Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by PeterF on 27/03/2020 19:41:41:
Posted by Peter Miller on 27/03/2020 18:10:45:

The engine is impresive.

I wonder if I can persuade my Dremel 3D printer to make one of those

There are a few radial engine models on Thingiverse of varying complexity

9 cylinder radial engine

Dummy 9 cylinder radial front half

3Dlabprint do not sell the files for the Stearman engine seperately, but they have some larger ones for B-25 and Corsair, page through their shop.

3D LabPrint shop

(I will have to set upmy printer and see if I can persuade it to produce one of those.

Advert

Yesterday I finished my Vultee Vanguard P66 from the Nick Ziroli plan available on Outerzone, increased in size by 7.5% to 65" wingspan.

It's powered by an ASP91FS and fitted with HobbyKing retracts and oleo legs. The receiver is powered by two LiFe batteries through a HobbyKing electronic switch/regulator which automatically switches between the two batteries should one fail.

dsc03071_r.jpg

It's taken me since January 2019 to build (my longest previous build was just 5 weeks!) but in my defence it is the first time I've used planking and Poly-C+glass cloth. Also, plan leaves a lot to the builder to decide how to implement the various features smiley

dsc03073_r.jpg

It weighs in at about 9lb. which seems a bit porky to me, but we'll find out if/how it flies whenever we finally get back to the field!

dsc03075_r.jpg

The cowl is split horizontally, and is removable in seconds, to save having to remove the spinner and prop to gain access to the motor, fuel-line etc.

Neither the colour scheme nor the spinner are meant to be scale-like, they are there to aid visibility and engine starting - all in all I'm pleased with the result.

Cheers GDB

Posted by Stuphedd on 30/03/2020 22:10:24:

Hi Tim that luxurious work bench takes me hours to iron flat so as the wings are built without warps, but it does mean I dont have to go far to bed ,

as there is no smell to these electric things I can use the spare room and nobody notices !

cheers

Just make sure you account for all the pins, or you could be in BIG trouble. wink