Have a Rant

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

BEB Rate payers money could be involved, as Bournmouth, East Midlands, Manchester, Stanstead airports are all owned by Manchester and district rate payers.

Although i guess what really riles people is that some vocal groups are accommodated, many other large sections of the communities views are often seen as irrelevant, or told they are bigoted, racists, sexist, and so on, if not on message of the views of the supporters, of what ever.

As many things these days, likely to cause offence to some, then again belong to the wrong group, well it does not matterangel 2

What bugs me really is the complete one-sidedness of 'toleration' Does anyone else recall the Turkish tourist board advert some time back which had Muslim religious dancers (Dervishes) dancing across the icon of Christ Pantokrator from Hagia Sofia?

Of course not one peep was heard from those who bend over backwards to accommodate (like renaming Christmas to 'Winterval' and so on)

Posted by john stones 1 on 31/01/2015 17:58:39:

Why would you not cater for different cultures at a major international airport ?

John

Turn it around.........Why would you? That's the whole problem with this country, we're too obliging and what do we get for our troubles? Dare I suggest trouble?

My advice is, when in Rome............

BTW John, the title of the thread is "So what gives you the hump", and makes no reference to it being purely modelling related. Sorry if my rant doesn't sit easy with some folks and I won't post any more on this subject.

Edited By Bill_B on 31/01/2015 18:36:35

I do think that this round of latest posts have confirmed, something I have suspected for some time.

That is the most intolerant are those who believe that they are tolerant and open minded, when confronted with a position that does not conform to their idea of being tolerant.

So I am very pleased that we have moved on to my intolerance, That is the M60 road works and partial lane closures, complete with miles of average speed cameras. Why, well for reasons of safety. That is other than putting out cones and the cameras, no one is ever seen to work, at all. Even at night, I have never seen anybody. It is now coming towards a year of restrictions, where the carriageways and immediate verges have not been worked upon.

The suspicion now is, it is all about raising revenues, from the temporary and the coming permanent variable speed cameras.

There is one real irony, there have been a number of serious accidents, in my opinion, as bunching is now a constant issue, as all the traffic agglomerates, due to similar speeds, the clumps never disperse as everyone is trapped in an identical speed group.

Now I think of all the tax payers money wasted, on making money, by persecuting us motorists. Eh!

There we go!

Edited By Erfolg on 31/01/2015 20:46:17

I have second rant, recently (last week) I had a labour canvasser, turn up on my door step. He busily was telling me that high earners should pay more tax, that banks owed society and so on.

I responded by, are banks whipping boys, as I understand that most have paid back all that was owed, plus paid for a government bond to cover what they had borrowed at a commercial rate of 10%.? That may be so, but the damage they did to society and so on. Not your party though,I suggested. No, the economy was recovering under us.

I then responded to the tax issue. How broad are the shoulders of the rich, as they seem to be going to pay for everything. I said how about you paying more tax. If you were to pay more tax, i may consider that even I, as pensioner. should pay more. But not until you do.

For some reason he was most affronted by this. His parting shot was rich pensioners should pay more, as they have been let off and I guess we cannot count on your vote.

It did make think, it seems all right to increase tax, as long it is some one else who is paying it and the government of the day are only responsible for those things that go well.

Posted by Erfolg on 31/01/2015 17:52:56:

BEB Rate payers money could be involved, as Bournmouth, East Midlands, Manchester, Stanstead airports are all owned by Manchester and district rate payers.

Well that's sort of true, but its only half the story .... the airports mentioned are all owned by MAG (Manchester Airport Group), the shareholders of MAG are the ten councils which comprise Greater Manchester. So in a very limited way that is tax payer ownership, not general tax, but local council tax. 

However, far from being a 'cost' to the shareholders the operation of MAG is highly profitable and provides a positive cash benefit to all the council shareholders; and for all the years I can remember always has done.

I live in the Stockport area (Stockport being one of the ten councils comprising Greater Manchester (for the information of those who live 'darn sarf'!)) therefore I benefit from the dividend paid from MAG to Stockport council.

The choice of bathroom equipment in any of the MAG airports has not cost me a penny; also to follow up the wider point BEB is correct there is no government/tax payer money involved in the provision of bathroom equipment at any UK airport, there is no government ownership of commercial airports.

Edited By avtur on 31/01/2015 23:55:38

Different rant ...

A motorist, who had filled up at a typical self serve forecourt, then opened his bonnet to check his oil. This resulted in a frantic exchange with a member of staff telling him that he was not allowed to open the bonnet in the vicinity of the pumps, it was deemed to be 'not safe'.

Apparently, for health and safety reasons, opening the bonnet could allow a concentration of fuel vapours to escape ... which of course is absolute twaddle ... another situation quite wrongly blamed on H&S

Edited By avtur on 31/01/2015 23:56:47

Posted by Phil Green on 31/01/2015 23:26:20:
Posted by Phil Green on 31/01/2015 13:01:49:

PCs that blue-screen an hour after you slated Windows 8 on here...

an un-rant for a change! Windows 'restore points' fixing blue-screens! Wahoo we're back in the race...

Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when you open windows :P

Posted by Bill_B on 31/01/2015 16:43:42:

"So what gives you the hump ?"

I'll tell you what, seeing a 'Multi Faith' corner in the toilets at a major UK international airport, that's what. These have no doubt been installed at great cost to the tax payer, but it seems that the people who will benefit from these are quite able and happy to use the standard toilet facilities on the aeroplane which might well be airborne for 12 hours, or more, depending on where they're flying to. The money could be better spent in many other ways.

BTW, just what does 'Multi Faith' mean exactly?

Edited By Bill_B on 31/01/2015 16:44:17

I have been trying to work out why "multi Faith" toilets are needed.

Do different faiths have different bodily arrangments? and if they do, when one converts to another faith do they have to have surgery?

Well that's interesting - I'm over 60 and in my younger days went all over the world in the Merchant Navy but I don't know what a Multi-Faith toilet is - I always thought there were only 2 types - sit-on and squat - and as far as I know everybody regardless of faith, ethnicity or gender has their waste disposal equipment parts in the same general area of their body so would somebody enlighten me before I really FLY INTO A SCREAMING RANTdevil