Looking for a new starter.

Chris Barlow

After nearly 18 years use in cars & planes I suspect my old Ripmax starter is not up to the job anymore and am looking for a new one.

I'm looking to spend approximately £80 one a decent new one suitable for starting engines from a .25 2 stroke to currently a .91 4 stroke (and possibly a little bigger in the future)

Any recommendations, prices & advice on where to but would be greatly appreciated. I will be going to Weston this weekend so could pick one up from one of the trade stalls there.

Thanks smiley

Advert

Thanks for the replies guys!

The Align starter looks nice and just the right price! Does it come with a cone adapter or is that extra? (also not in stock at the moment!)

I also like the Dynatron on JE but compared to the Align cordless option is cumbersome and more pennies, although what has prompted me to buy a new one was using my mates old Dynatron at the weekend!

I had thought of getting a geared starter to convert to cordless but the unknown is still which is a quality starter that'll last as long as my old Ripmax one. Have heard a few tales of good starters only lasting a few years!

Just Engines Geared starter is also my pick at under £40. Looks cheap and nasty and sounds even worse but absolutely up to the job as it can turn over my 35cc and 60cc petrol engines with ease. Had it for 18 months or so and absolutely fine. Furthermore, it is designed to also take 24volts for the really big engines as well as the usual 12 volts.

I have two, a geared 3.8:1 with 4s 2.6 Ah lipo and a ripmax one with a 4s 5Ah lipo, the geared one starts everything up to a 160 fx glo but failed on a ST 3000 as it just had a prop nut and no spinner. I haven't used the ripmax one yet but I suspect it'll be every bit as good as the geared one.

I think I bought the geared one from Als Hobbies when they were on offer for under £20 and I was given the ripmax one.

Originally I had a couple of 6 pack 2.6 Ah nimh but they were drained after a morning's flying whereas the similarly sized lipos take about 500 mA to top them up after a hard day's starting.

I got the lipo batteries from hobby king uk from their bargain box iirc.

I also bought several of their excellent glo drivers, under a fiver each, link in a 2 cell lipo, press a button and 20 seconds of glo, works for me.

Chris has used my Sullivan Dynatron, even with 12v it surprised him due to the torque on start up. Even though it's a 12/24v operation, using 24v just makes the copper switch arc together and stick on.

Also, up-coming swopmeets might produce a quality item as a good price. I've seen Align starter sets got for a good price, and most were brand new or hardly used.

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I treated myself to an Align heli starter with spinner cone from RC HeliGuru at Weston Park. Nice yellow box so I can see it in my mirrors when leaving if I leave it at the field! Lots of power & very convenient epecially in the dark at Weston this weekend.

I don't like spending money but I do like stuff that just works, and works well! laugh

Pretty much exactly that Ken...the real trick is attaching the Lipo to the starter in a way that keeps it out of the way. When I did mine I simply cable tied the Lipo to the starter as a temporary "lash up" to see how it worked in practice. Two years later I'm ashamed to say the Lipo is still attached to the starter with the same two cable ties....embarrassed

For the connection I used an XT60. I measured the current taken by the starter turning over a cold 91 2 stroke & it was 40 odd amps so the XT60 will take that no problem.

I use a 3S 2200mAh Lipo & the starter has way more power than with the 7Ah SLA that used to power it.....go for it...you'll be glad you did...thumbs up