Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Paul Tupker. I may be wrong but I seem to remember flying combat against him at a Dutch C/L competition in 1965. He flew stunt in those days..

He made a mistake and followed me through a bunt and didn't make it. That was over concrete.

LIke Paul, I learned that the hard way after trying to follow Ron Irvine through a bunt at the RAF Championships. but that was over grass so not as expensive

img_20180704_143600.jpg

Inspired by one of the other threads on the Forum, and having a couple of used SC52fs engines on the shelf, I fancied a go with a twin, so bought a Seagull Dual Ace. I also decided it would be the first model on my new Taranis/Open TX - interesting learning curve, but I'm a convert. The ease with which I could set up the throttles on separate channels, each with its own curve, with a switch to hold either engine at idle while I sort out starting the other was a revelation.Using the curves the engines are synched pretty much exactly throughout the rev range.

Fitted the battery as far back as I could to get the balance right (or so I thought - with hindsight I think I convinced myself it was 'near enough' the forward limit to be OK as I didn't want to add weight to the tail). I also mistakenly had the 'aerobatic' throws on the ailerons rather than the 'normal' throws. All caused by rushing to finish it before going flying on Wednesday.

First flight was exciting - raced along the ground, very reluctant to leave it until full up got it into a very gentle climb out. Full uptrim dialed in and still holding up to maintain height. Aileron response was 'lively'! Of course I ran out of elevator trying to flare for landing, but no damage done.

Put it on the Vanessa rig last night and balanced it properly to the middle of the recommended range - 50g in the tail - and sorted out the control throws and rates properly. A different aircraft today, flies very nicely indeed, and sounds absolutely fantastic. Even the leccy fliers were impressed.

Hi

This morning a managed the maiden flight of my first biplane, - at last.

It was built in 2013 and was supposed to be my comeback to the sport of RC flying. Four decades ago I had build a Mini Super but never did manged to fly it successfully. So now I intended to do everything right and listen to every advice (being that older and hopefully wiser).

I joined a club, got me a sim and started to practice. When I asked my new clubmates for advice, it was simple. A biplane is not a good first plane, - not even the second or the third. Probably the fourth or the fifth.

So, I decided to do the right thing and listen to the experienced flyers. I rebuild my Mini Super, I build a foamboard Nighthawk FF-117, a FoamFighters Old Fogy and a Spitfire, and a Mini Jazz, all of them, except the Mini Super, now a history that can by read at **flugmodel.weebly.com**.

Then I built a Bleriot XI by David’s Boddingtons plan and that has been a success and is still in a top condition.

So, the Sig Hog Bipe is the seventh model maidened over the last five years and has now had two successful flights – the advice of my clubmate has proven to be right.

B.

Edited By Birgir on 06/07/2018 12:28:39

Edited By Birgir on 06/07/2018 12:28:58

Bought the PT-17 Stearman at Cosford. Flew it later on the Saturday night. Needs a heavy battery, as a 2200mah 3s is too light.

pt17stearman (5).jpg

Also, these, bought for £40. Binds to Tactic set, which luckily I bought also cheap and using the defunct Hobbico Bind n' Fly model series...

hobbicomodels (5).jpg

This flew, a Yak3Mu. Flew it once before, didn't take a photo. the u/c broke and wouldn't go back down, so I bought a set of JP Aircraft Mechanic 120 size and fitted them. The Eflite ones that came out cannot be repaired, and Eflite dont make electric retracts anymore.

It did its 2nd flight and all is well. Now to fly it more. Bit of a handful, has a tip-stall to watch out for...

OS 120FS Pump Mk3

yak3mu_field (3).jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 16/07/2018 21:55:51

Maiden flight last week, first low wing since returning. No dramas just a little quick to land, no trimming needed, although i did pack RH wing seat with 1/32 ply to centralize tailplane before first flight.

dscn0372 (1).jpg

The CofG needs to be moved rearwards so I will remove lead from engine mount and add a tank retention plate.

dscn0380.jpg

dscn0379.jpg

Hope that I can now get some aerobatic practice, as I would like to think about entering the sportsman F3a next year. At least be in a position to start practicing the basic schedule.

SW

An "I don't know":

20180724_124100.jpg

20180724_124114.jpg

20180724_124130.jpg

What I do know, is it's quite fast, despite being a bit tatty and could use cleaning up aerodynamically.

Flown once today. And then the ESC seemed to die quietly before the next flight - to be investigated...

About 42" span and 3lb. Came to me fitted with a Mega 22/30/3, I've used 4S and a 6x6 prop, revs are high, I'd estimate 16k or so, works well at speed.

I've always maintained that modifying a Super 60 for ailerons is a bad move. It was designed essentially as a free-flight model, and to convert it into something suitable for full multi-channel control involves so many modifications, that you might as well build something that was designed that way from the start! The Frog Jackdaw was a contemporary of the Super 60, and designed primarily as a contest single-channel model, but with the ability to handle "full house" controls.

In the spring of this year, I decided to put my money where my mouth was!

I am quite pleased with the end product:

Test flights were conducted using this:

A 1969 Royal Classic transmitter "Giga-ised" using a FrSky hack module and a Phil Green Arduino encoder, though I have now also flown it on this:

A Grundig Variophon S "reed" (non-proportional) transmitter, also converted to 2.4 GHz.

Its powered by an ASP30 4-stroke, which provides adequate power. It was originally designed for a Frog 350 (3.5cc) diesel.

Aside from a slight tendency to swing to the right on take-off - probably caused by the prop catching in the grass (not a lot of ground clearance with the tail up!) - it is a joy to fly.

I only fly it on the Grundig transmitter on calm days. In a breeze - because of the swing - its too easy for the wind to pick up one wing, and a combination of the relatively slow response on reeds, plus it being 40 years since I flew like that, make discretion the better part of valour....! wink

It flies a little faster than a Super 60, and has a flatter glide - due to a thinner wing section. I need to slow the tick-over down a little more, as landing down-hill, and over a hedge, is a bit tricky!

But it is very relaxing, and a lot of fun!

--

Pete

Thanks Peter, I’ve still got my Jackdaw, although I last flew it in 1979! I used rudder, elevator and throttle on mine and it flew very well on a good old OS30,though that was a bit lacking in power for take-offs from long grass so I frequently hand-launched it, very easily. I used my first propo gear in it, Swan that was made by Wico-Pacey, otherwise known as Wipac, who made electrical kit for motorbikes. We were still on 27 MHz then and I had some twit in the club at Walsall turn on my colour while I was flying overhead and bring me down. Damage was slight and I could probably get it flying again in a day if I decided to. I also have the plans which show the aileron wing alternative. Good as the Super 60 certainly is, I prefer the Jackdaw because although it can be just as docile as a trainer it has genuine aerobatic potential as well with ailerons.

Hi Colin, yes, I had a Super60 many years ago, that I inherited from a fellow club member who emigrated to Australia! He flew it on single channel with an ED Racer for power! When I got it, I fitted a Grundig "reed" set with rudder, elevator and throttle and a Merco 35 for power. It flew well, but was a bit "floaty", and had to be continually pushed to keep it in a turn. It also had quite a built-in head-wind!

The Jackdaw is livelier, without being at all vicious, slightly faster and is more neutral stability wise. It will right itself from a turn - eventually - but ideally you do need to correct it to get out of a turn. I believe this makes it a much better trainer than the good old Super 60, which pretty much flies itself! I don't think you learn much from such an overly stable platform, and all the modified ones appear almost indistinguishable from a Jackdaw anyway, so why not just build a Jackdaw and have done with it?

Just my 2p worth, anyway!

wink

--

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Took my Alpina out for its maiden yesterday evening.

Alpina 4001Once the shaky launch was out of the way (trolley not tall enough, so a hand launch in zero wind was in order) and a touch of trimming done, she did what Alpinas do best - cover vast amounts of sky seeking out pockets of lift.

I'm amazed at how little lift can be used to full advantage with minimal effort!

Specs:

Alpina 4001 Carbon Thermik

Span: 4m (156"

AUW: 5.0kg

Kontronik Kira 500-30 geared 6.7;1 w/18 x 11 Carbon Cam prop. KST/Savox servos, Frsky gear w/GPS, vario, voltage on telemetry. Turnigy Graphene 4000mAh 4s pack

All-in-all, I'm mightily please so far! cool