RCM&E / Greenacres June 2014 fly-in - chat thread

Advert

Should be there early Sat morning. Big rotund chap (strawberry blond....not ginger...what's left of it !!) with a silver Boomerang jet, Hanger 9 B25, bright yellow Pushycat and anything else I can jam in the car. Should have a huge smile on my face because I don't get the opportunity to fly my jet very often due to local restrictions.

Hoping to get some good flying in, but happy to support/spot anyone on the flightline.

It's an early start from East Grinstead, so how early does the burger van start selling food ?

Regards,

Simon

I'll be there just as soon as I can on Saturday morning, I'll be in my silver MK1 Focus (modern day classic wink 2). I have never flown at greenacres before even though I have been there the last two years. I intend to put that right this year embarrassed so if your flying for the first time you won't be on your own.

Nev.

Just finished playing seat alhambra jenga with a 1/4 scale Zero, a1/3 scalepup sleeping bag clothes chairs fuel cans tool boxes WING STRUTS!! and on the back a trailer, soo whats next, shower, find me desert wellies, and orft i jolly well go, see you in an hour!!!

chris

I have just noted that Simon will be bringing his PC, I know that Colin is bringing his, my PC is in the boot, i guess there will be many, many more. Does that mean there will be a "pride of pussies" on display at at Greenacres?angel 2

Edited By Erfolg on 20/06/2014 17:31:07

I am already insanely jealous Allan, not for hearing someone snoring, SWMBO does that very well, but for actually getting there.

Off to London today though, doing the museums so that might help to take my mind off what fun you're all going to have.

Next year I'll be there.

Posted by John F on 21/06/2014 07:08:55:

I am already insanely jealous Allan, not for hearing someone snoring, SWMBO does that very well, but for actually getting there.

Me too but hey life can be like that and nothing short of international disaster will stop me next year winkon the + side I do have a chance to fly with some of my club mates at my number 2 club field tomorrow evening once the pesky cheeky polo ponies are out of the way

After really blowing it by failing to complete two projects in time for today, I capped it by not being able to find my BMFA card to prove my insurance, so I couldn't fly! However, got home and asked my son when he got in from work and he'd got it! I renewed his and mine together and didn't realise that when I gave him his, I gave him mine as well and he hadn't noticed!

Sorted!

Only 180 miles away (Brighton) and all packed up, tent and camping stuff in boot of car. Greenacres here I come! It was not to be however. Got as far as Leatherhead and M25 gridlocked with motorway closed due to an earlier serious accident. Returned to home 3h after setting off! What a shame, next year I will set off a day earlier. Looks like a great weekend chaps and fab weather too. On the plus side at least it wasn't me involved in the accident, I am sorry for the poor souls that were.

Just got back having left at 14-45. Thanks to everyone who did the organising, they did a great job for us and there was the usual fantastic flying.

I didn't do very well I'm afraid. Flew the Toucano from last year, which is normally very smooth. I haven't flown it for several weeks and it had gone out of trim for some reason. I kept it high up while I sorted a strong left turn and up tendency. Once I was happy with it and got back into the circuit I'd run the battery low and finished having to do a deadstick at the back of the field, although it was a good one.

Later we did the mass-build fly-off and I messed up my usually decent under-arm launch, the PushyCat looped right over into the ground before I could catch it! No damage done except for a loose pilot, so off again. This time copybook and settled straight into the fast sweeping circuits that it does so well, very jet-like. On the fourth, coming fast up the back field, when I came to do the left turn across the top of the circuit, no response. It just carried on, getting further and further away. I wondered if I was looking at the wrong plane and asked Danny Fenton. He confirmed it was the one I was looking at, but it was so far away that I couldn't orientate and anyway, it wasn't responding to anything, just heading down. I walked around the top of the strip to get to it. It was well imbedded and broken. Having said that, it's all in big pieces and would repair. However, I'm going to bin it. It's rather quick and hard to see at times, (at my age) and the space in the shed will be useful.

Hi,

back home safe and sound! The weekend didn't start well for me when I stuffed my long serving and beloved Sbach in due to sheer stupidity! unlove (See I told you anyone can do it!)

After that I managed to upend my Chippie on landing! I decided Friday wasn't going to be my day and after a meal retired to Mr Bott's caravan to drink too much beer before toddling off to bed in a solemn mood!

But Sat and Sun both dawned with bright sunshine and things got much, much, better.

Got several flights with the Chippie in, but the highlight each day was undoubtedly the Mass Build Mass Fly - 13-14 models in the air at once on each day - most of which look identical to yours! I tell you it doesn't half focus the mind!

During the Sunday one, Danny attached a Mobius camera to his BiStormer and we all worked at trying to get into the shot behind him! Crazy, but fun.

And you know what? While there were a couple of casualties, none of them were due to mid-airs as far as I know - I minor miracle! Especially considering we actually even changed the circuit direction mid flight on the Saturday outing!

While the flying is great fun - it is of course mainly the people that make it. I met so many folks from on here and everyone was really great. Sadly I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to talk to everyone - hey, three weeks wouldn't have been enough time! - but it was great to meet you all. The conversation was, as always at Greenacres, that mixture of informative, entertaining and most all often very funny. I don't think I've laughed so much in one week end for long while! It perhaps says a lot about the chatting that going to bed was well after 1:00am both nights!

Can't finish without saying a great big thank you to the Reg and all the guys at Greenacres. The whole event, every aspect of it, was fantastically well organised, efficient and smooth running and all this is done in that low key relaxed style you all do so well and that promotes the informal friendly atmosphere we've all come to love! Thanks a lot lads we're all in your debt!

BEB

Great weekend of flying. Thank you for all at GreenacresMAC for all the hard workyes

Good to see all that said hello....shame about the non-Stampe meet. Maybe next year?

Big thanks to Ian for inviting to fly formation with him and his HP 42. Photos in a day or two.

Edited By cymaz on 22/06/2014 21:48:35