Futaba 35MHz fp-r7h receivers?

JACK

Hi all,been trying to find an fp-r7h rx as used to be supplied with the old fg gold sets....l know they havent been in production for ages,but l would have thought there would be a few of them around still,anyone one have any ideas as to where l can get one or more??,am l right in thinking that any 35 mhz rx will work off my fp-7fg gold transmitter??

thanks for the help guys,l have fond memories of many years ago and my original gold series gear,bit of a nostalgia trip really!!,l am not sure l understand "single and dual conversion",likewise l don't know what type my gold series is,would l be right in thinking that as its "a.m" it is a single conversion set??

Jack, it won't be AM. All Futaba 35 meg was FM.
Single & dual convert only applies to the Rxs, either type work with the same Tx. The Rx needs to have the specific dual or single convert crystal but the Tx only needs any 35 meg Futaba Tx crystal.

Mike - you are using a Futaba dual-conversion crystal in the rx, aren't you?

EDIT - Looks like you updated your post as I was typing!

2nd EDIT - You say TWO dual-conversion xtals...  Why two?  The dual-conversion xtal goes in the rx,  the tx uses a standard tx xtal.

Edited By John Privett on 17/06/2014 22:42:44

Yes I have tried two '78'dual conversion receiver crystals (orange tabs) in the receiver so that I can eliminate the crystal as the problem. As you say the transmitter crystal is standard. I transmit on '78' on both my transmitters. I have no problems with three spare single conversion receivers bought from the same dealer.

I am fairly sure both 78 dual conversion crystals are Futaba make but there is nothing marked on them to confirm. They are type 35-10.

The dual conversion receiver in question is a Futaba type FR-R138DF

My transmitters are Futaba T6EAX and T7CP, the latter can function on PPM or PCM modulation.

All servos in the test are Futaba and are located in the 'Super Air' I am repairing.

All sounds right, Mike! Dual conversion rx xtals had the orange tab. I've got a 78 single-conversion xtal in front of me and that's a "Type 35-12". A quick google confirms that D/C are indeed marked "Type 35-10".

I'm fairly sure in the past I've used a 138DF rx (with D/C xtal) with Futaba T7CP as well as FF66 and FF8 txs. I've definitely used a 138DP - there's one on the bench behind me!

78 used to be 'my' frequency until the sub-60 channels became available. I then switched to 58 to escape the others on 78! (You may have been one of them... wink 2 - I believe you've flown on the Downs at some time in the past.)

Mike, have you tried the suspect Rx with your other Tx ? Not just the module from it but the whole Tx.
I had a strange problem with a Jr synth Rx that had been bound to my Mpx synth TX but would not work with a FF8 on the same frequency. However the Rx was fine with an old type FF7. Swapping RF modules & Xtls between the Txs made no difference - the mismatch was always with the FF9. IIRC it worked with all 3 Txs when I re-bound the Rx to the FF9.

Receiver now returned to seller having tried both transmitters Patmac.

John

I flew free flight planes on Epsom Downs from the late 1950's on and off till the early 1970's. I did fly my Junior 60 on 27mhz on the Downs but very rarely. The only plane I have flown on '78' on the Downs is my Twinstar 2. Unfortunately I have let my membership of EDC lapse over the last few years and was only a member for a couple of years.

• 2 years later...

Just returned to the hobby and have got hold of a couple of Futaba T6EXA transmitters with a buddy cable to use on the planes. I have a bunch of dual conversion channel 58 RX crystals but having difficulty in finding a 58 TX to match them.

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about the TX crystal being dual conversion or have I misread the previous posts regarding this.

Anybody got an old 58 TX crystal they don't need and would like to rehome?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm testing out the radio at the moment, it seems to be working with a single conversion receiver with single xtal, is that likely to compromise things like the DR and expo settings? Will I possibly lose range doing this? I will of course set it all up and do a range check on the ground before doing anything else.

I'm a little concerned as all the info I've found on the net refers to the fp-r7h being an AM receiver (they are all US sites though) but as this equipment was current during the years I was away from the hobby there may have been FM versions in this country? When I left we were still using 27 MHz AM equipment and blaming CBers for every crash!

pup ready for the off.jpg

Just finished converting Alberts plane from a nasty old MDS 2 stroke to a lovely OS Alpha 56 four stroke, just went in under the cowl without any bashing required!

engine in.jpg

engine with cowl.jpg

Edited By Paul james 8 on 18/03/2017 19:03:20

Edited By Paul james 8 on 18/03/2017 19:04:11

Edited By Paul james 8 on 18/03/2017 19:08:37

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/03/2017 18:56:27:

I'm a little concerned as all the info I've found on the net refers to the fp-r7h being an AM receiver (they are all US sites though) but as this equipment was current during the years I was away from the hobby there may have been FM versions in this country? When I left we were still using 27 MHz AM equipment and blaming CBers for every crash!

I think you may be referring back to the older posts Martin? I've sort of resurrected it to see if I can get some info on my current setup. Probably end up going over to 2.4ghz if I can't sort the old 35mhz stuff out. It would be a pity as I have all the bits apart from the crystals.

Paul. No you won't compromise anything using a single conversion receiver. Most but by no means all ppm receivers are compatable with other transmitters Futaba transmitters work equally well with dual conversion or single conversion receivers. The transmitter needs the same crystal for either . There is no advantage on our 35 frequencies in using a dual conversion receiver over a single conversion both have equal range and equal selectivity and equal interference rejection. The pair of crystals do not need to be of the same manufacturer but must be the correct make for the equipment they are plugged into i.e. If you are using a JR receiver with a Futaba transmitter the transmitter must have a Futaba crystal and the RX needs a JR crystal. Beware of Sanwa they were all over the place with crystals . P C M is a whole new ball game and required the correct specific receiver not only for make but also for different protocols within the same make I believe Futaba used at least 3 different systems and JR two.

With regards Futaba they were pretty standard in their crystals i.e. a 35 MHz tx crystal fits all Futaba transmitters and the receive crystals were simply a choice between single and double conversions also Futaba receive crystals were the standard for some other non mainstream receivers but of course you need to know which ones. And finally range test every time you go flying

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/06/2014 22:35:13:

Today I got a second hand e-bay 35 mhz Futaba dual conversion receiver in the post. I cannot get it to work with the two Futaba transmitters I have on either PCM or PPM modulation and using two dual conversion crystals.---oh dear!

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/06/2014 22:37:01

You don't say which Rx it is but the Titans dual conversion RX's had a habit of blowing a component when switched on with freshly charged battery. A friend of mine ,now sadly passed  a away repaired them very cheaply  a so you might be lucky if you know any electronic boffins.The symptoms are all servos glitch when you switch on but no response from you TX . As suggested better to get new Rx and put eBay item down to experience.