New site appearance

Well, I suppose I'm slowly getting used to it, but I do dislike the colour of unvisited links - it is just so contrary to convention...

Anyway, being positive (!), now that we have more width to post in, can we post wider pics and youtube videos? I see that Pete has been playing in the Sandbox and posting youtube videos at a width of 560. Can we all do the same now?

I live in hope that the next proper upgrade (I appreciate that this is just a re-skinning) will remove the ability of posters to muck-up the page formatting through a simple error or ignorance. No other forum I've used has this unique "feature", but I know I'm beating my head against a brick wall on this point! crying 2

Edited By John Privett on 13/07/2013 13:52:16

Advert

The forum post box is normally 553 pixels wide but it appears that pushing it out to 565 does not cause a problem, the left column with your name and profile picture can shrink down in width a little bit.

I guess it is up to the moderators if this is allowed

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/07/2013 13:13:08

Posted by John Privett on 13/07/2013 12:54:58:
I live in hope that the next proper upgrade (I appreciate that this is just a re-skinning) will remove the ability of posters to muck-up the page formatting through a simple error or ignorance. No other forum I've used has this unique "feature", but I know I'm beating my head against a brick wall on this point! crying 2

I totally agree with your comment and would add this  ...

This forum is the web facing element of a business, it is a comemrcial site as can be clearly seen from all the advertising, I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that given the commercial backing there is no excuse for providing a forum engine which appears to be ... well lets be polite and say ... not to be the best in the world ....

I do not know (and its none of my business) but I would assume that the moderation of the forum is done on a volunteer basis, to me it seems less that perfect that it is the moderators who are having to step up to the plate and defend actions which they themselves are not reponsible for when folks make comments about the functionality of the site.

For my money (and over the years I have spent a fortune supporting RCM&E) I have to say that my dissapointment sits squarely with RCM&E ... MyHobbyStore or whoever the heck it is that owns the business. In my mind I make a very clear distinction between forums that are run on a commercial vs. a none commercial basis; I see this site very much as a commercial 'front door' therefore I feel critical feedback is entirley appropriate.

There is a huge amount of traffic through this website (which must make it valuable to the advertisers), it is a terirfic resource for all of us, the forum content is a great reflection on the contributors (and not the site ownership). It is my opinion that the site owners are not providing the first class forum functionality that the contributors thoroughly deserve.

Oh and as for the recent changes ... it all apears to work for me (Mac OS X 10.7.5 & Firefox v22) so no axe to grind there.

Edited By avtur on 13/07/2013 13:51:08

smiley I like it ......................................BUT! I cant see if I am logged in as the old site had my Avatar in the left corner so I knew I was logged in. This new site doesnt seem to have a avatar or a Hello notice to see if im logged in.apart from that .......................I am Happy yes

Posted by Roy Mundy on 13/07/2013 13:44:56:

smiley I like it ......................................BUT! I cant see if I am logged in as the old site had my Avatar in the left corner so I knew I was logged in. This new site doesnt seem to have a avatar or a Hello notice to see if im logged in.apart from that .......................I am Happy yes

Top line next to the "search" box, shows login/logout status.

Posted by John Privett on 13/07/2013 12:54:58:

Well, I suppose I'm slowly getting used to it, but I do dislike the colour of unvisited links - it is just so contrary to convention...

I think this sums it up, it is as if the designer has never visited other websites and especially forums, so many features here are 'unique' and sometimes counter intuitive requiring a bit of a learning curve to make the most of the site features - eg the ability to post pictures.

PS - everything is working so far on Firefox under Win XP, Win7 and Linux Mint

What is amusing is that the forum thread for the "New look website" on Popular Patchwork is getting similar comments about design and colours but their thread only runs to 3 pages to our 10 (and counting)

That must make us "grumpy old men (and ladies)" devil

They do get better colour contrast for visited links so perhaps our link colours can be looked at again.... just don't make them pink disgust

(P.S - I only visited the PP site to be nosey - not a regular visitor!)

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/07/2013 15:21:13

Avtur, +1. I tried to say something similar earlier but you've expressed my feelings much more clearly. Lets hope that after the weekend at least visited links get a different colour. Leaving them the same is just plain wrong.

I don't think it's improved. Most people are using widescreen monitors, even this laptop is widescreen, which leaves 2 inches of dead space either side of the main body. Also my android tablet is 16:9, so all the stuff is squashed round the middle, wasting space on the outside. "Improvement", eh.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 12/07/2013 08:07:55:

It's a rogue survey that is completely unconnected with the forum, Ken. Does it look like this?:

survey (834x940).jpg

If so, in your IE settings, you can block access to 'globalconsumersurvey.com'

That should sort it.....thumbs up

Pete

ps I've just Googled that web address and there's a lot about it, such as: Warning: The website globalconsumersurvey.com appears to be the destination of a web page pop-up advertisement installed by malware/adware plugins like "DealSpy".

Check your program list and make sure DealSpy or similar hasn'r been inadvertently installed.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 12/07/2013 08:15:22

hello pete b........yes that is the very thing that i was getting all the time when i was accessing the forum through internet explorer,,,,but not through firefox...anyway i had a go as you suggested.......barring all the different web page address's that it was putting up to no avail.......so this morning i've been on to the microsoft web site and 'repaired IE10 ' through that...and so far it appears to be normal.....again....the funny thing is - it first started to happen the same time as the new look forum changeover etc.......never mind......watch this space...

ken anderson ne..1...........it/not dept...

Wow - 10 pages about the look of a website!

Has anyone noticed the weather out there - get out flying instead of worrying about colours and formats, it's the content that we are interested in and as long as everyone keeps posting that's all that matters.

Today I'm an antagonistic old Hector!

Posted by pete taylor on 14/07/2013 16:38:48:
Posted by Mowerman on 14/07/2013 11:37:13:

Time for a new poll - New site layout -Like or Dislike.

yes +1

Good idea Mowerman. It would also be good for the repliers to put their age in as well. Not that I am inferring anything. I'm not that young myself. Maybe it could take the form,

Best thing since Lipo cells

Great. I like it

It's ok

Not over chuffed

Who gives a ------- (insert as appropriate)

It don't float my boat

I don't like it

I'm off to join another forum

kevinb devil

Mmmm! Do I detect a little stereotyping going on with the new design. If memory serves me correctly the links at the bottom of the page used to include all the titles in group - including Stamp Collecting, HiFi Choice, Homemade with Love etc. I notice now that they seem to have been pruned - to include only those titles that you would think an aeromodeller might have a passing interest in; ie Model Boats, Model Railways, Model Engineering etc.

What about poor WolstonFlyer? He needs to be able to get over to his other main interest - Popular Patchwork - in a "seamless" fashion (ouch crook). There could be important developments in cotton supplies, patch dying or rug making that he needs to know about - quickly. He has "sewing blogs" he needs to keep upto date etc. With no quick link,this is a potential crisis for him!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2013 00:16:23

A quick check over in Popular Patchwork - just looking for WolstonFlyer you understand - reveals that they only have links to "Homemade with Love" and "Horse". No link to us!!! How is Katy going to come over to see us without a convenient quick link????? Katy, we're missing you already! smile o

BEB

PS Maybe WolstonFlyer could take a message?

well after taking a moment to browse over it i have to say i like it.

i like the ads at the side and the site is much quicker on my tablet so thumbs up.
Does everyone that is not happy with it have a genuine reason? it may just be a case of being ill at ease with change.

But i think its a good change.