and if you bank to the right you will crash so go straight on and you might crash or burn but you have a chance!

Average life consistancy of a pilot was 12 days to be shot down and a 1 in 3 in that is excluding a chance of being killed in take off or landing...

and they wanted to get out of the trenches?

Posted by John Privett on 01/11/2014 21:22:50:
Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/10/2014 18:44:43:
The real Stealth Fighter !

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/10/2014 18:45:24

I think I've posted this one somewhere on here before (though not in this thread) as I uploaded it to my album precisely one year ago. (Well, one year and 28 minutes ago actually...)

This is a Stealth Airliner, pictured (or not) at Newcastle Airport... wink 2

cimg5155.jpg

Posted by Vinegar Dave on 10/01/2015 15:03:52:

Again apologies if you have heard this one but WW1 pilots were told on take off that if their engine was to fail 'Don't Turn back'. If you bank to the left you will burn and if you bank to the right you will crash so go straight on and you might crash or burn but you have a chance!

Average life consistancy of a pilot was 12 days to be shot down and a 1 in 3 in that is excluding a chance of being killed in take off or landing...

What was even more scary was the number of training accidents in one book I read they reckoned it was around 1/3rd of all pilots killed were killed in training....smile o

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 11/01/2015 11:42:55:
Posted by Vinegar Dave on 10/01/2015 15:03:52:

What was even more scary was the number of training accidents in one book I read they reckoned it was around 1/3rd of all pilots killed were killed in training....smile o

It was similar with the 109 in WW2 ( although not quite 1in 3 but still a lot) many crashed the thing in landng in training

Guardian newspaper has supplied us with the correct phrase for the next airframe write-off. Following the failed landing of a reusable rocket first stage over the pond, the explosive aftermath was described as a RUD. Stands for Rapid unscheduled disassembly. Much better than 2 carrier bag job

• 3 years later...

Beware Props ! - True story apparently. In the Fleet Air Arm, Fairey Gannets had the Bristol Siddeley "Double Mamba" engine fitted with twin co-axial (contra-rotating) propellers. During engine run-up, and under certain light conditions, there was a sort of 'stroboscopic' effect. If you stood looking directly at the aircraft head-on this could have a somewhat mesmerising effect on some people.

One day, a rating whilst marshalling a Gannet forwards, got so affected and walked straight forward into the props.

I'm not sure if the pilot ever flew again....glad I wasn't there to witness it.

Dave C (ex-849 Sqdn, RNAS Brawdy)