Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

A bit of real nostalgia. My first Veron Deacon was build and flown in Aden in 1961. Last seen going up in a massive thermal

Just finished my new, electric R/C version in time for the first perfect day of the years. I spent ages just floating around in lift and even the first landing was perfection with never a bounce.

deacon 2.jpg

deacon 1.jpg

Photos by fellow club member Michael Morris

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/04/2018 08:31:47

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 16/04/2018 18:47:06:

I made a maiden flight with this on Saturday, Very lively on the ground will have to drop the prop size. Great glide in so now I will have to find/make/build a cowl

Getting the Cof G is going to be tricky, with that short nose and a light motor in the front. Are you sure it is not too tail heavy? You must need about a KG of lead to balance it...surprise

But you said it did glide, though...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/04/2018 18:55:10

Frog Jackdaw - one time rival to the Super 60, but more suited to multi-channel control! Power is an ASP30 4-stroke. Radio gear is FrSky. It will eventually be flown on a "giga-ised" Grundig "reed" outfit (non-proportional), but I'm still building that, so test flights will probably use my Taranis.

Hope to test on Saturday - weather permitting!

--

Pete

Hi Paul M yes the Spacewalker looks out of balance with short nose but the balance is as the book says and it does glide in smoothly. Lively on the ground was partially caused by the long grass at our strip and small wheels, the grass has been cut now and a second test flight should see better ground handling

New and old models.

New one in front.

152.jpg

These are 2.5 and 1.5 mtr span. Pod and boom obviously. Oh yeah, and as some will note, the wing is from a Hifly Precedent. (Precedent HiFly?)

And the reason I'm still calling the 1.5 new is that I haven't had a flight with it yet, a few "chucks"yes, but then it's on the ground a few seconds later. I've yet to meet other fliers when I've had it with me but haven't gone up to fly for nearly a year anyway. smile p

But it doesn't seem to want to fly, in my opinion, so hopefully I'll find someone, one of these days, who knows more about 2 channel gliders who might give me some pointers. The only thing I can think of right now is that maybe I could shorten the tail boom, but to me anyway, it looks ok.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 29/04/2018 14:46:14

Edited By Chuck Plains on 29/04/2018 14:47:26

20180503_115640.jpg

A Chilli Wind!

Gift from my dad, who has stopped flying it (although he is still flying a Rival, by the same designer).

"Maiden" today in the sunshine. Flies lovely.

Take off weight, 4.75lb.

It's electric, juice supplied by 4S 5000mAh lipo, via a 60A ESC to a 3548 900kv motor with APC 11x8. About 800W. Did two 8 min flights today, and used 50% of a charge on each flight.

Needs a few tweaks to control throws and sidethrust.

Internals, the usual stuff, standard size gear, Spekky RX, lipos on a ply tray, ESC tucked behind the lipos. Air in via scoop under prop, air out via hole behind wing.

20180503_122641.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you who have not followed my Tiger Moth Build log, here it is after 3½ years since I first started and closer to 4 years since I bought the kit. It is the Falcon Models kit, which is now no longer available. The kit is one of the closest to scale kits for the Moth and a lot of the functional details mimic the full scale quite closely, for example, the wing attachment method and absolute requirement for flying wires. I have added a lot of scale detail onto the some bought as parts, some hand built. During the build, I swapped over to all electric powered flight, so this started out as Laser 150 powered and is now powered by an electric motor drawing some 1500W. More info can be found on the thread Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth.

dsc06433.jpg

dsc06435.jpg

dsc06445.jpg

dsc06452.jpg

dsc06448.jpg

Have really been enjoying your build thread Peter, particularly as I have a two thirds built Tiggy on the go. Your problem solving and scale building has been inspirational - totally amazing project.

You do realise that there is only one job left now - making it fly. Good luck and don't forget the vid laugh

I like that Russell, very sleak design - similar to some of the '80s slopers. Don't worry about the weight, it will just go faster. You do realise that when flying such a model it is traditional to wear the appropriate period dress laugh

point fermin2.jpg

I am not sure the world needs another Vulcan, but we have one here. It's a semi scale slope design I built from plans and converted to a park flyer to gain a bit more stick time. It has a 50% thinned wing and slim vertical stabilizer to reduce drag for sloping. I have fitted a folding prop so she should still do a passable job as a slope soarer. I flew her for a couple of months nekkid and she has just come out of the paint shop and done a couple of remaiden flights which went well.

vulcan11.jpg

vulcan12.jpg

vulcan15.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 05/05/2018 02:20:17