FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

Yes Martin, you can. Anything that you can do on the computer - you can do on the Tx. Its definitely more convenient on the computer - but you can do it on the Tx. In fact, for myself, I sometimes make a point of doing stuff on the Tx just so I keep my hand in around the menu structure, that way when I want to alter a setting down at the field I can remember how to do it!

BEB

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2014 11:44:39:

just as long as these new developments stay practical and don't start to become intellectual exercises in what can be done rather than what should be done - we don't want to end up with the equivalent of Microsoft Orifice do we?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2014 11:45:30

How True....................

Its interesting to hear different views on this. I set up my first model entirely on the Tx, but all subsequent models have been set up on C9X - I just find it quicker!

As I say I do make setting adjustments on the Tx, but I'm also finding that when something small and non-critical needs to be adjusted I tend to jot it down, wait until I've gathered a few such items together, then do them as a job lot next time I have the Tx connected to the computer.

BEB

I'm tending to use computer for the initial set up then fine tune with the model and Tx. I do find it easier but it also cuts down on wear and tear on those rather clonky buttons. A friend had one fail on him, ten minute repair job however, but I prefer not to use them too often.

Still having fun though and they are back in stock at HK. Had about twenty emails about it.

Regards.

Right Lads - we're home and dry!! thumbs up

What is the only thing holding Taranis back?

Well I'd say the fear some folks have that it might prove to complex for them - Right?

Well we have an ally in dispelling that! June's Mag - Letter of the Month - its official,....apparently Taranis is responsible for dumbing down the hobby! Its there in black and white. Well - I'm glad they told us! And there was us worrying about its reputation for complexity - silly boys that we are!

So, from now on, anyone expresses any fears in that direction - we just refer them to the letters column of the June editions of the mag - no problem! wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/05/2014 21:43:04

I fly electric, have been using a Spektrum Dx8i, but just received the Taranis and the difference for me is incredible, I think it's the best equipment I've owned now.

In minutes had it programmed, although I should have read the manual for binding the X8R Rx! I've added the LiPo monitor to get minimum cell voltage and total pack voltage, I have a switch set that I can flip to get a voice announcement of voltage e.g. "12.1volts", I've just found it will tell me when the trims are back to zero, I like that and today I added the GPS V2 module, which takes about 45-secs to a 1-minute to lock, but then I get quite a few options:

Alt for Altitude, -Alt for minimum Altitude, +Alt for Maximum Altitude, GAlt for GPS derived Altitude, I can get GPS time, heading, Vertical speed, Horizontal speed, the list goes on and all for £24. I have also got a switch for flight logging, so I can record my flight path and altitude, I can't wait until tomorrow to get out and try it all.

The fact that I don't have to look at my screen anymore for flight duration and can check battery voltage anytime I like and I get a count down of flight time remaining is a big bonus for me and I shall probably never go back to Spektrum after this.

By contrast a Spektrum Tm1000 module is £39 and all it gives me is voltage and temperature to the screen, plus I would have to add a GPS module at £60 or more, well actually I can't get all this in the current mainstream market for a cost for me so-far of ~£200 total. Spektrum has cost me ~£300 but no voice!

I am glad to join you folks in this new revolution in Transmitters/Radio gear.

Sorry to cross-post across forums but this could be important:
A word of warning for anyone with an OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX module in their Taranis, or anyone who mixes OrangeRx modules with any other equipment such as Frsky/Corona/Spektrum/etc  -  theres been a poignent reminder on RCG worth repeating...
If you use OrangeRx modules alongside other 2.4g equipment like Frsky, Spektrum, etc remember that where almost everone else uses a male RP-SMA on the module and a female RP-SMA on the aerial, OrangeRx uses a female SMA on the module and a male SMA on the aerial.
Put simply, the OrangeRx aerial has a pin in the centre, almost everyone else has a socket. This means its very easy to fit for example a Frsky aerial onto an OrangeRx module - it will apparently fit perfectly, it will screw on nicely, will seat nicely and look perfect. BUT there will be no connection between the module and the aerial - both having the centre socket. Unless you're very hamfisted and you bend one or both of the pins you cant fit an OrangeRx aerial to (say) a Spektrum/Frsky/Corona module, the pins on both parts prevent you screwing them together.
I'm borrowing a couple of photos from RCG as it illustrates the point perfectly - so credit to the OP over there:

orxant01.jpg

spekant01.jpg

Frsky & Corona is the same as the Spektrum in the pic.
Bottom line - mixing up Frsky & OrangeRx aerials could be disasterous!
Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 03/05/2014 00:04:06

Hi David - welcome on board! Great Tx eh?

Check out the current sensor - only about £12 I think. As well as battery voltage, which is useful, it actually integrates the current and so gives you mAh used (which of course is the definitive measure of how much "juice" you have used from the battery). You can of course then set up voice alarms for "low battery" at say 70% used and "critical battery" at 85% used.

As a bonus, it also works out the power in watts (as it has both voltage and current data). This gives you a built in Watt Meter! No more awkward connecting up the watt meter - just read it off the Tx screen. And of course you can (for the first time as far as I know) actually know the power being used "in the air" when flying and the prop is partially unloaded.

Amazing extra capability for the price.

BEB

Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/05/2014 21:41:08:

Phew I came over all feint for a moment then wink 2

Sorry Martin, wrong Martin

Cheers

Danny

Just decided to have a quick peep at this thread while waiting for a computer upgrade to complete and found my name being taken in vain! Rest assured, I'm still very happy with my Jeti. These Tarani are certainly impressive bits of kit for the money and seem to make a lot of sense but I'm still in honeymoon mode with my DS and getting great pleasure from the mere feel of it, let alone the performance.

Hi BEB, thanks for those additional ideas, I had not realised power used was an option and that it integrated the two (V and I),as you say that's a much better indicator of battery capacity than voltage.

I can't quite see yet how to set a voice alarm for a given % or battery voltage! I'll have a go through the menus. if I had a criticism it is the manual needs much more input from the community to add in all the features. The GPS v2 module is a case in point, I can find little or no information as to what all the parameteres are, so I went through the taranis source code to see what the telemetery module was doing, that's how I figured out GAlt was GPS derived altitude, of course I should have figured that out as the other source of altimeter is that from the air pressure derived vario. Even the units are hard to determine, I will know today when I've flown it all. I'd like to know a bit more about the half-duplex S-Port but can't find any details of it, to add my own vario, which is odd as it's supposed to be an open system, still by the time I've purchased a Bosch BMP085 and an Arduino I will have spent more than buying a ready made unit! If that keeps Frsky in business then that's what I'll do.

Its amazing that they are selling out as soon as they come into stock, so I watch with interest the current survey.

Once someone has seen and experienced these radios, it seems hard to contemplate why anyone would purchase any other brand.

David

Edited By David... on 03/05/2014 08:13:45

Is it possible to set the radio up and then import that into the Companion?

I there is a process issue in that the Companion overwrites the radio settings without having first imported or warning. I guess easily resolved by the community in the fullness of time.

Posted by David... on 03/05/2014 08:05:01:

I can't quite see yet how to set a voice alarm for a given % or battery voltage!

Hi David. For a voice alarm you need both a Custom Switch and a Custom Function.

Set up the CS function as A<S and with the sensor selected and a value set.

Set up the CF so that the switch is the CS, the function is Play Value and the Param is "batlow" or other suitable audio.

Posted by David... on 03/05/2014 08:09:30:

Is it possible to set the radio up and then import that into the Companion?

I there is a process issue in that the Companion overwrites the radio settings without having first imported or warning. I guess easily resolved by the community in the fullness of time.

Yes absolutely, when you "Read eeprom from Tx" yo get a file (eeprom) from the Tx which contains all model memories.

You can tweak a particular model on the pC then "Burn eeprom" to put it back.

NOTE THOUGH: "Burn eeprom" overwrites all model memories in the Tx, so your eeprom version control really needs to be up to scratch.

Yes David - that is exactly what I did. Set my first model up in the Tx, then export that set-uo to C9X. You could just as easily do it the other way of course - set your first model up in C9X then export it to the Tx. Its your choice.

Yes the import/export does write the whole (potentially) 60 models each time. But TBH it not really a problem once you know it does it. You just tend to import from the Tx, make a back up copy in case you screw it all up (unlikely - but a wise precaution I think) then do your programming, save it as a new version in C9X, then export the lot back to the Tx. It actually takes longer to write down than it does to do!

BEB