Do you ever get nervous when flying?

Advert

Basically if something is unfamilar. So yes I'm always on "hightened alert" (sounds so much better than just plain old fashioned nervous doesn't it!) if it's a maiden, if its someone else's model or I'm flying "away from home"

Strangely problems with a model in the air don't make me nervous at the time - just very focussed. I then have a sort of "reaction" afterwards once its down and all over one way or the other! - "phew!" adrelalin pumping like mad etc!

TBH - I am also nervous when I hear one or two particular clubmates call "taking-off" when I'm already flying! Their call is usually answered by me calling "landing"! wink 2

BEB

I always do not unless the model is a cheapo, or 'indestructible'. I heard the saying "only fly what you can afford to crash" but do many people actually stick to that? Maybe people would feel less nervous if we did but where's the fun in that... I think nerves keep you focussed which might mean less incidents. Just my opinion.

Nice poll idea, liking it!

Tom

I had a balsa built up trainer that I spent 2 years building in my youth. It did about ten flights in as many years. I was so terrified of flying it, I never did, and never really learnt to fly confidently.

A bit older and a bit wiser, I look back and think I may as well have flown it and crashed it than not flown it at all for fear of crashing.

Got back into the hobby with an ARTF to re-learn on, and never looked back. All the nerves were 100% associated with the time I'd invested in buiding it!!!

I,m with BEB and PatMc. I call landing the moment i hear some folk start up in the pits whereas i will fly wing tip to wing tip formations with other trusted fliers. I do have the odd 'clench' moment when flying my LMA size models just because there always seems to be a crowd watching. Its double edged sword, we like to show off our models but it means theres always a crowd of your peers ready to dissect each stage of the flight

Mind you, i do listen to see if anyone calls landing as i taxi out ....nothing so far though smile p

Rich

Edited By richard cohen on 03/09/2013 15:32:59

I was told, many years ago, to check on a flyer's mental state, nervousness, lack of experience or confidence, 'watch the feet'.

A good flyer will have his/her feet planted. When they turn to follow the model, one smooth turn, no fiddling about, stamping, pacing sideways. No twitchy movements.

Try watching a good flyer, they don't lose balance, stand on tiptoe, bend the knees on final approach, or show any of the above bad habits.

CPB

I find myself a pretty cool flyer , i enjoy maiden flights since you dont know what to expect, but yes there are always a few moments hidden round the corner when you think oh oh whats happening here, had a moment last week when i was towing, then got the tow line wrapped round my elevator! Had to use throttle as my attitude adjuster and come in high alpha, with a art tech diamond 2500!!!! using only throttle and full throws, yes at that moment i dont think i could breathe but still took it one step at a time, ahhh i love flying.....smile d

Once again I'm having trouble finding an answer...

I suppose I'd define my feeling (hopefully on all flights) as respectful. In my opinion, once you reach B standard, nerves shouldn't be a significant factor in your flying.

Certainly when flying a >7kg model you would be foolish to be flying if you had reason to be nervous - could you truthfully say that you had a reasonable expectation that the flight could be completed safely? Of course, this extends down to most models although I can be a little cavalier with the odd foamy 3D bounceable model, I suppose.

There is a feeling of excitement or enhanced awareness when maidening a new model and especially if it's unusual in any way but proper preparation for the flight should reduce any feelings of nervouseness. You don't have to commit to full flight straight away, as an example and I have adopted full size principles of controlled hops on a few occasions with large or unusual models. Although the pressure is different when maidening someone elses model, I feel that it shouldn't be significantly more stressful than doing one of your own - if it is, perhaps you're approaching the task with the wrong mindset?

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/09/2013 16:58:03

I'm nervous mostly, but very, very focused, that's because i;m new to this hobby and i like to push myself, failurs is an option as is success, failure mostly at the mo, well failure is a bit harsh on myself if i'm honest, trying to learn on a new large ish model EDFJET lol and finding out on my own the correct CoG, Settings, rates etc...also building this jet using parts i'm not realy familliar with, i'm outa my comfort zone a long way, but i would not have it any other way, i Learn, It doesnt cost me to much to repair as i'm learning new skills mending new materials i'm not used to with little to no budget.

I LOVE IT thumbs up

For a maiden flight, or a model that's particularly dear to me (for that read building time and effort!) or someone else's model, there's not so much nervousness as a high degree of concentration. As Martin said, excitement and enhanced awareness, coupled with careful preparation, should replace nervousness, which can only be distracting.

If you're nervous when you're flying, you're missing the point - you're meant to be enjoying yourself! smile

As BEB says, the adrenaline flows a bit on a maiden and it's after the landing that I surrender to the wobbly knees....teeth 2

Pete

This is interesting as I thought I was almost alone in this. I ticked maiden a new model but find I am ok with a few club mates but once it gets busy I am less keen to get airborne.

I am ok with flying with one or two other models but it does depend which members are flying them. If in doubt land.

Mike

I'm pretty calm in most situations these days - even maidening a new model doesn't faze me too much.

Where I am wary though, is if I fly at an unfamiliar site with strangers, and I'm not au fait with the local protocols. Yes, here's usually a pilots briefing of some kind, but there's always the 'unwritten' laws that all the locals accepts as the norm, but can be strangely obscure to a visitor.

Other than that, I enjoy my flying too much to even think about being nervous!

timteeth 2