bottled it on the build

Darlo0161

Hi All

I wanted to take part in the mass build with the Tinker but I've realised that Its way beyond my skill level and the lack of proper wood pack has now put me off.

I'm a beginner with a foamie so I want to build a model over the 1kg limit for my "A" (if I get there).

I like the look of the Jazz but is that really suitable for a beginner flyer ? and will the weight once ive added a motor and battery put me at 1kg ?

If not I think i may just find a pack for a trainer and build away from the mass build.

Any help, advise gratefully recieved.

Advert

Have you considered the Tyro, Mini-Tyro or Tyro Major options Darlo? These are high wing monoplane trainers which are easy to build and one of the models chosen for Greenacres 2014. Plan Packs are available from DB Sport and Scale for the two larger models. The Tinker is only a biplane version of the Tyro.

If you are a member of a club I feel sure that there will be experienced builders in your club who will be willing to help you.

If you are more specific about what process is beyond your skill level then perhaps someone here will give some advice.
Usual things considered difficult are transferring shapes onto wood, lack of tools, cutting ply formers or bending piano wire. If its one of these then we can offer advice.

Consider the Tyro Major plan & pre cut ribs, or the DB Mascot kit. The Mini Tyro would be less than 1 kilo and anyway more difficult to use for A certificate.
If you want something designed for electric then the SLEC Electric FunFly might suit although it's not a trainer.

Building may appear a Black art to the new comer, but really it isn't, its all about have the right tools, techniques and practice.

If you start with something simple and work your way up the ladder on each model you build, it won't be long before you are writing your own build blogs showing us how its done!

As a new (ish) flyer, high wing with dihedral is the way to go, a simple box fuz with a simple built up wing would be ideal as a first build and some of the above suggested models are great proven models.

There are plenty of people here to help, so any questions, just fire away, remember, we all started somewhere.

Back in the 80s and still very relevant today I think, would be good old chriss Foss and the Wot 4 kits.The only daunting thing for a complete newbie would be the glass bandage on the wings and I always hated the Elevator hinges, but these days fuzzy hinges will solve that one. The Wot 4 or Acrowot Every time for a first build.

Hope that helps

Thanks Everyone

I feel confident with woodworking its the level of complication of a massive 3d jigsaw puzzle. after seeing some of the images for the Tinker which I was going to do I realise I need to start with less complication.

My brain says a high wing trainer, thanks for all the suggestions by the way.

I do love some of the sportier models though so i'm going to have to reign myself in.

I think I will have a mooch around, i'd like to order a kit with everything included.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks all

Listen to all our advice, then buy what you fancy wink.

If you reach a task/operation that takes you out of your comfort zone, pop in here and ask the question! We'll help you out, you know that.

Strangely enough when I was building lots everything was foam wing, now it's all gone back to built up wings... I prefer foam it's easier!

Enjoy your building I know I did (mainly ARTF now).

Shaunie.

Hi Darlo,

the current crop of Mass Build models I think fail your 1Kg/Trainer requirement.

The Pushy Cat though relatively easy to fly is no trainer. Neither is the Mini Jazz. The Mini Tyro is a trainer - but falls well below your 1Kg minimum weight. I don't think that the Dawn Flyer would be a good trainer - again unlikely to be difficult to fly - but narrow U/C spells fun in the ground handling department! And its got very little dihedral so its lateral stability won't be high.

Now that leaves us with the Barnstormer. Now that could be flown as a trainer - and I know that Phil Winks is building one and he writes excellent build blogs. Tony Bennett has also blogged building one and others are on the way. So you would have a lot of example builds to follow and there are lots of folks who would be happy to advise and help you. So that's something to think about.

The Diversion you link to looks a good model - I've never seen one in the flesh so can't be definite. But it looks OK. Definitely a trainer and looks like it has a nice simple slab-sided fuselage etc.

Another possibility would be the Tyro Major - big brother of the Mini Tyro. Again a definite trainer and the Mini Tyro build blogs of the likes of Chris Bott would give you a good guide - its basically the same only bigger!

Whatever you choose please do stick with the idea of building it. If you have the time to build it really is very rewarding to fly a model you built from the "planks of wood" upward! And remember - you're not alone - we're here to help and advise!

BEB

Two suggestions Darlo,

As BEB and kc have suggested Tyro Major was designed as a trainer. I built one last year and it's not difficult. You can buy a set of wing ribs from DB Sport & Scale and the plan comes with building instructions from the time when it was sold as a kit. You'll also get a materials list with it.

I think you'll find that once you make a start, you'll not find it quite so daunting as you first think and there'll be lots of help available to you on this forum. Everyone will want you to succeed.

If you go down the kit road, have a look at another David Doddington design from DB S&S, the Mascot. Again designed as a trainer. LINK

Edited By Colin Ashman on 14/01/2014 09:08:27

Posted by Darlo0161 on 13/01/2014 22:03:12:

Found this, what do you guys think ?

A box frame and available as kit.

it says "advanced trainer" would I be able to pick it up ? I've only flown a couple of times because my foamie is too light.

**LINK**

That looks good and seems to fit your bill; go for it. yes I think "advanced trainer" simply means that it has ailerons.

I like the Seagull.

I'm tempted to go for that, buy the electonics and powerpant and join the club that I want to join.

I figure the heavier plane will mean I don't get "wind-ed off" and can actually start to learn properley.

I can then really take my time with a build and not worry about timescales for learning too much....I just need a way to hide all the expense from my wife.