What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

It's been a busy day here today; first of all, there were 4 what I believe to be T6A II turboprop planes in dark blue coulours with a US star on the wings; a bit later, Mark Jefferies and his Global Stars practicing their routines. After that, the Red Arrows flew right over us during the display at Old Warden (we were closer than any of the crowd at Old Warden would have been!). Finally, a radial engined aircraft that I couldn't immediately identify was doing circuits around our village, it may have been a T28.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What the heck was that??? About 5 mins ago, something low, loud and fast flew over. I neither caught a glimpse of whatever it/they was/were nor even worked out what direction it/they were travelling...

Any one else see/hear it? I'm in is in NE Surrey, Epsom-ish area. Could be associated with the show at Biggin or the Queens birthday stuff I guess.

Seen a few things connected with the QE2 celebrations this week including a very Viscount sounding Atlas. The heli's have also been practising hard. A couple of intriguing 4 engined a/c (C141?) lazily flying, in quite tight formation, toward the East (Mildenhall?) this afternoon and returning 2/3 hours later heading West.. Could be the RAF on thier regular circuit from Brize out into East Anglia I suppose.

Yesterday prior to the heavy rain we had the two Brietling bi-planes fly over, and then after the heavy rain the Red Arrows were obviously 'at it' at Biggin Hill. We had three Hawks fly over followed by four Hawks and then a single Hawk at very low level buzzing over the Ash trees in Sanderstead Plantation woods. Great!

• 4 weeks later...

A few days ago I heard a swarm of angry bees approaching and went outside to see a light aircraft with a long canard nose and two pusher engines. Looked a bit like a I Fly EZ (below) but in a twin configuration. Anyone else seen it in the NE Essex area? I think there maybe something similar at Earls Colne airfield.

• 2 weeks later...

At nearly 11.00 PM tonight I was feeding a badger in my garden and then spotted a drone buzzing around the sky. The drone showed up as a bright red light with other flashing lights and stayed for several minutes. I am not sure the red dot is evident in the photograph below, but badger certainly is in the other photo? The eye reflections in the badger photograph are from a Vixen (Not a Sea Vixen !)

p7060284.jpg

p7140302.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 14/07/2016 23:58:55

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 14/07/2016 23:59:43

A Spit and a Dehavaland Dove do the rounds on a regular basis.

I see Spits that often now I don't bother going ouside to see them anymore.

We sometimes get a fighter Jet going south, quite low and fast,

I reacon the pilot is stealing them as we don't see him doing a return trip.

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 16/07/2016 21:34:53:

Spotted a DHC Dash 7 painted all in red over the house this morning at 10:30; did a bit of digging and it seems it belongs to the British Antartic Survey.

Saw this very aircraft take off from Duxford a bit after 10:00am

I live about 10 miles from Farnborough, and yesterday evening saw the following departing over my garden: WW1 formation, including 2 Fokker DR1s and a Sopwith Triplane, Spitfire (Mk9 I think), and for the first time a B17G, presumably Sally B. During the preceding 2 weeks I've also seen a P40 and Catalina, as well as other aircraft too far for a positive ID. Brilliant!

Quite a few less usual planes around the B H area yesterday. Apart from the usual Spitfire (Boring) a rare and exciting spot of a Hurricane, then later a Texan, and a couple of older civils that were a little too distant to identify. I assume show season generated.

Trevor - not quite "over my house" but last month a P40 did a fast pass followed by a landing just after the model flying finished at the Wings and Wheels show.

p40fastpass.jpg

p40landing.jpg

It's usually worth hanging around for a few minutes at North Weald after DB has turned mic off as there is often something interesting waiting to land once the main runway re-opens.

John, that's the P40 I saw - as it was circling I had time to get some binoculars for a good study. I knew it was based at North Weald as I recently assembled the Durafly kit and researched where the supplied "Skull" scheme came from. I saw in the latest Aeroplane Monthly that the full-size is currently for sale - yours for just under 2 million dollars!

Posted by Gavin Livsey on 21/07/2016 16:03:50:
Posted by Peter Miller on 21/07/2016 13:42:56:

Just had a formation of 10 turboprop trainers fly past. Tucanos? They were flying roughly North towards MIldenhall.

Peter, it was the Swiss PC-9 team. They fuel stopped at Cambridge, then heading north.

THanks for that. I am about 30 miles west of Cambridge. They were sideways on to me and I had not got my binoculars. really must grab them every time.