Bowman Spatman

Roy - there must be some link, as the familiar logo can be seen on the Bowman steam engines (lots of web pages to be found concerning those....) - but I couldn't find any info about how the name became attached to (what I had thought) was a cottage industry model aircraft kitter. I had been intending to draw a vector version of the logo (allows better scaling) - but you done such a nice job, I will nick that! Thanks...

Advert

Today we maiden. I took the undercarriage off just to be on the safe side for the first flight. Well what a sweetie, the only thing it needs is a bit more down thrust.

I can’t believe how powerful that little rudder is, ¼ inch each way was plenty for general ambling around on the first flight. Tried a stall and with the CofG at the forward position & the recommended rates, total non-event it just wallowed. I did wonder that the sharp leading edge might have a sharp stall. My motor setup is way more than ample & I spent most of the time with the throttle at or below 25% just ambling around. Even did a couple of loops & rolls for good measure.

We put the legs on the second flight & tried an ROG, unfortunately the wheels sunk in to moss up to the spats. So back to the hand launch.

satmanmaiden5.jpgsatmanmaiden6.jpg

satmanmaiden2.jpgsatmanmaiden3.jpg

Congratulations, very nice. I know what you mean about that rudder - I remember taking mine out after a very long layoff and was taken completely off guard, rolling it into the soft round immediately - "How the hell did I manage to fly this?"

The respray has commenced, and will hopefully not be too long now...

• 3 weeks later...

As I sit here drinking my morning tea watching the snow come down, I have a thought and a question.

Do any of you fine gents still have drawings for any over Bowman Kits?

I now have the Spatman the Sailman and a sunseeker in my collection. There is also an ultimate plan out there, but what else is there stashed away that needs to see the light of day again.

I kind of fancy building a mini skyman if I can find some plans, anyone got a set?

Posted by Roy Thompson on 05/01/2021 21:11:21:

Well as we are not going up the field any time soon, I've had the time to add the last embellishments.

spatengine.jpg

Told this before but still quite funny or tragic depending on your point of view. When electric models were not popular back in the 1980's one of our club members turned up with a new model with engine sticking out of the top . A few minutes later it took off silently ! Our club Secretary at the time was an avid engine collector ,especially diesels . When the model landed he ambled over to see what the dummy engine was . HORROR ! It was an Oliver Tiger that had been cut in half to make the dummy ! On top of that it was, before being chopped ,a really good example .

The mood at the club suddenly cooled that day and air Sec was not a happy man! laughsad.

Told this before but still quite funny or tragic depending on your point of view. When electric models were not popular back in the 1980's one of our club members turned up with a new model with engine sticking out of the top . A few minutes later it took off silently ! Our club Secretary at the time was an avid engine collector ,especially diesels . When the model landed he ambled over to see what the dummy engine was . HORROR ! It was an Oliver Tiger that had been cut in half to make the dummy ! On top of that it was, before being chopped ,a really good example .

The mood at the club suddenly cooled that day and air Sec was not a happy man! laughsad.

Good job then, my one is only plastic!laugh

Another Spatman ready to go, for when we are let off the leash... This is my renovated model from 1989, it being the second Spatman that I had. Somewhere, I still have the spats from the '82 model, and am trying to find them to add to this. Note authentic 2-stroke, none of this electric rubbish...laugh

Roll on Spring....

img_20210125_123745.jpg

img_20210125_123656.jpg

img_20210125_123616.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gent's how's this for an idea.?

When we get back to being able to go flying?, we should have a mass Spatman fly-off, socially distanced of course ?

I was thinking we all go to our respective flying sites on a given day, and at 11am? on that day we all fly our models.

Then If we all take a photo as proof ?, and we post them on here.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Somewhere in the he loft I should have templates and probably a miniskyman plan.

Been up in the loft quite recently looking for other stuff, but will look again as I want to make an other miniskyman again, 049 Cox or maybe 06 enya.

An 09 will be too powerfully/fast, been there done that, 09 Cox TD vertical climb was only limited by fuel. When it find templates/plane will get back to this spatman thread.

8 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Somewhere in the he loft I should have templates and probably a miniskyman plan.

Been up in the loft quite recently looking for other stuff, but will look again as I want to make an other miniskyman again, 049 Cox or maybe 06 enya.

An 09 will be too powerfully/fast, been there done that, 09 Cox TD vertical climb was only limited by fuel. When it find templates/plane will get back to this spatman thread.

Looking forward to seeing it, hope you can find it

Gentlemen, I have written an article from the context of our spatman thread, about forums, plan sharing & the model building community for the RCM&E, which should appear in the later part of the year.

It would be great to include some of your photos of finished models alongside.  If you would like to be involved & to see your Spatman in the Mag, please message me in the forum & attach a copy of them there. The pictures need to be well focussed and over 1MB to use in print, include some details about yours as well.  No immediate rush, but the sooner I have them then the sooner I can forward them on.

Hopefully after Monday we may get an idea when we can return to flying, fingers crossed. ?

• Like 1