Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Not a new model, not even mine - rescued from a skip at Don Valley, with a load of good servos and other bits. So repaired and converted the Agritug to IC , the engine was £3 from a Swap Meet, so it costed £3, plus £14 for the Hitec 2.4 rx.

Bored, due to weather, so getting some old wrecks back in the air again, just done a Wonder 60 size.

agritug (2).jpg

Just finished MY Super 60. As it is sunny I shot out in the road and took some pictures

dscf3937.jpg

Felt like doing a nice colour scheme.Well, I like it!!

dscf3939 (1).jpg

the "Phantom Puddy Tat" on the fin used to be the 41 squadron ground crew unofficial badge. most cars had it on the windscreen in dayglo

dscf3940.jpg

.OS .40 Surpass provides the urge. Customised with 5" tundra wheels. I might fly it in front of the house when the field is stubble.

I did consider flaps but decided not to bother.

Very patriotic Peter, I like it. That reminds me, I must build the Ben Buckle Super Sixty kit that is currently languishing in my loft- as soon as my long awaited house move comes to fruition...

I was going to build it RET as per the original but everyone seems to fit ailerons (with reduced dihedral) so perhaps I should do the same. A 40 Surpass eh? Would an OS52 be too much for a SS?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/03/2018 16:34:44

I flew one many years ago on a Saito 30 that I had brought in from teh USA before they were available here. It was very aerobatic. The club that I was in at the time used to fit .60 two strokes in them.Saw at least one shed its wing.

They could never grasp that mine was on a mere .30FS

I think the .40 FS should be ideal but the .52 FS would be fgine.

You obviously live on a very quiet lane, Peter (actually in Norfolk they actually have signs 'Quiet Lane' ). Our lane is a dead end and unsurfaced mostly but attracts a lot of horses and the 4WD vehicles belong to the (mostly) young women who ride them so I would have to be careful using it as photographic venue.

Certainly a very bold scheme and with those giant wheels it should cope easily with a bit of stubble come August. I'm not sure about the cat's rear end, though although definitely not being a cat lover I should appreciate it and respond in kind. It was a wayward cat that indirectly got me aeromodelling when it fetched me off my bike and changed my life dramatically.

Geoff

Martin

I can't remember what power I had in my first one back in 63 but is was almost certainly an OS or Enya as I had not long been back from Aden where they were very cheap.

Geoff

The lane is pretty quiet, a few cars and grain lorries. IT is actually the village walk. A 1.75 mile loop back into the village. In the snowy weather I have watched the dog walkers and families with children tramping past looking like refugees from Siberia

I am not a cat lover either. .I do have a similar rear view of a dog which represents a well know phrase or saying.

Baron 1914, a classic French trainer. I have reduced the dihedral and fitted ailerons. Closed loops operate rudder and elevators. Spoof Russian WW1 colours. Graphics courtesy of Tim Calvert of Model Markings. OS 40 Surpass up.

I maidened it this afternoon. It flew very slowly and was easy to land.

baron apres premier vol (2).jpg

baron apres premier vol (1).jpg

baron apres premier vol (4).jpg

@ Chris Walby > wingspan is 1600mm, bare frame weight is around 800gr, AUW is between 1800 & 2000gr depending on the power train.

And yes, Peter. The Svenson Vicomte 1915 was in the early seventies a licensed kit for the original Baron 1914 designed by Frenchman Christian Chauzit.

By the way, I'm building a recent Belgian Vicomte 'revisited' kit at the moment. You can find the build blog here.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Chris Walby on 22/03/2018 20:38:16:

David, I like the Baron as it suitably different to the run of the mill ARTF craft. Could you let us know the weight and wingspan, thanks

PS is it tricky seeing the wings in the sky or do you just focus on the cracking tail!

Cracking tail! Nice one! You must have read the post I put up yesterday! **LINK**

Perhaps I'll build a new tailplane for it  as I am a competitor in the "Coupe Des Barons" in June. http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons I should have finished the tailplane in grey but did not have sufficient film in that colour. I do not think that Russian aircraft had colourful tailplanes in WW1.

I was flying against a 8/10 white cloud sky and it was easy enough to see. The thought of the model being difficult to see against a grey sky has occurred to me but I have better eyesight than most. The large white centres of the Russian cockades stand out well.

Incidentally, I believe that after the collapse of communism, Russian military aircraft are now marked with a very similar roundel to that which they used in the Great War, replacing the red star which they used throughout the Soviet era.

Edited By David Davis on 23/03/2018 07:00:33

Posted by McG 6969 on 22/03/2018 21:24:45:

@ Chris Walby > wingspan is 1600mm, bare frame weight is around 800gr, AUW is between 1800 & 2000gr depending on the power train.

And yes, Peter. The Svenson Vicomte 1915 was in the early seventies a licensed kit for the original Baron 1914 designed by Frenchman Christian Chauzit.

By the way, I'm building a recent Belgian Vicomte 'revisited' kit at the moment. You can find the build blog here.

Cheers

Chris

My "Russian" Baron weghs just over 2kgs probably due to the two mini servos in the wings and the fourstroke engine. I will have to add a few grammes to the tail too because the balance point is too far forward and subsequent flights have found it tipping over onto its nose on take off.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Seagull Zero, which maidened on Sunday. It's not straight out of the box - I've modified it a bit to get it a bit more scale-ish. There wasn't much I could do about the cartoon cowl, unfortunately it needs to be that long unless the engine compartment is significantly shortened. I matted down the high-gloss finish, repainted the cowl and exhaust stubs (had silver machine gun slots and bright gold exhausts! pah!), gave it a new pilot, instrument panel and gun sight, new vinyl decals and a more scale-like aerial post.

Inside, I converted the rudder to pull-pull, and it's running on dual batteries with a simple switchover harness just in case. ASP120FS up front with a painted prop and better spinner from Warbird Replicas (why o why o why do Seagull issue sharp pointy nasty plastic sports spinners with this kind of kit...). On-board glow and Eflite retracts underneath. As you can see, I've not yet fitted the gear doors, I wanted to wait until post-maiden before doing that.

There is some video footage of the maiden which I'll post when I get from my clubmate.

This is a super, solid flying model. Massive, massive fun, looks and sounds stupendous on a low pass with that 120FS burbling away.

20180405_183336.jpg

20180405_183352.jpg

20180405_183516.jpg

dsc_2115.jpg

dsc_2137.jpg

20180405_183508.jpg

Simon