Free simulators?

David Ashby - Moderator

Our club has a good number of junior learners at the moment, they're doing well but using a sim between flying sessions wouldn't do them any harm either.

Trouble is, their means are limited and the dad's are still recovering after the initial trainer and radio purchases so I wondered if there are any half-decent free or inexpensive sims they could download for use with their DX5s and DX6s? Nothing fancy is required just a simple sim with reasonable feel that they can fly a simple model with to help between flying sessions.

Suggestions would be welcome.

David,

I use Clearview which is free to download : **LINK**

There are lots of models, both fixed wing and rotary, as well as scenery but you can download more models and scenery too to increase the choice, all for free. There is also a small but dedicated fan base who create more models. Details you can get from their forums.

Posted by John F on 30/09/2014 10:38:53:

David,

I use Clearview which is free to download : **LINK**

There are lots of models, both fixed wing and rotary, as well as scenery but you can download more models and scenery too to increase the choice, all for free. There is also a small but dedicated fan base who create more models. Details you can get from their forums.

Is it free? There appears to be an activation fee of $39.99 ... is there a free version as well?

To my knowledge Clearview has never been free. (and I have had it for eight years).

The Granddaddy of free Flying Simulators is Flying Model Simulator, or FMS.

Not having used it beyond XP Pro, I have no idea if it is onwards compatible. And its not plug n play!

My now 10 year old grandson uses it with a USB Tx. He started at seven.

There was a massive user base and a large number of people producing freeware planes (including me).

• 9 months later...

I run an old copy of RC Planemaster on W8.1 ............. I think this is how I did it.....

Copy the CD to your hard drive and install from there

Drop an icon on your desktop (the 'traditional' looking one, not the tiled one) then change the properties to run in Compatability Mode (XP I think).

GG

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 27/07/2015 07:57:13:

I run an old copy of RC Planemaster on W8.1 ............. I think this is how I did it.....

Copy the CD to your hard drive and install from there

Drop an icon on your desktop (the 'traditional' looking one, not the tiled one) then change the properties to run in Compatability Mode (XP I think).

GG

I managed to download an installer for W7 from the Realitycraft website & this allowed me to install Planemaster onto the W8 laptop... LINK

Followed your link Bob and on to the downloads page but I don't see anything for Win 7. Any chance of another link directly to the version you are refering to? A Win 7 version just might work with Win8 or better still 10.

There maybe a fix for FMS Beta 7 (Windows 9x/ME/2000) to work with Vista/Win7 (perhaps others?) here though I have also heard of problems if the computer does not have any serial ports.

Ian

• 1 year later...