Greenacres 2015 fly-ins chat

Gary,

You would be very surprised just how many autogyro pilots have no fascination with helicopters, which have driven rotors of course. As they fly very much like a fix wing I would be happy to say that an 'A' fixed wing is more in fitting.

I have been flying at Greenacres with my gyros for a number of years and it has never been a problem. In fact, the organisers are full of encouraged to fly rather than not, most will fly along with you to.

Rich

Advert

I would like to chip in with my two pence worth.

For me, the attraction of the Greenacres event is that it has been about ordinary, everyday modellers, flying together. Pretty much with everyday models

At the same time I do like to see and admire the show stopper type aircraft, both in flight and on the ground. For me, these are best flown in a allocated slot, with the rest of the everyday modellers and models on the ground. At the same time, I would not want these slots be the dominant feature. After all there are shows, where they rightly take centre stage, one high light following another, until the observers become immune to the spectacle, seeing it as normal. Greenacres flyin is to my mind an informal get together, for fun flying.

Although nothing to do with me at all, I have reservations about anything, that neighbours to the field or other users of the field could construe as a loud, unpleasant noise. However much us aeromodellers can be seduced by the spectacle of speed, which can come with noise.

Posted by Richard Harris on 09/12/2014 20:01:00:

Gary,

You would be very surprised just how many autogyro pilots have no fascination with helicopters, which have driven rotors of course. As they fly very much like a fix wing I would be happy to say that an 'A' fixed wing is more in fitting.

I have been flying at Greenacres with my gyros for a number of years and it has never been a problem. In fact, the organisers are full of encouraged to fly rather than not, most will fly along with you to.

Rich

Thanks for the feedback Rich - I'm reassured to hear that they fly like a fixed wing plane as that gives me a fighting chance of controlling it.

Can we take it as definitive then that the requirement for flying an Autogyro at Greenacres is a Fixed Wing "A" certificate, or does someone else need to provide the final word?

Gary

Talking about certificates: I plan to attend the 4/5 July event, but as a foreigner (Dutch), can I take it that I will be allowed to participate in the flying, holding an A certificate from the Dutch BMFA equivalent, the KNVvL? I have a 3rd party insurance through that same organisation.

Max.

Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 09/12/2014 20:45:31:

Cymaz, I will do my upmost to get the Stampe there for you this year just so you don't feel the odd one out, or just the odd one this time wink 2

Lovely, a brace of Stampes at the very least. Cheersyes

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/11/2014 23:40:31:

Very very hot off the press, the proposed dates for the Greenacres events 2015 are....

Drum roll...

• RCM&E Fly in - 4th and 5th July

These do just need to be agreed by the local council, but they have never objected to any dates the club have proposed in the past.

This presents me with a quandry, this weekend is traditionally the woodspringwings show, one that the Blackdown RCFC, of which I am now secretary, attends and displays at every year, my 1st year as secretary and I'm going to have to be absent what will the committee say surprise

Posted by Phil Winks on 15/12/2014 20:19:10:

Very very hot off the press, the proposed dates for the Greenacres events 2015 are....

Drum roll...

These do just need to be agreed by the local council, but they have never objected to any dates the club have proposed in the past.

This presents me with a quandry, this weekend is traditionally the woodspringwings show, one that the Blackdown RCFC, of which I am now secretary, attends and displays at every year, my 1st year as secretary and I'm going to have to be absent what will the committee say surprise

Tell em van broke downwink

John

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by john stones 1 on 15/12/2014 20:30:57:
Posted by Phil Winks on 15/12/2014 20:19:10:

Drum roll...

Tell em van broke downwink

John

Thats just naughty John cheeky

however the other thing it may mean is a certain lack of traders, Merlin inovations are always at woodspring wings too and its a much bigger payday for them so my money's on them going to Yatton

Merlin don't seem to do the shows anymore. The last few shows I've been at they were supposed to come, but even though the ground peg said Merlin, they never showed up. He did say he's doing more at home now, as they lost the Horizon initiative, so no more kits they can get at special price, which is sad...

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Max Z on 09/12/2014 22:25:13:

Talking about certificates: I plan to attend the 4/5 July event, but as a foreigner (Dutch), can I take it that I will be allowed to participate in the flying, holding an A certificate from the Dutch BMFA equivalent, the KNVvL? I have a 3rd party insurance through that same organisation.

Max.

Max

I am not sure about this, and from what I can see no one has commented/answered your question, maybe email a copy of the certificate etc to Greenacres MFC to check?

Regards

Geoff

Max.

Hi Max

not a problem if you want to attend, if someone at greenacres can ask BMFA, if there is a reciprocal arrangement with the Dutch KNVvL, if as i suspect not then all is not lost, we hosted a visit from a group of flyers from Spain a couple of years ago and all it requires is a temporary BMFA membership for each pilot, you in this instance, its £5 for a months membership for full cover.

i hope this helps

chris

• 2 weeks later...

A thought, It would appear that there will be a number of "fun type fighters" at Greenacres this year. Typically these models have no UC and not all will come with an experienced helper to hand launch the model. Could some suitably experienced launchers be generally made available. the basis would be if the model goes in on launch, it is the pilots fault always, not the launcher?