Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Radio-assist free flight model for an upcoming "Dutch Old Warden" event:

p1030163.jpg

p1030165.jpg

It is a 150% version of Walter Musciano's PeeWee Pal from the '60s, suitably adapted to RC and sporting some design alterations of my preference.

Finally the successful maiden of my Vic Smeed Popsie bought at the Deanwater swapmeet.

Built as a 3 channel RC model the first attempt to fly was with the supplied geared, brushed motor on a 2S LiPo which was woefully under powered. 2nd attempt was with 3S which had more power but burnt the brushed motor out on the take off run!

Despite wanting to keep the old geared unit I succumbed and fitted a brushless motor, mounted to a 20mm motor box glued to the firewall. 3rd maiden attempt tonight was interesting. 9mph wing and quite tail heavy made for some erratic flying but ended with a safe landing.

A chunk of lead in the nose and attempt No 4 was much better although the wind was way too much for her and attempting to maintain control by increasing the throttle resulted in a hefty torque roll towards the ground. Landing on idle power and she was light as a feather touching down.

Another 2 more successful, although untidy flights in the wind and I decided to put her away and save her for some calm summer evening flying. Looking forward to flying her on the trims and just sitting back, watching her go.

20180516_190347.jpg

Thanks Ron - but I'm completely ignorant as to how I go about uploading - and any results from a Google search are pretty unhelpful as they all seem to assume a lot of basic knowledge. I really need a step1, step 2, step 3 / join part a to part b type instructions - don't need to know how it works - just how to do it! Any help of that sort will be muchly appreciated. Cheers Ron - Gurth.

Hi Manish, here are the specs:

Wingspan
65 in (1650 mm)
Wing Area
1072 in² (69 dm²
Weight
7-7.3 lb (3.18-3.35 kg)
Wing Loading
15-15.9 oz/ft² (46-48 g/dm²
Length
69.5 in (1765 mm)
Engine Required
2-stroke .61-.91 cu in or 4-stroke .70-.91 cu in

Edited By Ron Gray on 18/05/2018 13:24:45

Sorry Manish, yes, it’s the 60.

I’ve only had 1 flight with it and that was made shorter due to a dead stick. The engine is not running right and will need more time to resolve the issues so I’ve swapped it out for a new 80 I had sitting around and will try it out next Tuesday. So, it’s a bit early to pass a verdict on the engine but I think that it will be good but my long term plan was always to run a 100 in it. Tuesday should tell me if I need to make the change!

Finished my "The Ohmen" electric aerobatic design. Test flown yesterday

dsc_4721.jpg

47" span, weight 2 lbs 10 oz. Doese everything in the book and will not bigte, just release the contgrols and it is back to straight flight

dsc_4748.jpg

Aerobats happily on half throttle, only uses 2200 Mah 3 cell batteries

dsc_4770.jpg

Stuart PIckett who flies my models for the camera was doing low level inverted within a few minutes of taking over.

He loves it.

Here is something completely different from me after I finished my Tiger Moth. I have had this for about 15 motnhs, did some work in Autumn 2017 but then it sat idle until now.

It is the Blackhorse Mig 29 and is a larger sized ARTF EDF based around 2 x 90mm high output EDF fans. The model is 1.45m wingspan and 2.0m long and weighs about 8kg (17.5lbs) in flying condition.Mine runs off 4 packs of 4S 5,000mAh battery packs in an 8S, 10,000mAh configuration with just under 100Amps per fan giving just shy of 6kW in total. Not yet flown, but ground run, the fans are the newer higher blade count type and sound very good.

dsc06558.jpg

dsc06561.jpg

dsc06562.jpg