Replacement Car

Erfolg

My present car is now long in the tooth, having had it now, I believe for 8 years, so far of untroubled use (it is now 10 years old). I recognise that this cannot go on for ever, having done some 90, 000 miles.

I have also to say I have been and remain very happy wih the car. Even though it is pitifully slow, that is compared with the Porsche that it replaced. I no longer overtake, because speed traps abound where you safely can. Plus with age, I am that old codger who gets in the way, although not as slow as the couple who should have handed their licence in years ago.

The one failure of my cat is its carrying capability, I can only get small models in the boot, at about 1m. Bigger models are carried on the back seat. Sometimes I have to take the wings of, and then I am able to use the passenger seat in addition.

I have been thinking of buying a BMW 3 series GT. The reason being is that it has a tailgate, fold down seats. Has anybody got one? If so what do they think of it.

I am also considering a 3 series Touring, although I am really put of my estates cars reminding me of hearses. I am in no hurry to go in one.

There is also an option, I think, to get something more sporty, with style, which my wife would drive and I would take over her X1, As she will not allow two of the same cars, as in the Howard and Hilda syndrome.

At the moment I favour the GT, so any modeller experience?

Advert

"I have also to say I have been and remain very happy wih the car. Even though it is pitifully slow, that is compared with the Porsche that it replaced. I no longer overtake, because speed traps abound where you safely can. Plus with age, I am that old codger who gets in the way, although not as slow as the couple who should have handed their licence in years ago."

Do you wear a hat as well Erfolg?

For practicality, comfort and value for money, It's the Mondeo Estate every time. I've had mine from new in 2008 (2.0 Diesel) has 115000 on the clock now and has never let me down. Several club mates have expressed amazement at the huge boot when the seats are down and have gone on to swap their vehicles for a Mondy on the strength of that alone!. I can't imagine buying anything different when I do eventually replace it.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 15/12/2014 23:28:53:

get a volvo estate. job sorted.

Yeap - totally agree. I have a V70 with 180k on the clock - just nicely run in! Totally reliable, quite luxurious! And space by the bucketful. I've driven several Mondeos as hire cars with work - they don't come close!

BEB

I bought a mk 4 Mondeo estate a month ago to replace my old Focus estate - and this from someone who used to hate Fords! What won me over was the reliability of modern Fords, the low cost of spares, ease of basic maintenance and reasonable feature list in the mid range models. I could live comfortably in the back of the Silver Whale there's that much room.

If you don't want or need a 6'6" loadspace then the Mondeo or Focus hatchbacks are still pretty big inside, and as they're not German brands you ARE allowed to use indicators devil

Another vote for a Mondeo.

Mine is 2001 and well oil soaked, but it does take a fully rigged flair se5a, 3 other models and a four year old boy in the back.

Serioulsy looking at the skoda Superb when the time comes. The other car is a skoda fabia estate which has a suprisingly big boot for what is essentially a polo. Not in the same league as the others - it's quite narrow but long.

Posted by will -0 on 16/12/2014 11:16:43:

Another vote for a Mondeo.

Mine is 2001 and well oil soaked, but it does take a fully rigged flair se5a, 3 other models and a four year old boy in the back.

Serioulsy looking at the skoda Superb when the time comes. The other car is a skoda fabia estate which has a suprisingly big boot for what is essentially a polo. Not in the same league as the others - it's quite narrow but long.

Yep and that is one of the reasons I'm on my 2nd Mondeo.

I am very reluctant to buy any other car than BMW. It is the only marque that has not cost me a fortune in repairs, never mind servicing.

I am hoping there is a member with a 3 series GT (it is a hatch back)., who can provide an indication if they work for a modeller, particularly one that does not want to disassemble anything less than 1.5m. I also like the higher driving position of the X1 and the GT appears to be a half way house between the saloon and the X1.

I do not like hearses, the Touring version, just like other estate cars are just to reminiscent.

I could possibly consider a HONDA CRV, although daughter No. 1 had one that used to eat brake pads. She now has a S Max, which I am not to impressed with. Also the Toyota RAV 4, seems aright, although driving company supplied Toyotas, did not overly impress.

Is there no one with a GT, even a 5 series.

I have driven many of the other vehicles suggested, in general they were all fine cars, other than the odd one.

As to do I wear a hat, is that when driving? If that is the question, it is a no. When flying, i normally need one, being bald (kahl, like my name).

Edited By Erfolg on 16/12/2014 13:09:45