BEB's Dawn Flyer Build

Advert

Posted by Phil Winks on 23/02/2014 21:40:57:

Brrrrrrilllllliant Dave absolutely brilliant, something new to put in my arsenal of finishing methods, now where's the number of my friendly local print shop cheeky

re. lithoplate

BEB did say:-

"Seriously if you know a printer he can get you loads of this - once its been used they just throw it away!"

Which means that I managed to get a load from a local scrappy.

Plummet

Thanks again lads!

Well my covering arrived - but then I was really busy at work sad so haven't had a chance until tonight to get back to it all. Anyway, job done,...

df237.jpg

I must admit I love Solartex - always goes on easily, a pleasure to use.

Well, you've got to haven't you?.....

df238.jpg

So, just the ailerons to fit, the cockpit to sort out, with the windscreen, fit the rigging and we're there,...waiting for the weather!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/02/2014 23:12:12

Hi,

well not much done last weekend. Saturday the sun shone and I had my first full day's flying this year! I'd had a couple of "outings" - but this was the full-on job, get to field early, flask and butties in hand. Smashing.

Sunday was family stuff. But delays over - on with the job!

Tonight I've hinged the ailerons and made-up/fitted the control links for them, done just the same as the elevator and rudder...

df239.jpg

Next up I made the rigging mast,....

df240.jpg

The plan says 6mm dowel - I only had some 5mm to hand, I'm sure it will be fine. The base is just an off cut of balsa - fairly hard - from the scrap box, a 5mm hole drilled in it and then sanded up. The hole drilled through is 2mm diameter and is for the hat elastic rigging wire to pass through.

Now is the time for a fairly stressful job - we have to take a scalpel to the upper decking and cut out the cockpit. Obviously it goes without saying that this is job to proceed with caution - measure three times and cut once!...

df241.jpg

We now glue in a 1mm ply plate - aligning it carefully with the wing bolt hole - to help prevent crushing the top central wing sheeting when we tighten up the bolt,...

df242.jpg

You can see the 1/32" veneer I had to put on top of the sheeting there!

Well we can't leave that big hole just bare wood - and I'm certainly not doing a full scale "magnificient men" cockpit - whatever VA says! So the easiest way is to lose all the detail in there and turn it into a "black hole" with a coat of matt black acryllic paint,...

df243.jpg

Note that I haven't painted or stained the edges of the cockpit combing - I have a little idea for that, and before you ask - no it doesn't involve litho plate!

Finally for tonight, having previously put one coat of stain on the base, I glued the rigging mast in place,...

df244.jpg

Obviously that will need staining.

Well not much to do now. As you can see Jean-Claude is getting ready to climb aboard, I need to fit the rigging and set the throws. I'm considering a protective coat of clear PU varnish over the woodwork to protect it a bit. I need to do a power check with the watt meter. And that's about it really - looks like I'll have it ready for a maiden at the weekend, if the weather is kind. Fingers crossed!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/03/2014 08:20:25

Hi BEB

Looks great I am a few steps behind you with my DF and Balsa bashing nearly finished. Can I ask about access to the wing bolt? Does Jean-Claude have to get in and out each time to allow access to the bolt? If so how is he secured in the meantime?

Brian

Very good work and lots of good information BEB, I'm sure this will help a lot of people out. I think I will have to stop watching now though because I've nailed my colours to the mast with Mini Jazz so can't now change course to DF. On the other hand, nothing to stop me backing more than one.............. oh no, can't do any more models!

Posted by Masher on 05/03/2014 10:47:06:

Very good work and lots of good information BEB, I'm sure this will help a lot of people out. I think I will have to stop watching now though because I've nailed my colours to the mast with Mini Jazz so can't now change course to DF. On the other hand, nothing to stop me backing more than one.............. oh no, can't do any more models!

Do em all............you know you want to!!!!!

David

Thanks masher - I'm sure that you will enjoy building the Mini Jazz its a smashing little model - as they all are this year.

OK well its been quiet because I've been sorting out the telemetry for the DF - all done now. We have announcements on engine arming and disarming and we have announcements at 2/3rds and 3/4 battery usage. So that should be interesting to test.

On the building side I've fixed in Jean-Claude and given all the woodwork a coat of clear PU gloss varnish. Its very shiny now!

df248.jpg

The cockpit edging is made from some black heat shrink tube, slit down one side and then glued in place.

As you can also see the upper wing rigging is done. This is from black "hat elastic". We start by making 8 small brass brackets from 0,5mm sheet,...

df245.jpg

These are made with one hole nearer the end than the other. A slight bend is then put into them at the centre and they are screwed to the hardpoints we inserted when building the wing,...

df246.jpg

Small hooks (available from model boat shops) are then fitted to the ends of the elastic by threading it through he loop in the hook and applying a whipping with black thread. The whipping is secured with a generous drop of CA. Overall it looks like this,...

df247.jpg

And here it is on the model,...

df249.jpg

And,...

df250.jpg

I still have to do the rigging below the wing. But the model could be maidened before this is done if necessary, it all depends on a decent weather window now.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/03/2014 00:27:35

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/03/2014 00:26:23:

But the model could be maidened before this is done if necessary, it all depends on a decent weather window now.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/03/2014 00:27:35

that weather window has opened here in Somerset so of flying this afternoon, the BS63 will have to wait lol.

Thats now a cracking looking model dave, love the idea for the cockpit coaming, looks like I will be revisiting mine with some heat shrink tube yes