Why do people expect a discount when they collect a model I'm selling!

sharpy1071

Why is that lately every time I try to sell something on whatever site, this site, BMFA, Gumtree people expect me to give them a discount because they have to come a fair distance? If you buy from a retailer, 200 miles away these people never ask then. It is tough that something you want is 200 miles away the seller cannot be responsible for geographic location of the buyer. If this is taken to its logical end the buyer lives 1000 miles away you send it to them free of charge! I will drive a certain distance for something i want if it is further away I just do not have it, I would not consider asking for petrol/diesel money just to pick up something I want. I would on the other hand negotiate a price I think would be fair, for the condition , age etc of the article, but that is down to the seller to accept. Without being rude how do you tell these people geographic location does not come into the equation?

Thats good i got it of my chest!!!

Advert

I've never yet had that problem on ebay or wherever, but not to say it will never happen.

We bought our mahogany table and chair set from ebay, perfect condition, and when we factored in van hire, petrol and the drive from Kent to Leicester we were still quids in.

But I have got some stupid "offers"... I sold a wood lathe, new it would be £160, starting price £70... I had two offers to take it off my hands for £50! It went the distance and sold for £120.

I sold my old Pupeteer, with scale le Prier rockets on it. It looked the business. A week later the buyer contacted me and said "What are those stick things on the wings?" Infuriating.

I have had this asked of me as well and think some people just live on a different planet. I had a new Laser 100 which I had to sell.

I had paid around £229.00 for it and put it up for £150.00, I had a few people offer £100.00 for it but I held the price then one such person asked if I would take £140.00 so I agreed. On the day we'd agreed to meet I had a text telling me it would cost him £30.00 in petrol to collect it and could I post it to him instead. I replied to him asking how he would pay me the £140.00 and the extra £15.00 for the postage.

Well of course you know where this is going, he asked could I cover the cost of posting it as if he came to collect it would cost him petrol money. At this point I decided to just to ignore his texts.

Some days later I had received another text asking if he could collect it and asked if I would take £110.00 for it. I gave up at this point

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 20/03/2014 22:22:02

We seem to live in age where haggling is becoming more common place.

When you have folks like Martin (Money Saving Expert) Lewis advocating haggling in High Street stores then it's going to percolate down through all levels of retails and selling.

Personally I wouldn't haggle about delivery on an eBay, classified ad type of a purchase. I'd make the determination as to how far I was willing to travel as part of deciding how much to bid for an item.

But clearly a lot of people have the confidence/cheek to ask away ... I do think it's bad form to actually turn up and haggle or drop it in the conversation after winning an auction.

But then I've heard that some people will even do that on a house purchase ... haggling for £1,000's even as the removal vans are being loaded.  

Edited By avtur on 20/03/2014 23:58:55

Posted by Stevo on 20/03/2014 20:04:47:

I sold my old Pupeteer, with scale le Prier rockets on it. It looked the business. A week later the buyer contacted me and said "What are those stick things on the wings?" Infuriating.

Dowels devildevilcoolcheekykisskiss

You just knew that was coming, Apologies for off topic chaps.

Edited By fly-navy on 21/03/2014 00:32:47

I think there's a very big difference between negotiating a price and trying it on after making an agreement. I suspect that many people add a little to their asking price to cover this aspect - so not making a reasonable offer could be rather stupid!

As for asking for a reduction because of distance - ridiculous!

Or is it? Perhaps not if the overall cost doesn't make sense and you make an offer to a seller based on what the overall package would cost you. At the negotiation stage is it so wrong to make an offer to a seller? They certainly don't have to accept it.

But I would have nothing but contempt for anyone arriving on a doorstep and trying to blackmail the seller into reducing the price for any reason. Personally, I'd have great pleasure in inviting them to return to their far distant place of origin empty handed!

I dont think theres anything wrong with haggling , people do it all the time at bootsales , ect , in other countries you are expected to haggle , look at wheeler dealer , it can be fun for both parties , at the end of the day the seller has a price he wont go below , and the buyer has a price he wont go above , theres always a happy middle ground after a bit of haggling

not a model sold, but i worked in a garage. one saturday i was left on my own to meet a punter who wanted an old e type jag we had for sale. the boss had told him £800. the punter got to the garage at 08 30 coming from hull to bognor regis with wife and two kids. he looked at the jag and offered£400, i laughed and said on yer bike, he left for an hour and came back with £500 no dealangry. i sold him the car at 4 30 pm for £800. what he called me in front of his kids is not allowed on this forumsurprise

I have not had any of the problems mentioned here. In Aden haggling was the done thing and the shop keepers would get upset if you didn't haggle but that was Aden and fun.

Any one buying something from me and then arriving and wanting money knocked off for the distance that the had travelled would get a very short sharp answer. They would then be given one chance to pay the agreed price and if they still argued they would go home empty handed.

Sorry slightly off topic but at least some buyers turn up. I sold a plane on ebay and clearly stated several times buyer collects, will not post, live in Cornwall etc etc..

Bloke bought it from London. Then has the cheek to email and say "Oh, I didn't know you lived that far away". Idiot.

He arranged his own collectiongift

Edited By cymaz on 21/03/2014 10:54:21

I sold three chimney pots on eBay. Chap came down and started haggling, saying a crack was bigger than expected and was that one really 40cm wide etc. I refused saying he had agreed a prices based upon the pictures and he was just being cheeky.

A bit more umming and aaarghing later, and a couple more attempts at haggling, he paid me, pulling out a very large wad of notes, to give me the paltry £40 we agreed on eBay. There must have been £1000 in his hand!

Of course, if they are coming to collect then you have to wait in for them. This means that you cannot be doing something else instead, so you are wasting your own time.

So if they want a discount for picking up, you decide, in return, to charge them waiting time. nerd

Plummet

Thank you everyone who answered my original question I feel better now! Got it of my chest. As you say negotiate on a price of what's for sale according to condition etc, but delivery/pickup is down to the buyer to provide. Haggling is part of everyday life now, I accept that as fair game (couldn't do it once upon a time!) I have just updated two ads I had elsewhere and have put 'If you live a fair distance from Bournemouth don't ask for help with Petrol/diesel costs', we'll see if that does the trick!!

Brian

Posted by sharpy1071 on 21/03/2014 14:57:45:

I have just updated two ads I had elsewhere and have put 'If you live a fair distance from Bournemouth don't ask for help with Petrol/diesel costs', we'll see if that does the trick!!

Brian

I hope you chuck in a free nights B&B by the sea thoughdevil