ASP 61 FS without locknut?

Jack Banner

Hi all,

I am installing a well run in ASP 61 FS into a plane I am re-fitting. I want a metal spinner on it to match the cowl but have an issue.

The drive shaft is not long enough to take the spinner back plate, prop, prop washer, main nut, lock nut and spinner nut all together.

Ideally (to prevent a thrown prop in case of backfire) I should include the lock nut, as below (tightened up of course):

locknut.jpg

However, can I have opinions on it being safe to run as below? (with the spinner bolted on of course).

spinner nut.jpg

The alloy spinner nut has a good 10mm of prop shaft to hold onto and is tight. Arranged like this I can fit the spinner and tighten it up with the M4 bolt no problem.

Is it safe though? I personally think it is OK but am really looking for some re-assurance.

All help appreciated.

Advert

Using two plane nuts to secure an item is a well known method.however on model engines the second nut has a taper and a split that compresses onto the shaft as it is tightened for extra security.many older engines did not have this but they still worked.[more chance of a prop spin off with a backfire]My Laser 150 has only one nut.For extra security you could use thredlock.

Edited By john davies 8 on 24/12/2014 22:31:36

I had the same problem with my Vmar Tomahawk and fitted the prop and spinner the same way and as John said I filed a chamfer onto the spinner adapter to fit inside the prop nut. Nice and easy as it's only plated brass nut!

As a little more security I also used some blue threadlock and haven't had a problem with it throwing props or loosening off yet..

You should be fine. Just tighten the nuts up really well. I would be tempted to replace the original inner nut with a normal type to give more friction area rather than rely on the rim of the recessed original nut..

I have had people whose props have spun off. I find that they do not tighten the nuts properly. Really heave on long spanners.

IT seems that they were afraid of snapping the crankshaft!!!!

Model Fixings also to special friction washers which you could use as belt and braces.

I have several models where I didn't use the locking nut due to having to do the above. I know, 'cause I have a drawer full of locking nuts and many planes with ali spinners on them. To date not had a problem with any of them, apart from a couple using domed spinners, where I could only use the dome nut only. The better ones of them, mainly for larger engines is where a hollow is machined out, allowing a nut inside the dome spinner.

Jack,

I have a colleague that runs a four stroke with exactly your arrangement and his has been ok; but having said that he’s never had an incident of engine detonation to test it.

When the engine is running normally the prop nut will constantly be tightened by the engine’s motion, it will never become undone, but if it stops suddenly, (cause - detonation!), the energy in the fast moving prop will cause it to unwind, often in quite a spectacular manner, it can fly forward a fair distance at speed. Also engine starters, when they are in good form, can spin off the prop because the starter is trying to undo the nut, again at fairly high speed and usually across the pits area; but this can apply to two stokes as well. So it’s quite important to makes sure the prop nut(s) are as tight as possible in the first instance. One small point, detonation will only generally occur when the engine is running near/at flat out.

Thus it really is seriously a good idea to never ever stand in front of a running engine under any circumstances, that is your good self or anyone else. A locknut, of any sort, probably helps, but it’s still no guarantee, I’ve seen one instance where the clinch type lock nut, as in photo 1, was taken straight off as well, just as if it wasn’t on, and I’ve heard of other similar cases. And there was a case reported that someone was quite badly hurt when he was standing in front of a running four stoke. He open the throttle and ‘bang’, the prop buried itself in his thigh, and the spinner cone made a hole in his chest. This was a few years ago, now.

Therefore provided I always took note of my own advice, and that’s not always a certain thing I have to admit, I would be quite happy to run your installation as it is.

I believe Laser engines have a wedge shaped combustion chamber, which very much helps to prevent detonation; and I suppose in theory that the prop could be thrown off if the throttle was shut quickly enough. But for a variety of reasons the engine progressively slows down, so I’d think this an unlikely event; although it might happen with electric motors in some circumstances.

PB

I had a laser 80 backfire in the air, and the prop/dome nut span off. No engine is immune to back-firing, just how intense it it. Had my OS 91FS backfire in my old Jamara mustang, and if loosened the nut, seemed to keep it contained.

I got the AT-6 down minus the prop/ spinner, probably buried in Langar's surrounding field now...